PDA

View Full Version : Advice on using Soil Cultivator/Rotadarion?

DavidNJ
02-17-2011, 12:37 AM
On a Dingo TX425. The soil texture is 50-70% silt, 15-30% clay, 10-25% sand. Silty loam. There is a layer of dead grass over most of it, and still about 6" of snow, but melting fast.

What are the right conditions to use the soil culivator?

Should it only be used when the soil is relatively dry?

Should lime be put on the surface before using the cultivator?

Should a top dressing be spread before using the cultivator?
If a top dressing is used, it should it be a compost/top soil or kiln dried sand?
There are parts of the spoil that have hardened to rock like formations. Should the soil cultivation be done in multiple passes at increasing depth?
Is there a preferred oil for the auxliary circuit that drives the soil cultivator?

What else needs to be considered and accounted for?

http://www.495rental.com/images/dingo_cultivator.jpg

DavidNJ
02-18-2011, 08:17 PM
Bump...doesn't someone have some experience to share? :(

DavidNJ
02-19-2011, 08:25 AM
Bump, bump, bump...still dribbling the ball. However, it would be helpful to get a response today....

DavidNJ
02-20-2011, 01:13 PM
This is the cultivator I have...and the Dingo.

Dirt Boy
02-20-2011, 07:57 PM
Well, I doubt that I can add to much above your already common sense. But, that shouldn't stop me:)
So, I'll tell you my experience (same attachment) is that if you try and work the soil when it's too wet, it will be a waste of time in general. And if you are using the crumbler attachment in front, it will be one big ball of mud packed inside (don't ask me how I know!)
OTOH, if you want the soil to dry out quicker and are prepared to go over it 2 or more times, leaving it set for a period of time in between, then leave the crumbler off. But still if the soil is too wet, it don't work too good. You will know within about 5'.
- as far as amendments go, it's always good to work them in.
- rocky or hard places, yes go over them multiple times if possible.
- the oil for the attachment is the same as what is used for the remainder of the machine, so whatever you use in the mini, is what is going to be in the attachment, so whatever Toro recommends.
- as far as lime, sand, etc. I don't really know, but a soil test would be the proper thing to have done first, and you are not going to be tilling more than 4" -6" deep so all amendments should be incorporated before planting IMO.
-it looks as though you have a lot of silt, which would not generally be a good thing. I would try to get more organic material, compost, etc. into the soil mix, which would be a help to any type of yard.

Hope that helps:)

White Gardens
02-20-2011, 08:26 PM
Answers after each question. Dirtboy pretty well summed it up though.

What are the right conditions to use the soil culivator?

Dry and relatively loose soil. Too hard and it will take forever and a day to break up the old sod.

Should it only be used when the soil is relatively dry?

Yes

Should lime be put on the surface before using the cultivator?

Not unless you've taken soil samples and the lawn calls for lime.

Should a top dressing be spread before using the cultivator?

Yes

If a top dressing is used, it should it be a compost/top soil or kiln dried sand?

I would use a good screened compost

There are parts of the spoil that have hardened to rock like formations. Should the soil cultivation be done in multiple passes at increasing depth?

Yes. Once the machine starts to jump around, you'll know then to raise it.

Is there a preferred oil for the auxliary circuit that drives the soil cultivator?

What's in the machine will be fine. Only time you might worry about the oil is if you rent an attachment from somewhere, and sometimes they use a different weight oil.

What else needs to be considered and accounted for?

If the soil is extremely hard, be prepared to be doing it for a while.

http://www.495rental.com/images/dingo_cultivator.jpg

DavidNJ
02-20-2011, 09:23 PM
Thanks....

Already have the soil tests and need to add 50# then 35# of lime. I'm wondering if it is mixed to 4-5", if the whole 85# can be done in one application.

The soil is a silty loam and easily turns to mud when wet. It will have to be done when it is (hopefully) well drained. A wet Spring would be bad.

FerrisDiesel
07-28-2011, 12:37 PM
so here's my question....im going to be prepping for sod come the end of August. I will spray the round up and kill off all the old gras and weeds, then mow it really low. Will it be alright if I use the dingo soil cultivator to till the dead weeds and grass into the soil?? Or do I want to get the dead grass and weeds out before I lay down the sod??

DavidNJ
07-28-2011, 01:06 PM
All the videos and articles I saw showed the grass and weeds being turned under.However there will still be seeds that may germinate in the future. Also, you won't be able to use the Rotadarion near trees; at least that has been my experience.
Posted via Mobile Device

FerrisDiesel
07-28-2011, 03:25 PM
Thanks DavidNJ,
I know this is your thread, how did you make out doing the job you did with your Dingo?? Are there alot of weeds in the final product?