PDA

View Full Version : Routing

srl28
02-17-2011, 03:00 PM
What are you guys using to route crew/crews to maintenance accounts each week? Anyone using software to do it or somehow using a google maps type system to route?

coyote10
02-17-2011, 04:08 PM
I don't have crews, but when I used to work route delivery we got a cork board, a paper map and different colored push pins (the ones with the colored round balls on the end) or thumb tacks. Different color every day of the week. Easy to visualize the routes.

walker-talker
02-17-2011, 07:41 PM
I am a one man show, but I use Lawn Monkey for all my routing and invoicing. You can assign crew to specific customer and print out a route sheet in the morning. The route sheets are fully customizible. I have an area that I can put my start and stop times. I usually don't print them just for myself, but on occasion when I have a hard time remember some new customers I will. It's pricy though....around $1200, but it has lots of bells and whistles. Area for just employees, equipment maintenance and other stuff. You can set up job profiles for like weed/feed programs. Instead of adding 6 individual step, just one 6 step program. You can schedule apps by zones. For an additional $400 or so, you can purchase the mapping software that will print out a map for your crews to follow. It does have some limited accounting features.

You can also get Qxpress, also made my Alocet that intergrates with Quickbooks. It's a little cheaper I think.

I will tell you the downfall. Support is up after 1 year and will cost you $300 a year if you want to keeps support.

Gone Green
02-17-2011, 09:41 PM
If you're personally managing the routing and know the stops by heart then QXPress, in my opinion, is the most cost effective while providing that hands on function. Be ready to put as much effort into setting it up!

Ted at HindSite
02-18-2011, 10:07 AM
Are you doing multiple crews? We've got a nice interface with MapPoint, puts all the accounts on the map so you can just drag a box around an area and assign it to one crew's schedule (and yes, actually route it after that). Really easy to use.

srl28
02-18-2011, 10:33 AM
Just heard about mappoint actually. Do you have any more info on it? And yes,m most likely more than 1 crew to be setup on this system.

Ted at HindSite
02-18-2011, 10:48 AM
MapPoint won't handle any of the scheduling, but it does a decent job of routing if the list doesn't get too big. We can take the lats and lons and plug them into our scheduler.

We like it because it's easy for our software to work with it, but I'm not sure if you want to buy it as a standalone... for just working out a schedule on a map, I'd stick to Google maps, just because it's free. Here's a link to it on amazon (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=map+point&x=0&y=0)...

walker-talker
02-18-2011, 12:36 PM
That's what Lawn Monkey uses for mapping....Map Point.

Green Feet Lawn
02-19-2011, 12:00 PM
I have Microsoft streets and trips. It allows me to put every address in and chose where I want to start and finish. Then it will optimize the stops. For my weekly maintenance, I follow this. Whenever I sign up a new customer, I add the address and optimize and it puts it right in the route.

I really love it for my snowplowing routes.

tradeyouraccounts
02-19-2011, 01:11 PM
I have Microsoft streets and trips. It allows me to put every address in and chose where I want to start and finish. Then it will optimize the stops. For my weekly maintenance, I follow this. Whenever I sign up a new customer, I add the address and optimize and it puts it right in the route.

I really love it for my snowplowing routes.

Is there are charge for Microsoft streets and trips?

srl28
02-19-2011, 01:16 PM
Just downloaded a free 60 day trial, after that its $39.95

Green Feet Lawn
02-19-2011, 03:15 PM
Is there are charge for Microsoft streets and trips?

I bought it a few years ago. I am sure you can buy it online and download it.

dschumacher
05-04-2011, 10:43 AM
Plenty of routing software out there, most requires me to do scheduling and routing manually, ie merely a data entry tool. I found this one can automatically generate schedule and routing. Pretty neat, it's a free thing. Cool!

http://www.optimow.net

Or consider using lawnpro http://lawnprosoftware.com , or clip, if you don't mind spending some money, their solution looks more sophisticated, too complicated for my simple lawn care business. a thing to keep in mind is when you have many crews, the schedule has to be good to save time. Good luck.

POWER STROKE
05-21-2011, 12:44 AM
I used the "newmapquest.com" They now have a Route planner You just put in where you are starting from and then put in all your stops for the day and then it route out the fastest, route first and so on, It is free it don't cost a thing.

daveyo
05-21-2011, 06:37 PM
Qxpress, with map point, set up qxpress no problem, Takes all my information straight from qbooks no manual input of all my customers. I put the days schedule "on route" via qxpress at the end of the day I click "route completed" at the end of the month I batch all my completed routes, click a button send them to qbooks, then bill my customers. I also do a ton of other stuff via qxpress, sq footage of all my customers, pesticide scheduling and routing, I have all the info for the pest I use print right onto my schedule, etc, etc..