PDA

View Full Version : 2011 F250 issues

matt10486
02-21-2011, 03:10 PM
Is anyone having transmission issues with their 2011 super duties? Mine just hit 1000 miles and it sometimes doesn't seem to know what gear to shift into., especially on hills. I look forward to seeing if anyone else is having an issue and what the dealer did.

Matt

dishboy
02-21-2011, 03:33 PM
Is anyone having transmission issues with their 2011 super duties? Mine just hit 1000 miles and it sometimes doesn't seem to know what gear to shift into., especially on hills. I look forward to seeing if anyone else is having an issue and what the dealer did.

Matt

Let then reflash the computer

matt10486
02-21-2011, 03:35 PM
I just dropped it off. Was a little scared the other day, driving down a hill, not steep at all, truck went from 2nd to 4th skipped 3rd whole truck jerked i thought someone hit me.

I am also only getting 9mpg, could this be due to transmission issue?

bobw
02-21-2011, 03:58 PM
With my 2011, I had horrible mileage for the first while, but it did get better. I know that there was one transmission re-flash available (november ?) and that there are some reports of some deeper things that Ford is looking at with the tranny.

I'll be taking mine into the dealership before the season starts to get it re-flashed and am hoping that they solve this current issue before then as well.

matt10486
02-21-2011, 03:59 PM
Gas or diesel? I love the truck dont get me wrong, just when i bought it i was told how great the gas milage was going to be, and my 04 was getting 12-14mpg.

bobw
02-21-2011, 04:12 PM
I"m running gas. Had enough of finicky Ford diesels for a while. BTW... it's the same transmission for both engines....

Edited to add: The 6.2 gasser is giving me better mileage towing than my 05 6.0 diesel did

matt10486
02-21-2011, 04:14 PM
Oh ok, i asked gas or diesel in reference to gas mileage question.:hammerhead:

John deer Z
02-21-2011, 04:30 PM
What engine does it have in itGas or diesel ? What size?

GravelyGuy
02-21-2011, 05:50 PM
A computer reflash should fix it from what I have heard. I have 6000 miles and mine will occasionally gear hunt. It hasn't been bad enough for me to justify dealing with the stealership.

My mileage is excellent, but I did notice it went down several MPG when the weather got cold.

mowerbrad
02-21-2011, 07:35 PM
I remember watching a "car and driver" video (or some company that does reviews) and they had mentioned that the Super Duty they tested always seemed to hunt for a gear and never liked to stay in one gear for long. I think they were doing towing tests when they mentioned this.

I'd be bringing that thing back to the dealer and let the reflash the computer. Its got a warranty, use it!

Grass Shark
02-21-2011, 07:41 PM
sounds like it is a speed sensor issue. What kind of mileage are you guys getting with the new gas motor?

THRIFTY
02-22-2011, 11:34 PM
What kinda mileage are ya'll seeing outta the new 6.2? Im looking to buy a new 3/4 ton this spring and cant fig out if if i want a Ford or GM product? I know the GM 6.0 gasser is a gas pig but its a proven motor, and haven't heard of any tranny issues like mentioned above...

matt10486
02-23-2011, 10:39 AM
I am only getting 9mpg. If you go to Ford-trucks.com and search 2011 f250 transmission issues it'll bring up about 8 pages of people complaining about their truck/trans..

PROPERTYLAWNSERVICELLC
02-23-2011, 10:10 PM
Cummins dodge enuff said:)

matt10486
02-24-2011, 01:45 PM
HA! Diesel keeps going higher and higher though

ron mexico75
02-24-2011, 01:58 PM
I am only getting 9mpg. If you go to Ford-trucks.com and search 2011 f250 transmission issues it'll bring up about 8 pages of people complaining about their truck/trans..

I know this won't help you but..........................your problem is on the grill and it's circled.

Allison transmissions are in GM's for a reason....they work.

Unbelievable .......a brand new truck and one of the most important components is already failing.

matt10486
02-24-2011, 01:59 PM
that was a good one.

ron mexico75
02-24-2011, 02:01 PM
that was a good one.

