PDA

View Full Version : Azaleas in 9b/10a

Florida Gardener
02-21-2011, 07:22 PM
Any guys that live in these zones using azaleas with good success? What cultivars? Are you experiencing any problems? I know they like acidic soils so obviously nutrient def. would be a problem on alkaline sites....

Ric
02-21-2011, 08:13 PM
Any guys that live in these zones using azaleas with good success? What cultivars? Are you experiencing any problems? I know they like acidic soils so obviously nutrient def. would be a problem on alkaline sites....

Diamond

I am not sure what your problem is. I plant them on the East side of the house for morning sun and afternoon shade. Fertilize them with a acid forming fertilizer. My soil is 9.5 pH naturally, But then it is a calcareous sand. If I can grow them in those condition anyone should be able to grow them.

PS a Quick Trick is to put a cup to a pint of white vinegar in a gallon and water the azaleas fooling them into believing they are is acid soil. But don't do it more than once a week or LESS.

Florida Gardener
02-21-2011, 08:18 PM
Ric I was asking a general question meaning I haven't tried them yet and was wondering about results in these zones as you don't see them a lot here in S. Florida. Thanks for the input.
Posted via Mobile Device

greendoctor
02-21-2011, 08:22 PM
I maintain azaleas in zone 11. Most of the soil here is 7+. The keys to keeping azaleas under these conditions are to limit P, use acid forming fertilizers as Ric said, include micronutrients and try to acidify the soil. I have started using food grade citric acid to deal with my soil problems. I apply 1 lb per 1000 sq ft in enough water to apply, followed by irrigation or 1/2 lb per 100 gallons as a drench.

I do have my share of powdery mildew and leaf spot diseases if it rains or is cool and damp. Otherwise when it is warm, azalea lacebugs and spider mites come out in hordes.

greendoctor
02-21-2011, 09:29 PM
The hardiest azaleas in warm areas seem to be the Rhododendron indicums, commonly known as Satsuki azaleas. They are at their best in partial shade.

zturncutter
02-21-2011, 09:49 PM
Lavendar Formosa is very tough, I also like Duc De Rohan and Louis Taber. I have alway had lots of problems with Red Ruffle over time. Spider Mites are the biggest insect problem. Do not plant close to concrete structures or walks if possible.

zturncutter
02-21-2011, 10:47 PM
Also well drained soil is important, they don't like to dry out but don't like to sit in water either. I had this problem at one clients house and I brought in sand, compost, horse manure and peat and built two small burms in the front of the house and the Azaleas have done much better than in the past.

Keith
02-21-2011, 11:32 PM
Lavendar Formosa is very tough, I also like Duc De Rohan and Louis Taber. I have alway had lots of problems with Red Ruffle over time. Spider Mites are the biggest insect problem. Do not plant close to concrete structures or walks if possible.

I tell people red ruffles are annuals :) If you get them to last and flourish year after year, you must have planted them when the stars were perfectly aligned. If people have their hearts set on ruffles, I try to talk them into Pinks.

South Florida Lawns
02-22-2011, 01:49 AM

Azaleas aren't real popular in my area. They're never fertilized properly and or are installed in poor conditions. My experience with them is mostly ripping them out and replacing them with something different.

Come to think of it my nursery doesn't even sell azaleas.

Landscape Poet
02-22-2011, 02:14 AM
Azaleas aren't real popular in my area. They're never fertilized properly and or are installed in poor conditions. My experience with them is mostly ripping them out and replacing them with something different.

Come to think of it my nursery doesn't even sell azaleas.

Which I could say the same......they are a home owners favorite here...unfortunately the outcome is generally not good and the results are much like you explain.

Plantculture
02-22-2011, 10:36 AM
Diamond,
Go down to Morikami gardens in Delray. They have quite a few types that should be blooming now.
IMO azaleas are not worth the trouble in PBC. Reward is not worth the risk.
You may be able to keep them alive and green, but they don't put on much of a show.

Florida Gardener
02-22-2011, 11:08 AM
Plant this is more of the answer I am looking for. I wanted to know how they perform in PBC. Some of my customers have them, but it is such a small amount I don't pay as much attention to them.
Posted via Mobile Device

Plantculture
02-22-2011, 11:21 AM
Plant this is more of the answer I am looking for. I wanted to know how they perform in PBC. Some of my customers have them, but it is such a small amount I don't pay as much attention to them.
Posted via Mobile Device

Im looking at a light pink one right now on palm beach. Gets sparse blooms for about 2 weeks. Rather pathetic looking
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
02-22-2011, 02:50 PM
Plant can I contact you via phone??
Posted via Mobile Device

Plantculture
02-23-2011, 04:00 PM
Plant can I contact you via phone??
Posted via Mobile Device

Pm sent
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
02-23-2011, 11:20 PM
Thanks dude I'm gonna call tomm
Posted via Mobile Device

melvern
02-25-2011, 09:53 PM
There is a yard next to one of mine in PBC with a of hedge of mature Formosas that seem to be doing well. Judging on how the property is maintained, I doubt they do anything special. One of my properties has a couple - they look they were probably potted plants that someone put in. They have been marginal up until now, but they really look spectacular this year. I'm guessing because of the cold.

I'm not sure if the limiting factor is lack of acidity, strength of the sun, or a need for some cooler weather. The first two can be worked around & certain varieties like the Formosas are more heat tolerant. I used to work for a wholesale nursery in Houston & we used to sell azaleas by the 1000's and they did put on quite a show in the spring.

I was also told you can't grow hydrangeas this far south, but I was in Panama (Central America that is, with daily highs in the mid 90's to upper 80's, annual low was maybe 65) and was startled to see several plantings doing very well.