PDA

View Full Version : Good time to scalp Bermuda?

tlc1994
02-19-2011, 04:59 PM
This is only for my lawn at the time. The lawn was installed 13 months ago and the temp has been high 60's to low 70`s recently. Is this a good time to scalp the lawn down to 1" ? Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
02-19-2011, 05:17 PM
This is only for my lawn at the time. The lawn was installed 13 months ago and the temp has been high 60's to low 70`s recently. Is this a good time to scalp the lawn down to 1" ? Posted via Mobile Device

Around here mid April is good.

kemco
02-19-2011, 09:44 PM
Mid to late March in my area, pretty much just trying to wait till there's little chance of any more frost that might do some damage to the crown or possibly top part of root system.

tlc1994
02-19-2011, 09:47 PM
I'm inland California so while frost isn't frequent, it has occasionally over winter. Should be over by now. If you were to scalp your lawn today, is it logical to aerate right after as well?

cgaengineer
02-20-2011, 01:26 AM
I'm inland California so while frost isn't frequent, it has occasionally over winter. Should be over by now. If you were to scalp your lawn today, is it logical to aerate right after as well?

I'd wait until grass could recover rapidly before aeration, around here this is June.
Posted via Mobile Device

kemco
02-20-2011, 11:43 PM
Best time to aerate is about the earlier mid part of the growing season for whatever grass you have, cool or warm season. Ideally you want the grass to be fully growing when you aerate... So I'd wait a little while longer, a month or two.

Az Gardener
02-21-2011, 11:23 AM
Don't scalp your bermuda now. It will benefit greatly from the stored starches in the stems to break dormancy. If you scalp it now it will take much longer to reestablish and be weaker too. The grass should be vigorously growing, I would hold off until May.

Self_Paid1
03-15-2011, 01:34 PM
Don't scalp your bermuda now. It will benefit greatly from the stored starches in the stems to break dormancy. If you scalp it now it will take much longer to reestablish and be weaker too. The grass should be vigorously growing, I would hold off until May.

That's good advice!

bmac1996acc
03-15-2011, 09:50 PM
Around here mid April is good.

Don't like Walter Reeves' mid-March recommendation? I normally do mine mid-April too but I may scalp it this week this year. If I wait I'll be scalping green grass instead of cutting off the dead since so much of it has greened up all ready.

cgaengineer
03-16-2011, 06:59 AM
Don't like Walter Reeves' mid-March recommendation? I normally do mine mid-April too but I may scalp it this week this year. If I wait I'll be scalping green grass instead of cutting off the dead since so much of it has greened up all ready.

I just don't like to look at a bare lawn cut down to the dirt.
Posted via Mobile Device