Im just being a d i c k on purpose man nothing personal. I would imagine Ferd will cover this since it's brand new.

matt10486
02-24-2011, 02:04 PM
its all in good fun man, I'm just busting your balls, i just picked it up from the dealer, they re programed the computer. tranny is shifting fine and my mpg went from 9mpg to 13mpg. so I'm satisfied for now. Next truck how ever will not be a ford.

GravelyGuy
02-24-2011, 02:04 PM
I know this won't help you but..........................your problem is on the grill and it's circled.

Unbelievable .......a brand new truck and one of the most important components is already failing.

Nobody is having major failures, it is just a computer problem. The transmissions shift electronically and sometimes you need to go get the computer reflashed after they have been out on the road a while and things get worked out.

My 2007 Tundra was the same way at the beginning and a reflash fixed it and I never had trouble again.

ron mexico75
02-24-2011, 02:06 PM
Good to hear it's fixed, nothing worse then vehicle problems.....well maybe wife/girlfriend problems but you never have to worry about reselling those.

Glad to see you learned from your mistake. That's the first sign of a smart person.

matt10486
02-24-2011, 02:07 PM
@ GravelyGuy, that is what they did. Everything seems to be working fine now. Fingers crossed.

Capemay Eagle
02-25-2011, 02:57 PM
I know this won't help you
. Not for a buddy of mine!

hensley
05-29-2011, 03:58 AM
I have a 2011 6.7L Diesel, I also had a little problem (while cold, or after running a lot of stop and go) shifting from 2nd to 3rd. Took it too the dealer and they re flashed for 400hp and trans shift pattern,,no problems. Glad I traded the 08 6.4L Awsome fuel milage, and will pull any thing the springs will handle.

Ramairfreak98ss
05-29-2011, 02:51 PM

lol you mean Cummins enuff said.. b/c theres been plenty said about the POS dodge trucks used for work :hammerhead:

LibertyFarmLandscaping
05-29-2011, 03:40 PM
I have a 2011 6.7L Diesel, I also had a little problem (while cold, or after running a lot of stop and go) shifting from 2nd to 3rd. Took it too the dealer and they re flashed for 400hp and trans shift pattern,,no problems. Glad I traded the 08 6.4L Awsome fuel milage, and will pull any thing the springs will handle.

What kind of fuel mileage do you consider awesome?

matt10486
05-30-2011, 12:08 PM
im still getting any where from 11-14mpg.. gas prices are slowly going down for now...

PLS-Tx
05-30-2011, 01:07 PM
im still getting any where from 11-14mpg.. gas prices are slowly going down for now...

Is that towing, if so what are you pulling?

I sure hope it is!

360ci
05-31-2011, 08:44 PM
Anything over 10mpg is awesome when towing! Single digits make me cringe!

My 5.9L Durango R/T eats the fuel, but it works its ass off. I average 11mpg on average. However, my last tank with the 95F heat in my area mileage dropped to just over 9.5mpg knowingly due to the extra idling and A/C running when in town between clients.

I too am debating on either a gas F250 or gas GM 2500. I don't need a diesel, but if I did, I'd go with the Ram as the Cummins has no equal. There are those that might oppose, but you don't see class 8 OTR trucks running V8 diesels! V8's should all be gas powered.

Do stay away from the HEMI Ram. It was a dog when towing for me for a week. Mind you it was a rental unit so perhaps there was more to it than I realized. It did get a reasonable 12mpg with some short highway runs towing 4000lbs.

I hate to say it but Ford seems to have too many TSB's and software issues even from the get go with the new F250. I'd still consider purchasing one as I've had great luck with my '99 Taurus that I bought new and still drives like new.

nepatsfan
05-31-2011, 08:54 PM

It is not a circle its an oval. Why would he want to buy a truck that you Can Hear Every Valve Rattle On Long Extended Trips or a Garage Mechanics Companion.

