PDA

View Full Version : How do you guys pursue commercial landscape install projects?

dirtybiz
02-21-2011, 06:55 PM
I am trying to expand the commercial side of my landscape/sprinkler installation business, and am wondering how you guys pursue commercial projects like this? How are you finding out about the projects first of all?

I know alot of well established contractors probably recieve information from general contractors bidding on such projects, but how does one who is looking to expand in this market find out about such projects? I have found a couple of web sites such as bidclerk.com, constructionwork.com, etc.., has anyone actually been able to get any jobs this way? Where else can information/plans be found about upcoming commercial jobs? Thanks in advance for any help/expertise you may be able to provide!

stevenf
02-21-2011, 11:44 PM
I have a friend that is a General contractor and he has gotten a lot of work from Bidclerk.
I had him give me a run down on the bidding process. He said that people first go to the architect then the architect finds the contractor. The contractor usually finds sub-contractors and each sub will bid only on the services they want. When my friend bids on a framing job, he will give me the opportunity to bid the landscape portion so he can make a percentage off of me.
I guess the trick would be to call all contractors, home builders, architects and so on....

dirtybiz
02-24-2011, 01:18 PM
I have a friend that is a General contractor and he has gotten a lot of work from Bidclerk.
I had him give me a run down on the bidding process. He said that people first go to the architect then the architect finds the contractor. The contractor usually finds sub-contractors and each sub will bid only on the services they want. When my friend bids on a framing job, he will give me the opportunity to bid the landscape portion so he can make a percentage off of me.
I guess the trick would be to call all contractors, home builders, architects and so on....

Thanks for the feed back. It seems like bidclerk, and others are more aimed at general contractors. Anyone else care to share there experience on this??

wbw
02-25-2011, 10:06 AM
Twenty years ago I was a commercial painting contractor. At that time the "Dodge Reports" from McGraw Hill were the onlly way to go. I am sure they still are.