PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep cats out of your beds?

greenchoppers
02-19-2011, 12:14 AM
I was wondering how you keep cats out of your beds? Someone told me moth balls will keep cats away. Aside from the sometimes unpleasant odor, has anyone tried moth balls or any other repellent?

Thanks.

Century Landscape
02-19-2011, 01:16 AM
Damn, wish I knew.

I'm interested to see the posts on this one. My wife's cat ****'s in my beds all the time and spreads my mulch all over the place.

I don't know of any animal that likes the smell of mothballs . . . correction, I don't know of any thing that likes the smell of mothballs . . period!:)

Century Landscape
02-19-2011, 01:17 AM
I did use moth balls once around the house after I found a snake inside. Have heard other people use this one and it pretty much always works for them.

greendoctor
02-19-2011, 02:56 AM
A three way mix of black pepper, cayenne pepper, and powdered English mustard. Equal parts of each shaken together, then sprinkled where animals do not belong. It works on dogs that go where they should not be going also.

Hoy landscaping
02-19-2011, 02:13 PM
i have a dog. and if she doesnt work i have a .22

GreenI.A.
02-19-2011, 05:22 PM
becareful with the mothballs. A guy was using them for skunks and a eighbors cat eat a few and died. When they tracked down what happened the vet notified the state, and the guy was fined. I forget the actual wording but it was along the lines of imporper use of a pesticide or something along those lines

Az Gardener
02-19-2011, 06:31 PM
In an effort to get this back on track I would also welcome a non lethal control method for cats. I built this really nice planting table for my wife and the cats, 3 one for each of our boys, think its a giant litter box. Its about the size of a pool table and its under our patio cover. I will try the pepper mix but I have never had any luck with those types of concoctions. Bring it on what else has worked for you.

ElephantNest
02-24-2011, 08:57 AM
Motion-activated sprinkler, works great!

Agape
02-24-2011, 12:10 PM
What NAZI deleted my post about my cute killer "IZZY"?
Izzy would never poo in beds! he's a polite kitty!

Kiril
02-24-2011, 12:23 PM
Wood chips.

yardguy28
02-24-2011, 12:24 PM
around here we don't worry about cats, dogs or any other animals getting into mulch beds.

it all decomposes anyway......

SuperMag
02-24-2011, 12:27 PM
We have a problem with a cat in our wood shed (not our cat, she's not a fan of winter so she's hibernating inside)

Plants such as lavender, geranium, rue, lemon-thyme and absinthe will provide a cat-unfriendly environment.

Unfortunatly none of these will work as it's Vermont and it's too damn cold but I am going to sprinkle some lavender out there and some essential oils to see if that works.

Groomer
02-24-2011, 05:47 PM
its seem it much easier to get a post deleted on lawnsite than it is to keep cats out of your beds, guess I can't mention napalm?

bare spot
02-28-2011, 01:41 AM
What NAZI deleted my post about my cute killer "IZZY"?
Izzy would never poo in beds! he's a polite kitty!

not sure what works off top of my head but wanted to ask what kind of kitty cat is that, breed? straw-type? looks good.

Agape
03-01-2011, 02:21 AM
not sure what works off top of my head but wanted to ask what kind of kitty cat is that, breed? straw-type? looks good.

Izzy is a tabby point siamese, very cool cat, not too afraid of water, and if I roll up a sock and throw it, he'll take off after it and on occasion, will bring it back and drop it for me several times to throw again.

ElephantNest
03-01-2011, 09:06 AM
Beautiful cat.

JB1
03-01-2011, 09:11 AM
paintball guns are always fun.