TSB group
05-31-2011, 10:19 PM
I wouldn't support GM (Government Motors), or Dodge (now a foreign car company). And I certainly would never even consider a Toyota, Honda, Nissan or any other foreign truck.

My Fords have done very well for me, and I am certainly buying another new one!

skennedy04
07-06-2011, 07:20 AM

That's what I did.....traded the ford for a dodge 3500 cummins.....LOVE IT.
Posted via Mobile Device

hensley
07-06-2011, 08:28 AM
LibertyFarmLandscaping:

1213 mile trip to Tx (calculated by hand) 19.4
514 mile trip to Okla 19
16.3 driving around town/ 26 miles to town, run around, and go home.

26887 odometer miles

Mark Oomkes
07-06-2011, 08:58 AM

That's too bad, since they screwed up the Torqshift so bad. Hopefully it's just a reflash issue.

Not a surprise. I had an '05 that lost the tranny with 500 miles on it. While it was in the shop waiting for parts (national backorder) my '04 crapped out with under 20K on it. Betwixt the 2 of them, I lost 6 weeks production during the winter--when I really need them--but I had kept 2 old Dodges that bailed me out.

This is why I am hesitant to buy anything new from any of the Big 3. All the computer crap makes these trucks too unreliable IMO.

LibertyFarmLandscaping
07-06-2011, 04:51 PM
LibertyFarmLandscaping:

1213 mile trip to Tx (calculated by hand) 19.4
514 mile trip to Okla 19
16.3 driving around town/ 26 miles to town, run around, and go home.

26887 odometer miles

Not too bad. Thanks for the reply.

hensley
07-07-2011, 12:17 AM
Im pretty happy with mine, I had a 2008 and on its best day highway driving it got 16mpg, and single digits pulling my horse trailer. Im glad I traded. :)

supercuts
07-08-2011, 08:54 PM
its all in good fun man, I'm just busting your balls, i just picked it up from the dealer, they re programed the computer. tranny is shifting fine and my mpg went from 9mpg to 13mpg. so I'm satisfied for now. Next truck how ever will not be a ford.

ha ha....thats what I said when my brand new 08' diesel was in the shop 40 something times and I went through the lemon law twice with it! I hate fords now.....and hate is a bad word. truck sucks, its in regen all the time, gets horrible mileage, smells like crap. the last time i took it in for 8 problems, they didnt fix a single one of them including doing fuel filters. i keep dealer hunting for a good one, they all say "well you didnt buy the truck from us" leaving me to believe the ford warranty is only good at the dealer you bought it from. Ford needs to stand behind their product.

I have sworn off fords and would love to swap them all over to GM's. but GM's are not rated for anything bigger than an 8' plow. Dodge is a good engine in a bad wrapper. so whats the option? im at a complete loss. I dont think i'll ever buy a new truck again. my sticker was $45k, after one year they wanted to give me $27K for it on trade. now its 3.5 years old, i still owe 19K on it, and its worth $21K on a trade. after paying $643 a month for 3.5 years, its not worth crap with only $2K in equity. the 6.2 was supposed to be great on fuel like th 6.4 was supposed to be. BS! and what about the oil pans rotting out in like 4 years, heads blowing plugs out, exhaust manifolds going bad really quick. and these are not cheap fixes, we are in the thousands for each. thats crap! fords have gone to hell but we still dont have a good option. Im sticking with my $1500 97 F350 powerstroke with 258K miles i just got. I love that thing.

sorry for the long rant......

OhioMowerGuy
07-08-2011, 09:19 PM
You can run bigger plows than 8' on GMs. My 04 duramax has had a 8.5' since new and the front end handles it just fine. Now the 2011s have a 6k front axle rating so you can run any plow on any cab configuration

supercuts
07-09-2011, 07:53 AM
You can run bigger plows than 8' on GMs. My 04 duramax has had a 8.5' since new and the front end handles it just fine. Now the 2011s have a 6k front axle rating so you can run any plow on any cab configuration

GLAD TO HEAR.....i really didnt want to eat my words and end up with another Ferd. When i bought mine in 08' GM wouldnt allow to put one on which was the point i went back to ford

OhioMowerGuy
07-09-2011, 10:37 AM
The new front ends carry weight well. I checked one out that had a 8ft western prop plus on it and it dropped about a half inch, t bars at stock height and no ballast in bed.

