PDA

View Full Version : best dump truck?????

HHlandscaping
02-17-2011, 04:30 PM
Mason dump or Landsacpe body , gas or diesel, crew cab or extended cab?

2wd or 4wd ......also if a truck is too big will it be hard to use in snow removal ??

CLARK LAWN
02-17-2011, 05:07 PM
what are you doing with the truck, mostly mowing,hardscapes? what do you plan on plowing? you see were this is going?

Landrus2
02-17-2011, 05:35 PM
Mason dump or Landscape body , gas or diesel, crew cab or extended cab?

2wd or 4wd ......also if a truck is too big will it be hard to use in snow removal ??

landscape body for landscaping. mason body for construction
if you have a crew to transport crew cab
diesel has more tork.

HHlandscaping
02-17-2011, 07:10 PM
I have a Dodge I use for lawn maintenance rite now but looking for another truck for installs and plowing parking lots. sometimes I mite have 3 guys working for me sometimes 2 guys so its kinda hard to say about the cab size. also people say dont get into the ford 6.0 due to alot of problems . so I see chevys' and Gm's but alot of them arent crew cabs . except for cab overs .how is the plowing with cab overs ???

doubleedge
02-18-2011, 11:54 AM
I have a Dodge I use for lawn maintenance rite now but looking for another truck for installs and plowing parking lots. sometimes I mite have 3 guys working for me sometimes 2 guys so its kinda hard to say about the cab size. also people say dont get into the ford 6.0 due to alot of problems . so I see chevys' and Gm's but alot of them arent crew cabs . except for cab overs .how is the plowing with cab overs ???

Unless you like to spend thousands in repairs or want to pay to remove the emission system, stay away from the ford 6.0. Many of them were good, but there are a bunch with problems.

Get the extended cab; if you are making short trips, the back seat will be good enough. I took a 1.5 hour trip in the back of an extended cab truck; I was a little cramped back there, but it was bearable.

GM makes a relatively reliable vehicle; I don't think that you would have many problems if you bought one. Ford gas engines are reliable too, except for some spark plug issues.

A gas engine would be fine if you plan to haul/tow a combined 8000 lbs or so. The later ford v10 engines are good for a bit more than that. If you plan to haul/tow a combined 10000+ lbs, you will be much happier with a diesel motor.

Cabover vehicles are good for plowing large, open lots and have great visibility, but keep in mind that they usually are only 2WD, so you will need to add a lot of weight to maintain traction. Additionally, you would have to custom make a mount for the snow plow, because the plow manufacturers don't make them.