PDA

View Full Version : DOT number laws in PA?

Evan528
02-18-2011, 05:38 PM
Can anyone tell me what requirements for needing a DOT number in PA? It seems everyone (including officers) that i talk to has a different understanding.

I do not travel across state lines at all.

My highest GVW combined weight is 24,500LBS wich is an Isuzu NPR HD at 14,500LBS and a dump trailer at 10,000 LBS.

Does getting a DOT number require a log book, dot inspections etc?

mmacsek
02-18-2011, 09:33 PM
A few yeras ago I attended a DOT seminar at a dealer open house. The way I understand it, you do not need a DOT number if you don't cross state lines to do business or if your trailer is under 10,000 lbs. I'm not sure if you need one if you pick up materials in NJ. Yes, You do need to keep logs etc. The seminar was given by a local DOT inspector. Matt

ParkWelding
02-19-2011, 09:08 AM
It is a federal requirement, that is why it is a US DOT number. If you dont travel across the state lines, your number will end in PA, just as mine ends in NY. Also you won't have the USDOT inspections etc. Over 10,000# whether just truck GVW or truck/trailer combined GVW. Come on people, Just get it, ITS FREE!!!

mmacsek
02-19-2011, 09:47 AM
It is a federal requirement, that is why it is a US DOT number. If you dont travel across the state lines, your number will end in PA, just as mine ends in NY. Also you won't have the USDOT inspections etc. Over 10,000# whether just truck GVW or truck/trailer combined GVW. Come on people, Just get it, ITS FREE!!!

Where do you get one? Matt

Evan528
02-19-2011, 10:08 AM
So the number comes with no extra responsibilities? What is the purpose of it if that is the case?

ParkWelding
02-19-2011, 01:27 PM
Where do you get one? Matt

The DOT office closest to me. In my case, its in Albany, NY which is about 25 minutes from my house. You can also apply online and I believe its issued almost immediately as well.

Believe me, it took getting a pile of tickets, TWICE, for me to realize that it is important to have all of your trucks and all of your trailers as close to 100% legal as you can get. It costs way less to get all the stuff that you need than to get tickets for not having it.

We have the most aggressive officers in our area that I have ever heard of, and although you don't want to see them with the lights on, when you are prepared, you don't have to worry. One of the best offers I heard was "Stop by the lot if you see one of our cars there and we will look your truck/trailer over to make sure you are legal. If not we'll let you know what to fix." The alternative is to get pulled over and get the same inspection and pay dearly.

ParkWelding
02-19-2011, 01:32 PM
So the number comes with no extra responsibilities? What is the purpose of it if that is the case?

You know, I have never looked into the reason for having an intrastate USDOT#. Other than to identify that you are where you belong.LOL. I guess I never personally cared. I did mistakenly apply for the DOT# for my first business as interstate, where you would not be restricted to where you could conduct business. After being contacted by someone looking to schedule my inspection, I promptly changed that and have never heard from anyone again.