ToroZTR
07-15-2011, 11:59 PM
I am not defending ford by any means even though i work on them day in and day out. First it sounds like you guys have some really shotty dealerships i have seen some horrible work i had to fix from other dealerships. Secondly doesnt matter where you bought it they have to work on it call ford and report them. Third ONE major thing that people forget THOSE were international engines not letting ford off the hook but its not all their fault! I have worked on nothing but ford diesel's for 8 years now the torqshift is an incredible transmission. The new torqshift 6 in the diesels is capable of supporting more abuse and power than any previous or current transmission just needs some issues worked out like any newly developed item. We had a very low failure rate after the snap ring recall on the previous torqshift (i see alot of plow and landscaping trucks) ford trucks are the most durable truck chassis and now they can claim highest power also. And ford has seperate transmissions for diesel and gas indipendently developed for each engine. Not knocking any other manufacturer as i am a fan of them all in one way or another but i think ford is the best all around truck. I will own nothing but ford products but thats just my personal preference. We see alot of maintenence issues with diesels people dont understand they still need to be maintained they are not indestructible. Just cause it says 10k oil changes i would never do that to my truck it gets it every 5-6k oil and fuel filters everytime never had a problem. The 6.7 is a ford built engine and we have seen one in the shop since release (other than the programming upgrade provided FREE of charge for more power) and it was in for a NOx sensor. Find a good dealership and your truck will love you! Sorry for the long post just wanted to express my thoughts.
Posted via Mobile Device

matt10486
08-17-2011, 10:56 AM
i bought it back in February, noticed the tranny was hesitating, and when I would park on an incline and put the truck into drive or reverse I would hear a grinding sound. Iíve had the truck at the dealership 3 times now, the first two; they couldnít find anything wrong with it. I just got it back after them having it for 2 weeks; they claimed the grinding noise is normal, and the replaced 3 solenoids. Needless to say the truck is still giving me problems. I know all the fords jokes, not looking to hear any of them, just looking to see where I go from here. Could it be considered a lemon even though the first two times nothing was found?

matt10486
08-17-2011, 11:09 AM
How do i get in contact/report my dealership? Call fords customer relations number on their website?

Marek
08-17-2011, 01:57 PM
You should go to thedieselstop.com or talk to supercuts on here , there have been alot of guys that have had or tried to have ford buy back thier trucks. Diesel or gas truck ??

Evan528
08-17-2011, 11:02 PM
3 times in for the same problem within the warranty period allows you to take advantage of the lemon law. Most of the local lemon law attorneys will talk to you for free and let you know if you have a case. If they take your case its because they are confident you have a good case. If they dont win... they dont get paid. Its worth a shot to speak to one. I have used Kimmel and Silver out of Ambler with good results.

matt10486
08-17-2011, 11:09 PM
It's gas. Evan what did you end up doing?
Posted via Mobile Device

KrayzKajun
08-19-2011, 07:50 PM
My 08 F250 diesel is givin me trouble. When it comes out the shop I'm trading it in for a 2011 Ram 3500 diesel
Posted via Mobile Device

matt10486
08-19-2011, 07:53 PM
Tranny
Posted via Mobile Device

matt10486
08-19-2011, 07:54 PM
Tranny problems? Sorry posted too soon. You still owe on your ford?
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

PlantscapeSolutions
08-21-2011, 12:48 AM

I second this opinion. I just drove on a 400 mile trip with my heavy 09' 4x4 dually doing 65 mph. My truck is DPF deleted with some other goodies and I pulled down 17.65 mpg's.

