PDA

View Full Version : What would you use?

Century Landscape
02-17-2011, 10:37 PM
Hey guys,

I've got a customer wants a bid on removing quite a few shrubs, several of which are the size of small trees - we're talking about 6" in diameter on the main trunk at the base - and I'm wondering, how would you normally remove these?

I've got some experience removing these shrubs and moving stuff around, but nothing this big before. I currently don't have any heavy equipment, but will rent as necessary. I'm thinking maybe a mini excavator?? Any better suggestions?

Oh yeah, of course going to be putting more shrubs back in the same spot, so I'd like to get existing stuff pulled up roots and all. I have done some of this work with a shovel before, don't want to again!

Thanks

paponte
02-17-2011, 11:03 PM
Skid steer with a 4in1 bucket.

ReddensLawnCare
02-17-2011, 11:09 PM
I have pulled out some hefty bushes with around a 4.5-6 inch diameter. I soaked the ground..dug out some dirt by hand and try to get a chain under and around the bush...then pull out with a 4*4 truck...wont work if roots are really deep though

Century Landscape
02-18-2011, 12:06 AM
Thanks guys,

Does a skid steer give you more lifting power vs a mini excavator?

I like that the mini excavator would allow me to dig out if necessary

Strick
02-18-2011, 09:51 PM
I would go with the mini-ex also. It will be able to dig all the way around shrubs easier, especially if close to house or building.

Century Landscape
02-19-2011, 12:26 AM
thanks for the input guys

greenchoppers
02-19-2011, 01:08 AM
We have pulled azaleas, hawthornes, boxwoods and the like with the truck and a good chain. I have heard that pulling ligustrums is a very pain staking process and you need and excavator due to the amount of roots. Hope this helps.

PS: Dig around the base to loosen the dirt then pull with the truck. Good luck

Century Landscape
02-19-2011, 01:15 AM
Yeah, I've got a 4x4 ford that might could get the job done, but man that yard would look like crap when I got done!

Do the mini excavators (like the small Bobcats) tear the yards up pretty bad? Obviously, wouldn't be doin' donuts with the zero turn excavator.

greenchoppers
02-19-2011, 01:20 AM
It shouldn't tear up a dry yard too bad. You may want to lay down plywood or something and let the excavator walk on the plywood instead of on the turf. Perhaps, some of the other guys here who use excavators regularly can provide a better method.

We had like a 30-feet long chain. The truck stayed on the road. I know this isn't always feasible but it worked that time. We had to jerk the truck to pop the shrubs out of the ground but they usually give up fairly easily.

Green Feet Lawn
02-19-2011, 10:59 AM
We had like a 30-feet long chain. The truck stayed on the road. I know this isn't always feasible but it worked that time. We had to jerk the truck to pop the shrubs out of the ground but they usually give up fairly easily.

NEVER use a chain. If it breaks or comes off, it will kill someone. A steel slingshot. We use a 4" wide nylon tow strap.

MarkintheGarden
02-19-2011, 11:10 AM
Pulling out shrubs with a chain or strap and a truck works great, but there is the potential for destroying the yard. Use a pick ax for doing the hand work as it works much better than a shovel. Even if you are using a machine to get them out the pick ax works great for knocking the dirt from the roots.

NPMinc
02-19-2011, 02:36 PM
NEVER use a chain. If it breaks or comes off, it will kill someone. A steel slingshot. We use a 4" wide nylon tow strap.

Agree 100% with this I once saw a municipal loader attempting to pull out a fire engine that was sunk in the mud the chain broke n went flying and hit the back of the loader so hard it punched through the metal engine cover! Thank goodness no one was stuck in its path.

Also if attempting to pull the rootball with anything it makes it much easier and less likely to damge a lawn if you dig around first and cut any spread out roots under the surface. I usually use a battery powered sawzall with a long green wood or pruning blade for this, to avoid dulling a chainsaw by hitting the dirt. i have seen people pull without making cuts and pull roots up from underground up to 20' out into the yard!

arbor pro
02-22-2011, 03:46 PM
mini skid steer with 4-in-1 bucket or pallet forks. Instead of lifting with the pallet forks, you get under the roots and tilt the forks up or down and use the other end of the forks for lifting leverage (like a pry bar). works like a dream. Or as others have mentioned, a chain or tow strap - I like a tow strap. Take a 20' x 2" strap, choke it around the shrub or tree and hook on with a clevis to your mini skid or pickup and pull. the flex gives you extra pulling power and, if it breaks, not as deadly as a chain.

Agape
02-22-2011, 04:28 PM

Jeez, we're talkin about bushes and shrubs, not 20' Oak trees or a fire engine in the mud, but a nylon strap may be better- a chain is more adjustable though.

Century Landscape
02-23-2011, 07:41 AM
I'm planning on going with the mini excavator. My brother used one to get out quite a few tallow trees and said it worked like a champ. Instead of pulling, he recommended digging up around it a little to losen the dirt and cut off branching roots, then curl the bucket in under the main trunk to cut off all roots below while digging it out.

I guess I'll try that route, it seems better than pulling out - probably should put less weight on the mini-ex and much less likely to tear up the yard. Being an ENGINEER and an older brother, naturally he knows the best way to do everything:hammerhead: Ah well, I appreciate all input.

Thanks guys!:)