PDA

View Full Version : Mossy Lawn & Slit Seeding

jweed
02-20-2011, 12:29 AM
Just wondering how a slit seeder would work in the northwest.

I have been looking at whats on the market for slit seeders. I have concerns that the blades will pull up too much moss and thatch out of the lawns to allow a good penetration of seed into the slits. A thatcher will leave a solid 2" pile of moss under it as you pass along the lawn.

What looks interesting is the Ryan Mattaway thatcher/slit seeder, but...without the thatcher. As the slit seeder portion seems to have discs that don't look like they would tear up the moss and allow the seed to slide down the disc into the slit.

Does that make sense? Is there such a machine with discs?

Thanks for any input, Jim

Smallaxe
02-20-2011, 05:03 PM
Just wondering how a slit seeder would work in the northwest.

I have been looking at whats on the market for slit seeders. I have concerns that the blades will pull up too much moss and thatch out of the lawns to allow a good penetration of seed into the slits. A thatcher will leave a solid 2" pile of moss under it as you pass along the lawn.

What looks interesting is the Ryan Mattaway thatcher/slit seeder, but...without the thatcher. As the slit seeder portion seems to have discs that don't look like they would tear up the moss and allow the seed to slide down the disc into the slit.

Does that make sense? Is there such a machine with discs?

Thanks for any input, Jim

I too like the idea of 'discs' as opposed to blades and even think of them as aerating horse pasture...
However, if you have that much moss, I think you are best off to rework the soil ad ammendments that help wit drainage and percolation, before reseeding... JMO...

jweed
02-21-2011, 01:35 AM
Thanks Smallaxe, I hope I can one day find a walk behind slit seeder with discs and hoses.

My lawn, nah its an old pasture I started mowing years ago around my house.

It is just the wet rain forest climate I live in. All the lawns are loaded with moss. We apply lots of Lime and Iron here spring and fall to combat at it for our clients.

Never going to beat it which is why I don't feel comfortable with a slit seeder with blades. But if someone from the northwest reads this that uses one and says they work fine I might purchase one and see. Other wise I may have to build one. I must have at least one crafty fabricator friend who is up to the challenge.

Smallaxe
02-21-2011, 11:24 AM
See, I would not have expected that you guys have a moss situation that isn't remedied, as we do in Wisco... Learn something new all the time... :)