Diesel cost a little more but you will normally get 30-50% better mpg's then a gasser. A gallon of diesel contains more energy then a gallon of gas. My father in law had a four door 04' Ford F250 with the 5.4 and the thing had no nuts at all. It rarely makes sense to buy a heavy duty truck with a 1/2 ton powertrain.

I find the main reason people get struck with heavy duty gassers is they just can't afford the extra $6K+ for the Diesel. If your 6.0 or 6.4 was a turd why stay with Ford? The Duramax and Cummins are much better engines. I have two gooseneck trailers that a gas motor can't even come close to handling.

PlantscapeSolutions
08-21-2011, 01:29 AM
Anything over 10mpg is awesome when towing! Single digits make me cringe!

My 5.9L Durango R/T eats the fuel, but it works its ass off. I average 11mpg on average. However, my last tank with the 95F heat in my area mileage dropped to just over 9.5mpg knowingly due to the extra idling and A/C running when in town between clients.

I too am debating on either a gas F250 or gas GM 2500. I don't need a diesel, but if I did, I'd go with the Ram as the Cummins has no equal. There are those that might oppose, but you don't see class 8 OTR trucks running V8 diesels! V8's should all be gas powered.

Do stay away from the HEMI Ram. It was a dog when towing for me for a week. Mind you it was a rental unit so perhaps there was more to it than I realized. It did get a reasonable 12mpg with some short highway runs towing 4000lbs.

I hate to say it but Ford seems to have too many TSB's and software issues even from the get go with the new F250. I'd still consider purchasing one as I've had great luck with my '99 Taurus that I bought new and still drives like new.

He said it. Real work trucks only have six cylinders. Do you Ford guys realize the Ford medium duty F650 & F750 come with the same displacement Cummins 6.7 that Dodge puts in it's 2500 & 3500 light duty Diesels? The fact that Ford only offers the Cummins in it's bigger medium duty trucks shows how much faith Ford has in Cummins.

The GVWR goes as high as 37,000 lbs for the 6.7 in a F750. That would be the equivalent of a F350 towing a 30,000 lb. trailer. The truth is that the Cummins 5.9's & 6.7's have been rated for use in medium duty trucks with longer rebuild intervals then the Powerstroke for many years.

Ford keeps trying but the Powerstroke (or Powerjoke) has always been the red headed stepchild of Diesel engines and it's not likely to match medium rating duty rating and 300,000 mile certified rebuild status of the Cummins any time soon.

If Dodge hadn't gotten first dibs on the Cummins engine starting way back in 89' there is a very good chance you Ford guys would be driving around with a Cummins under the hood right now.

The benefit of the Powerstroke is that it has kept a lot of mechanics and parts suppliers gainfully employed. Thank you for pumping hundreds of millions of dollars into the economy Ford.:laugh:

GravelyGuy
08-21-2011, 09:34 AM
My 2011 F250 has been great. They could stand to make some computer adjustments on the tranny shifting at low parking lot speeds.

matt10486
08-21-2011, 09:38 AM
I'd get rid of mine in a heartbeat, but I don't want to take the huge loss in money by trading it in already
Posted via Mobile Device

KrayzKajun
08-22-2011, 06:02 PM
My 08 powerstroke is being traded in for a Cummins this weekend
Posted via Mobile Device

JPsDuramax
08-22-2011, 06:07 PM
I've read somewhere that Ford Motor Company purchased Cummins a few years back but Dodge had renewed their contract with Cummins prior to the sale. Not sure how much truth there is to this but figured I'd throw my 2 cents in.
Posted via Mobile Device

360ci
08-22-2011, 06:10 PM
At least Ford makes their own diesel. I think Ford should've produced an I6 design like Cummins for better longevity and cost per mile down the road.

