PDA

View Full Version : Ramp Door Hinge Broke

DavidNJ
02-20-2011, 06:40 PM
I opened the ramp door for the first time in a since early December. Something seemed funny. The I noticed the ramp wasn't lining up with the floor. I closed it and it seemed to shift.

Looking closely all three hinges are cracked. Umm...maybe this year's late snow got in them and corroded them? Ouch!

Any way, has anyone had to replace ramp door hinges? they seem to be welded on both sides. Can it be done on site?

Thanks,

David

South Florida Lawns
02-23-2011, 11:44 PM
yeah super easy. get new ones from your dealer and weld them sucker on, just make sure the ramp is aligned so it closes properly.

SLMGT
03-19-2011, 12:24 AM
Once you get the new hinges installed, make sure to keep them greased. I had to replace one a while back due to inadequate greasing.

DavidNJ
03-19-2011, 12:10 PM
Once you get the new hinges installed, make sure to keep them greased. I had to replace one a while back due to inadequate greasing.

That was clearly part of the problem...I didn't use the trailer much in 2010, and as a result inadvertently didn't look after its maintenance. The high snow which buried the hinge then probably took advantage of the situation causing the corrosion that led to failure.

DavidNJ
05-24-2011, 10:47 PM
Just for the record, the three new hinges ran about $60 delivered and installation, including cutting off the old ones, grinding the flange to prep for welding, and welding the new ones, took just under 3 hours.

rlitman
05-25-2011, 11:18 AM
Where did you find a shop that welds for $20 an hour and gives out parts for free? I do a lot of my own welding and grinding, but at those rates it doesn't really pay.
Nice deal!

DavidNJ
05-25-2011, 11:23 AM
The parts were $60. The welding was $95/hr. The total damage was just under $500. Ouch!

Patriot Services
05-25-2011, 11:46 AM
Glad I learned to arc and mig weld many years ago. Being the son of a mechanic/welder/fabricator has saved thousands over the years. Of course my buddies love that fact too.
Posted via Mobile Device