PDA

View Full Version : any advice?

ericf1993
02-19-2011, 11:32 AM
Hi everyone, im new to this forums and forgive me if i am posting this question in the wrong place.

in the back of my house we have a pretty big backyard. around last year or so the backyard was still really green but this year, around the winter time we started to see some brown spots on the grass. we thought it may have been just the seasons but now it is close to spring and the brown spots are still there. we tried everything from adjusting the watering times to putting in new fertilizer, etc. can anyone suggest something that might help this backyard regain its green color?
thanks

StihlMechanic
02-19-2011, 07:25 PM
Well depending on your zone and grass type there are several solutions. Waiting until spring is how I get my grass to turn green.

No seriously, what kind of grass and what hardy zone do you live in?

ericf1993
02-20-2011, 05:00 PM
im not quite sure. how do you check?
here is the picture though:
http://img707.imageshack.us/i/img8655u.jpg/

Smallaxe
02-20-2011, 05:45 PM
It looks like you're from the south with that bush in the corner. The lawn looks muddy and rutted over all and your dead patterns could very well be a fungal disease or soil with drainage problems... This is coming from a cool season scaper, and that would be my response on seeing something like taht up here... :)

ericf1993
02-22-2011, 09:03 PM
oh so its just becasue of that its winter right now?

rob7233
02-23-2011, 01:18 PM
Eric ,

Where are you located and what type of turf grass is it.

I'd say brown patch/large patch or even old chinch bug damage. No amount of water or chemicals(can you say "TrueGreen") will spontaneously regenerate dead plant(grass) material unless you're going for that heavy weeded look.

Looks like may need some resodding done, however you'll need to determine the root cause for loss first and get that corrected or you may be throwing $$ away.

BTW: We do have a Homeowner's forum located here on LS.

ericf1993
03-06-2011, 11:28 AM
Eric ,

Where are you located and what type of turf grass is it.

I'd say brown patch/large patch or even old chinch bug damage. No amount of water or chemicals(can you say "TrueGreen") will spontaneously regenerate dead plant(grass) material unless you're going for that heavy weeded look.

Looks like may need some resodding done, however you'll need to determine the root cause for loss first and get that corrected or you may be throwing $$ away.

BTW: We do have a Homeowner's forum located here on LS.

im located in southern california and im not sure what type of turf grass it is, sorry. alright i will look in to the homeowners section thank you