PlantscapeSolutions
08-22-2011, 10:52 PM
I've read somewhere that Ford Motor Company purchased Cummins a few years back but Dodge had renewed their contract with Cummins prior to the sale. Not sure how much truth there is to this but figured I'd throw my 2 cents in.
Posted via Mobile Device

At one point Ford owned some stock in Cummins but not any longer. They were never anything more then a minority stock holder.

matt10486
08-22-2011, 11:19 PM
Mines gas and giving me problems. I read the diesels are just as bad haha. Gotta love fords
Posted via Mobile Device

PlantscapeSolutions
08-22-2011, 11:23 PM
At least Ford makes their own diesel. I think Ford should've produced an I6 design like Cummins for better longevity and cost per mile down the road.

I don't think Ford really had a choice. They would have loved to have had Cat power but Cat dumped the over the road business due to emissions. Cat did not want to deal with things like DPF's. Eventually the off road stuff is going to be smogged and Cat will have to bite the bullet.

Dodge already had an exclusive deal with Cummins on light duty Diesels dated back to 89'. Ford was able to put Cummins power under the hood of the F650 & F750 but that was it.

If Ford had tried putting a European or Korean Diesel under the hood it would have been a hard sell. After the 6.0 the image of International was tarnished too much to salvage.

Cummins and the GM\Isuzu Dura aren't perfect but they have a have a long track record the same same basic engine design. The 5.9 became a 6.7 but it contains a lot of similar or interchangeable parts.

Only time will tell if Ford making a Diesel is a good thing or a bad thing.

matt10486
08-22-2011, 11:26 PM
Who do you guys think makes the better gas truck, gmc, dodge or chevy
Posted via Mobile Device

360ci
08-22-2011, 11:37 PM
Who do you guys think makes the better gas truck, gmc, dodge or chevy
Posted via Mobile Device

I think you meant to say GM, dodge or ford? GMC and Chev are similar powertrains...anyway.

For HD gas trucks, I choose GM for the 360hp 6.0L V8. Ford F250 is too heavy for its own good even with it's 400hp 6.2L V8. Dodge is using the decent 5.7L V8 and would be my last choice, mostly due to an antiquated five speed automatic and the fact that a lot of HEMI owners complain as the miles pile on, about excessive valve noise and lifter problems.

Another reason I'd choose the GM gas is that it's the quietest (at least it was during my test drive of it when compared to the other two; it was VERY hard to find a Dodge 2500 with the hemi here!). The GM also gives the smoothest ride and best performance. Now that I think of it, the GM line garnered the truck of the year award last year by Motor Trend magazine as it was everything above, and the best bang for the buck in terms of interior amenities and towing pound per dollar I think it was. So, GM then Ford then Dodge. If I went diesel 2500, it'd be Dodge all the way for the I6 engine.

matt10486
08-22-2011, 11:47 PM
Yeah sorry my phone auto corrected it to gmc for some reason. My ford is an extreamly bumpy ride as well. My last ford had nothin but rust issues you'd think I would of learned my lesson last time. Haha
Posted via Mobile Device

PlantscapeSolutions
08-22-2011, 11:56 PM
I think you meant to say GM, dodge or ford? GMC and Chev are similar powertrains...anyway.

For HD gas trucks, I choose GM for the 360hp 6.0L V8. Ford F250 is too heavy for its own good even with it's 400hp 6.2L V8. Dodge is using the decent 5.7L V8 and would be my last choice, mostly due to an antiquated five speed automatic and the fact that a lot of HEMI owners complain as the miles pile on, about excessive valve noise and lifter problems.

Another reason I'd choose the GM gas is that it's the quietest (at least it was during my test drive of it when compared to the other two; it was VERY hard to find a Dodge 2500 with the hemi here!). The GM also gives the smoothest ride and best performance. Now that I think of it, the GM line garnered the truck of the year award last year by Motor Trend magazine as it was everything above, and the best bang for the buck in terms of interior amenities and towing pound per dollar I think it was. So, GM then Ford then Dodge. If I went diesel 2500, it'd be Dodge all the way for the I6 engine.

Dodge is number #1 for the percentage of 2500 & 3500 owners who choose Diesel. Ford is number #2 a little ways behind Dodge and then GM is way back at number #3.