PDA

View Full Version : Big trucks= cheaper

teejet
02-18-2011, 12:04 PM
I can get an F700 1995 with 12 ft flatbed 429 engine automatic 50K miles for $3700.
Add a hoist kit and it also dumps.
Now I know it will probably average 8 mpg, not good if alot of miles per yr.

Now, I just can't find any 1 tons that are as solid of a truck for even 3 times that price.

What are the cons of these large trucks,(using for landscaping)

stuvecorp
02-18-2011, 01:01 PM
I set up a Kodiak 33,000gvw with a 13' contractors body and don't like it compared to the 450/550 size trucks. To me it's too big, but you are right the bigger trucks seem to cost much less.

KS_Grasscutter
02-18-2011, 01:06 PM
People like 1 tons cuz they will be under CDL requirements based on gvw. I would guess that explains the demand for 1 tons, and thus, the price.
Posted via Mobile Device

hosejockey2002
02-20-2011, 12:49 AM
Now I know it will probably average 8 mpg, not good if alot of miles per yr.

Now, I just can't find any 1 tons that are as solid of a truck for even 3 times that price.

What are the cons of these large trucks,(using for landscaping)

8 mpg?? Guess again. That motor might get 8 mpg in an F350. In an F700 I would guess 5-6 mpg empty and 3-5 mpg loaded. That is pretty much the con of using that truck. They have extremely low gearing which will pull your load, but it comes at the price of mpg.

ParkWelding
02-20-2011, 11:51 AM
Big Trucks = Big Bucks

A formula you should always remember.

4 seasons lawn&land
02-20-2011, 12:36 PM
regular trucks are much more versatile, more demand, more money. Big trucks are definately cheaper. more to fix sometimes though

ParkWelding
02-20-2011, 02:04 PM
Just when you think you got a great deal on a cheap Ford/International/Isuzu/Mitsu etc, you will go to get parts for said truck, and realize what you got into. If you don't need a "big" truck, don't buy one.

meets1
02-21-2011, 07:16 PM
A friend of mine bought a 650 or 750 ford. He likes it, got a great deal on it, low miles, put a dump kit on and life was good.

Now that he has had the truck for 2 years with light use, the dollars are adding up to where he is thinking of going back to a 350-550 truck and maybe pull trailer or different combo.

I think if you need it daily or close to daily use there great but its starting to cost my buddy some money.

stuvecorp
02-22-2011, 12:40 AM
For me when I set up the Kodaik I wasn't really thinking of the future need just a little bigger than the 550 size and I should have just got a tandem/tri axle dump. My 550 weights just under 10,000 pounds but can carry 20,000 so you have 5 ton capacity, the Kodiak can carry 8 tons. I find many places you can't fit the bigger trucks in being taller and longer where the 550 size will back right in and people don't complain about going over the driveway. It is also maybe easier to find drivers for 550 size trucks? They each have their place but it is hard to sell the bigger truck it seems.

Mowingman
02-22-2011, 07:22 AM
Big trucks =
big tire cost
big repair costs
big insurance costs
big annual license/registration fees
very small MPG
I have "been there/done that".
Not the way to go, unless you just have to have the hauling capacity they provide on a regular basis.

4 seasons lawn&land
02-23-2011, 09:48 AM
I dont see how a 7500 size truck can be that much more cost of operation than a 5500 or even 4500. Especially both being diesels. They are both running half size tires. And the bigger truck overal should last alot longer.

4 seasons lawn&land
03-04-2011, 09:43 PM
any more opinions on the cost of op, big truck vs 1 ton. Im still wondering. Obviously bigger parts are going to cost some more but shouldnt a 3 ton truck last alot longer overall than a 1 ton?

stuvecorp
03-05-2011, 02:06 AM
any more opinions on the cost of op, big truck vs 1 ton. Im still wondering. Obviously bigger parts are going to cost some more but shouldnt a 3 ton truck last alot longer overall than a 1 ton?

I would agree with a big truck lasting longer. To be honest I think the Kodiak gets better fuel mileage than my 550. I still will take the 550 over the Kodiak but another contractor in town does the same stuff as me and he loves his bigger truck and hates the 550 size.

Mowingman
03-05-2011, 09:51 AM
Well, they may last longer than a smaller truck, but really, how long are you going to keep it? I have had some good running 1 ton trucks that were 15 years old. Do you plan on keeping the big truck 25 years or so? I doubt it.

BrandonV
03-05-2011, 11:43 AM
i wouldn't go with the big trucks for mowing per se, but if you're in the construction side of things you'll def need at 650 or 750 over the 1 tons. You can haul considerable more, haul it safer and if you work at any kind of distance its what you have to do. We have 3 large trucks (4 if you count our spade but I don't) our dirt/gravel truck/small mulch truck is a ford derated f750 you can haul 7 tons of gravel & dirt, 14yds of mulch a 550 would be struggling w/ half of that amount of gravel/soil. Or mulch truck is a 1998 freightliner fl60, its big is slow but it carries 23yds of mulch or a ton of plants. a f350-550 would have to make a min of 2 trips to do what it does in one, so there is your fuel savings and lets not forget time. when you have a crew waiting for you to go get mulch or material that's not free. our cdl truck is my kodiak 7500. We bought it on ebay for a good deal w/ 2k miles on it and it pulls our 30ft gooseneck w/ what ever. I can get out cat and 2 ditchwitches and all attachments on there and make one trip out of it and it carries all our b&B materials (we have a nursery too) and any sod/pavers we might need that don't add up to a full fledged semi. I'm personally happier having the bigger trucks for work and then a small pickup for the support role everyone is different but if you can keep the work for a med duty truck then it will undoubtedly serve you better/safer/longer than a light duty.

4 seasons lawn&land
03-06-2011, 12:00 PM
Well, they may last longer than a smaller truck, but really, how long are you going to keep it? I have had some good running 1 ton trucks that were 15 years old. Do you plan on keeping the big truck 25 years or so? I doubt it.

No, its not so much how long the frame/body of the truck last. Its about the wear items. Drive train, brakes, front end/chassis parts... if all of those types of things last twice or three times as long on a F-650 than a 350 then that might make up for the higher repair costs, mpg's. It might not though

ParkWelding
03-06-2011, 12:22 PM
If you're concerned about wear items, you're going in the wrong direction unless you're capable of doing every major repair yourself. Even then you might be spending more than you think. If I can find the file of receipts from working on my old international, I'll let you look through them and see that again BIG TRUCKS=BIG BUCKS.

JMO, but companies need to be using the trucks that they actually need. I know that for years we had stuff that was too big, too small or just right. As business changed the "just right" truck changed as well. If you do the same stuff year after year, then you know what you really need. If its a 26k dump "big truck" than get it. Those trucks don't seem worth it unless your sole concern is driving with no CDL. A 33k dump is going to be almost if not exactly the same cost to buy used and to repair, but be way more productive.