PDA

View Full Version : Gas Station bids

clyde
02-20-2011, 02:11 AM
Hey guys

I have been on this forum for now almost since its conception.

I would appreciate some help on this one from someone with experience.

I have someone with about 5 gas stations they want me to bid on this coming week.

I have done everything BUT gas stations.
Any particular thing to be aware of? Whats the typical going rate for a gas station this around New Orleans area. Average green area and sizable amount of concrete.

Any do and don'ts?

Smallaxe
02-20-2011, 06:59 PM
Most gas stations, have a lot of concrete and very little plant maintenance.

Are you expecting to blow the parkway on a regular basis? will you have to water the beds? Do they have mowing to do?

I would get them to pay attention to their roofs and get that into the bid... :)

clyde
02-20-2011, 07:07 PM
Yes , probably 2/3's more concrete than grass.

I am sure i wouldn't be responsible for around pump areas other than blow if no one is around THAT pump the day I m there.

Whats needs to happen with the roof? just blow it off or something?

Will have more details this week, I m trying to get educated before meeting the man about the details ;)

JB1
02-20-2011, 07:25 PM
just watch the people that own them.

Smallaxe
02-20-2011, 08:44 PM
Here I've noticed at those stations is that eave troughs, fill up and remain neglected.

We've had cottonwood trees sprouting in one , Maple trees in another and 2 years later they were nursury plants... :)

If I took the job I would have to be willing to do the blow and eave cleaning , either early in the morning or late at night. Mowing is risking in that, there are always cars close by to get pelted with a pebble or beer can...

clyde
02-20-2011, 10:16 PM
Is a Cottonwood the same thing as a Poplar tree?

Back on topic: What I was thinking is these sort of business's due to the libialtiy ( never heard of one blowing up BUT my luck would be ) it seems you want to charge a little more.

Its like the expert tree cutter can tell you where the tree will fall but just encase better be prepared.

jplawnmaint
02-21-2011, 07:37 AM
We did a bunch last year. Its easy work. The down side is all the trash and all the people that don't see you walking across the parking lot with a bright orange vest on. Make sure you have enough cones for around the trailer and a bunch of safety vest. I will admit I didn't like all the safety crap in the beginning of the season, but it saved us a couple times. The worst part about doing them was dealing with Level 1 Maintenance. They suck. All the gas station managers were awesome, but Level 1 sucked. Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device

clyde
02-21-2011, 09:55 AM
Level 1? Interesting what is it?

Never thought about it like that

How many levels are there and what do they do?

BTW thats a good idea with the cones.

jplawnmaint
02-21-2011, 02:20 PM
Level 1 Maintenance is National service provider. A company that low balls everything they can. You don't want to work for them. They don't pay. Sorry for the confusion. Do a search for them and you find a whole bunch of contractors that haven't been paid.
Posted via Mobile Device

cps
02-22-2011, 01:18 AM
Level 1 Maintenance is National service provider. A company that low balls everything they can. You don't want to work for them. They don't pay. Sorry for the confusion. Do a search for them and you find a whole bunch of contractors that haven't been paid.
Posted via Mobile Device

Good old Level 1.. If you don't mind jumping through all their hoops and still waiting a few months to get your money. Enjoy!

We had a few of their Exon sites last year, but after a bunch of us got jerked around they somehow lost the contracts for all of the North East. :angel:

I told them to loose our # and not to contact us in the future for ANY type of work. But sure enough this winter they need someone to do emergency snow removal on a site and called me up. They even offered to pay more then double what it should have been. I didn't even feel bad when I told them that I wouldn't do work for them but still drove to that site with a crew to bid it directly with the manager.:drinkup:

aarons lawn
02-22-2011, 01:45 AM
just watch the people that own them.

il 2nd this

jplawnmaint
02-22-2011, 09:50 AM
Good old Level 1.. If you don't mind jumping through all their hoops and still waiting a few months to get your money. Enjoy!

We had a few of their Exon sites last year, but after a bunch of us got jerked around they somehow lost the contracts for all of the North East. :angel:

I told them to loose our # and not to contact us in the future for ANY type of work. But sure enough this winter they need someone to do emergency snow removal on a site and called me up. They even offered to pay more then double what it should have been. I didn't even feel bad when I told them that I wouldn't do work for them but still drove to that site with a crew to bid it directly with the manager.:drinkup:

We learn early in the season how to handle them. We got paid every 45 days like we were supposed to. That doesn't mean that we didn't have to make 10 calls a day and 20 emails a day just to get a check date out of them. As soon as we got that we had leverage over them. It was still a pain in the ass.

Funny thing about them loosing the mobils. All of the gas stations were sold to another company. This left Level 1 out in the cold. I knew 3 months before they did. When I asked them they would get pissy and tell me I didn't know what I was talking about. Then they told me not to talk about stuff the managers at the gas stations. To make a long story short Level 1 sucks and I encourage every one to stay clear of them.
Posted via Mobile Device