PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust welding help

South Florida Lawns
02-19-2011, 10:15 PM
So I need to weld on a new muffler on my truck, its currently 4" straight pipe. Any advice for welding a muffler? I'm using a miller autoset 212. I have experience with welding just never exhaust pipe and being on my back welding. Maybe I'll just mess around with some extra pipe i got laying around for practice. I don't wanna clamp it and I'm too cheap to get it done at a shop

southgalawns
02-20-2011, 12:07 AM
i wouldn't lay under it, slag/sparks will fall on you and burn you. try to weld from the side. best bet is to do top tack and bottom tack, weld 2 inches up top, and 2 inches on bottom is other direction to keep it from warping. take some water to cool off, or wait a few mins. then finish it up.

DoornbosOutdoorServices
02-20-2011, 10:03 AM
i wouldn't lay under it, slag/sparks will fall on you and burn you. try to weld from the side. best bet is to do top tack and bottom tack, weld 2 inches up top, and 2 inches on bottom is other direction to keep it from warping. take some water to cool off, or wait a few mins. then finish it up.

Ive been welding along time and this is probobly your bet for what you are trying to do.

grassman88
02-20-2011, 12:26 PM
its just like normal welding ur just working with thin tube turn the heat down just enugh to not blow thru and use a wet rag to cool it down after every inch or so. tack it like said above so it dont pull and warp if you have a little welding experiance u should be fine

ParkWelding
02-20-2011, 01:06 PM
Put earplugs in.

grassman88
02-20-2011, 01:17 PM
Put earplugs in.

hahaha yea deffinatly that hurts big time!!! even just grinder sparks hurt in the ear lol

ParkWelding
02-20-2011, 03:01 PM
People don't believe me when I tell them how important earplugs are especially when you are welding in a weird spot. Sooner or later it'll happen........ouch.