PDA

View Full Version : Enclosed vs Open trailer? What to buy

Mikol87
02-17-2011, 11:08 PM
I am in the market for a 16 foot trailer to replace my old 5X10 landscape trailer. Here is what I haul on a usual mowing day......

1 scagg ZTR (may be investing in a 2nd)
2 Echo trimmers
2 Stihl blowers
2 push mowers
2 gas cans
1 trash can
Baggers for push mowers

Of course I have chain saws, hedge trimmers, and countless other essential tools but I don't carry these on a regular basis.

The question......:confused:
What is your opinion on the trailer to buy? A 16 foot enclosed or open landscape trailer?

I know it would be nice to keep my equipment safe and dry but I do like the landscape trailer-type I've used in the past. Everybody gets to see my awesome equipment when I cruse down the street!:cool2: Plus I it comes in handy for hauling junk, limbs, etc.

The obvious answer would be to keep the old trailer for hauling junk, limbs, etc and buy the enclosed trailer. Remember, It's only a 5X10 and I'm somewhat limited on space to park it. And I could use a few more bucks to put toward the new one.

Any input on your experiences in the past would be well appreciated. Thanks for reading my dilemma:waving:

paponte
02-17-2011, 11:17 PM
I think 16' is way more than you need with one mower. If you are looking to add a second in the near future, then it is fine. We use enclosed for all our smaller machines, and open for large mowers, simply because the large machines don't fit in the enclosed.

StihlBR600
02-17-2011, 11:30 PM
If you are a solo operator i would for sure go with a 16 foot open landscape. Cheaper, lighter and you can load it up with debris. It you do fall cleanups its a lot easier loading and unloading a open lanscape rather than a enclosed. Honestly the only thing enclosed are good for is keeping equipment safe while storing and advertising.

mowerbrad
02-17-2011, 11:33 PM
Enclosed trailers are much safer since you can lock them all up...in fact many insurance companies will give you a little bit better price if you have an enclosed trailer. Plus they can act as a billboard.

I have an open trailer and couldn't be happier with it. I can haul debris, mowers, etc. It does everything I need it to and then some.

jay12
02-17-2011, 11:47 PM
I have to agree. The enclosed trailer will be a good purchase. I would suggest going with the full 8 or 8.5 ft wide for more room inside. I like having the space. The best thing about enclosed is you come home on friday night at 8 oclock, its dark and you park it, lock the doors and your done until monday, especially if you have a dedicated mowing truck. Like someone earlier mentioned its much safer as well, you dont have to worry about throwing tools off or losing anything, and much less likely to have anything stolen. I really like my enclosed. I will give you my only two complaints, its hard to see around in a tight space, and it pulls hard when compared to an open trailer.

Marek
02-18-2011, 09:42 AM
If you are in this for the long haul buy a Pace Summit. Great trailers , on the expensive side but well worth it.

Mikol87
02-18-2011, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the input. I do quite a bit of tree trimming and hauling junk for people. I may just go with an open trailer for this year. It sucks having to back it into my garage after I'm done mowing all the time. But I know my equipment is safe and dry. Next year though, I am hoping to invest in the enclosed trailer and just have 2 trailers. Thanks again!

P.S we hit 68 degrees here in Iowa yesterday!!!!!! Come on grass start growing!!!!

Agape
02-18-2011, 11:47 AM
I like to look good, and I have an open trailer. Very hard to keep looking clean-Nooks and crannys, expanded metal, would be nice to have something I could just wash the sides on.

DoetschOutdoor
02-18-2011, 01:58 PM
Save up and get both. I got an enclosed trailer for my mowing rig and 16' open for cleanups and landscape jobs. Having an open trailer and getting it all nasty and then having to put mowers on it sucks IMO.