PDA

View Full Version : The turf is begging for food but.......

GarPA
09-12-2002, 12:10 AM
Well we're taught not to fertilize while the grass is stressed and not growing. Early fall has always been a time to give the turf some fert....but with the turf still stressed I just don't think feeding is a good idea unless it starts growing again...and there is no rain in sight...even with a good 50% timed released blend I still am concerned about putting it down...any points of view on this considering this god awful weather? thanks

KirbysLawn
09-12-2002, 03:47 AM
One word...Sustaine.

GarPA
09-12-2002, 05:59 AM
Ok Kirby..looked it up on the internet...looks like brown baby powder...they talk about it as a plant, not a grass food supplement???..mind telling me a bit more? like where to finf it, rate per 1000 ft, how to apply...it looks like its sold in mom amd pop hardware type stores???...tell us the results you've seen with it..thanks

MOW ED
09-12-2002, 07:43 AM
Sustane is an organic that is marketed to increase your soils nutrient and water holding capacities by reducing the potential for leaching of plant nutrients. It also improves stress tolerance against heat and drought.

Formulations of 5-2-4 and 5-2-10 medium or fine

That said I believe the active ingredient is chicken $*it.

It does smell foul. (I kill my self sometimes):D

Hard to burn a lawn with that formulation. The application rates I found were pretty high 10# per 1000 sqft. and the cost per 1K sq ft is somewhere around 2 bucks so it aint cheap (cheep, here I go again).

I used it a few times on my lawn and it does work ok.

Good Luck.

GarPA
09-12-2002, 08:20 AM
thanks to both of you...I think I'll wait for some rain and put my Lesco stuff down....rain? yeah right...

HBFOXJr
09-12-2002, 06:40 PM
I'm encouraging us not to out smart ourselves and fertilize anyhow. Trying to play the timing game is like a bad lottery.

If it isn't raining and irrigation is not allowed applied fert will just sit there and be in place for the rain to hit. In other words it stores just about as well on the lawn as in the bag. Nothing happens. You can't over feed turf were nothing is going on.

f350
09-14-2002, 01:30 PM
if your really concerned and it's your last app apply a 100% scu and call it a year