PDA

View Full Version : Stickers in a dirt patch area

lips
02-19-2011, 10:13 PM
Have a client that has a few patches of dirt with what used to have a lot of weeds in it. She cleared out most of the weeds but not all of them. Thing is there were and still are lots and lots of stickers in the ground. One step in and your shoe is covered. The hard kind that resemble a game of jacks. Not good identifying stickers yet, Sorry. Well, she does not want to pay for sod so we are going to re-seed. How can I seed this area? Is there a method for removing the stickers first? I don't think solarizing will kill them. If I just seed will the grass surface first or will the stickers germinate and cover the area first? Any help please??

Smallaxe
02-20-2011, 12:34 PM
Are you talking 'stickers' as in burdock and such? In all varieties these are 'seed carriers'.
Blow, rake walk around in fluffy cotton slippers, whatever it takes, but get rid of them and till the ground to see what kind of perennial roots are there, then level and seed.

lips
02-20-2011, 01:33 PM
They aren't burdock. I can hardly tell what the plants look like in their beaten condition but the stickers are hard with two or three horns each. Do you know if I don't get them all, will the grass seed grow first? And if so enough to smother the weed seedlings?

I know whenever a stray ball goes in the area it comes out covered in them. I was thinking of getting a large exercise ball and tolling it around several times.

lips
02-20-2011, 03:25 PM
The guilty party:
http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/9826/43127907.jpg (http://img511.imageshack.us/i/43127907.jpg/)

Smallaxe
02-20-2011, 03:29 PM
So you still have dead weeds covering the area as well? There could be all kinds of stuff in there that will out compete the grass.

I wouldn't be comfortable in doing anything until it was cleaned and tilled. Weed seeds almost always outcompete grass seed...

Could you burn it?

Smallaxe
02-20-2011, 03:30 PM
Where are you from? I can't place those things at all... :)

lips
02-20-2011, 03:51 PM
A few dead weeds but not many. I want to till it but don't want to make it nice and comfy for the stickers so I want to see if I can get most of them out of there. I thought about burning but am not equipped to do so. Any thoughts what to use if I do burn?

lips
02-20-2011, 03:52 PM
Southern Colorado.

lips
02-20-2011, 04:02 PM
Here they are:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribulus_terrestris

RigglePLC
02-20-2011, 04:43 PM
Puncture vine--you got it--horrible sharp burr which can puncture bicycle tires. Your main choice is to seed over the top of it. Then plan on weed control when the new grass is stongly established--say in about 8 weeks. I am thinking this weed is not strongly competitive with thick grass when mowed at 2 inches. Plan on at least two weed control treatments until it is gone. Uncommon in well-cared for lawns.

lips
02-20-2011, 04:47 PM
Thanks. What kind of weed control is recommended for freshly seeded grass? Don't want to damage new roots.

Smallaxe
02-20-2011, 04:55 PM
A few dead weeds but not many. I want to till it but don't want to make it nice and comfy for the stickers so I want to see if I can get most of them out of there. I thought about burning but am not equipped to do so. Any thoughts what to use if I do burn?

So those things are going to be difficult to remove in that they are kind of small for a rake and will latch onto anything when using a blower.

Fire won't do much against the seed casing itself, I was thinking along those lines, incase you had a lot of debris.

I guess using one of those plastic or bamboo rakes and doing as well as you can, before tilling is your best bet. Riggle is probably correct about the grass outcompeting the weed, once you get a good stand...
So to get the 'good stand' of grasses, do your ammendments at tilling time... Don't let the client cheap out, on ammendments if they are needed... :)

Smallaxe
02-20-2011, 04:59 PM
Thanks. What kind of weed control is recommended for freshly seeded grass? Don't want to damage new roots.

Personally, None... Let your grass establish itself and then take out the weeds, and toss down some seed then, if you don't have Pre-m in the soil already..

lips
02-20-2011, 05:01 PM
Is there Pre-m that I can add to the soil? THat would be great!

Smallaxe
02-20-2011, 05:48 PM
Is there Pre-m that I can add to the soil? THat would be great!

Most pre-Ms will kill your grass seedlings along with the weed seedlings. Tupersan will hopefully kill only your weed seedlings not effecting your turf.

Your stickers are broadleaf so the are easliy handle with a proper post-emergent; so unless you fear CG taking over I would leave the pre-M alone...

JDUtah
02-21-2011, 06:11 AM
Sounds like a good time to test out the new rave.. Imprelis. They say it can be applied at seeding. both post and pre-emergant control.