PDA

View Full Version : Approximate time per square foot for weeding

greenchoppers
02-21-2011, 08:26 PM
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone here ever came up with an approximate time to weed flower beds based on square footage? For example, 1,000 square feet of flower beds = x amount of time to weed.

Any thoughts?

lukemelo216
02-21-2011, 09:20 PM
there are certainly a lot of factors that play into this, however; if we dont have a solid weed control program at the property, meaning basically performing our service on a weekly basis, we can do anywhere from 1500-2000 per hour depending on amount of weeds, frequency, and the style of the bed.

Now if were doing a good weed control program on the site, meaning pre-emergent (snapshot) in the spring, weekly spraying (round up), and then spot pulling larger weeds. We can do probably 2500-3000 per hour. Its all dependent on the program.

Most of our clients we get on the 2nd program. And we will split apps between the year on the snap shot. First one early in the year, and then again in the late summer early fall. Then on a weekly basis we will go around with a back pack sprayer and spray weeds with round up. Any larger weeds, we just pull by hand. We can spot spray about 20k in an hour. With that program weeds are very rarely an issue on a property.

greenchoppers
02-21-2011, 11:09 PM
there are certainly a lot of factors that play into this, however; if we dont have a solid weed control program at the property, meaning basically performing our service on a weekly basis, we can do anywhere from 1500-2000 per hour depending on amount of weeds, frequency, and the style of the bed.

Now if were doing a good weed control program on the site, meaning pre-emergent (snapshot) in the spring, weekly spraying (round up), and then spot pulling larger weeds. We can do probably 2500-3000 per hour. Its all dependent on the program.

Most of our clients we get on the 2nd program. And we will split apps between the year on the snap shot. First one early in the year, and then again in the late summer early fall. Then on a weekly basis we will go around with a back pack sprayer and spray weeds with round up. Any larger weeds, we just pull by hand. We can spot spray about 20k in an hour. With that program weeds are very rarely an issue on a property.

How many people to do 1500-2000 per hour? Is this based on actual data or estimate?

lukemelo216
02-22-2011, 12:19 AM
that is my actual data. I know it doesnt sound like a lot. But 2000sqft of beds is actually a decent amount. I was reall suprised initially when we did that, and I ran numerous different runs and came up with that production ratio.

Think Green
02-22-2011, 11:13 PM
choppers,
Is the data you collected biased on using hand power or tool power??
Is this same data claimed to using one or two hands??
I am not being arrogant............because If a man is determined to get the weeds out, then with both hands going......bent over on knees, he can work a square foot of area in 2-3 minutes. This is based on soft tissued broadleaf and stem material. Permanent grassy weeds will take double to triple the time.

Our maintained beds are done weekly by hand and herbicides.
One hit wonder customers get the line trimmer treatment, herbicides, mulch and go.
The time spent on removing weeds that have seeded is a waste of time if not on a routine schedule.

Agape
02-23-2011, 02:43 AM
choppers,
Is the data you collected biased on using hand power or tool power??
Is this same data claimed to using one or two hands??
I am not being arrogant............because If a man is determined to get the weeds out, then with both hands going......bent over on knees, he can work a square foot of area in 2-3 minutes. This is based on soft tissued broadleaf and stem material. Permanent grassy weeds will take double to triple the time.

Our maintained beds are done weekly by hand and herbicides.
One hit wonder customers get the line trimmer treatment, herbicides, mulch and go.
The time spent on removing weeds that have seeded is a waste of time if not on a routine schedule.

Are you serious? you weed with just your hands?
And you just weed whack the one time customers? caseron takes a while to do its work, during wich time the weeds will break through the mulch.
I always thought it best to spray the weeds first, then hula hoe (action hoe) and rake.
If I caught a worker on his knees plucking weeds one by one, I'd go nuts!

lukemelo216
02-23-2011, 09:01 AM
I would never just weed whack weeds in beds. Then you have mulch flying at you, and the beds look worst then before. Those prodcution time are my numbers, in which I have documented numerous times. Those are done on places that usually have a pretty good weed control program implemented.

if we have a lot of grassy weeds, we will just spray them with round up and be done, or if a flower bed is really bad, we wil make a really strong mix of round up and spray, 2 days later go back and all the weeds are nearly dead, so pulling them out will make that easy.

This is something you really need to bid though just property to property. Especially 1 time jobs or people who only want it done, a couple times a year. Your production rate will shoot way down compared to someone who gets this on a weekly basis

kirkmbrown2001
02-23-2011, 02:50 PM
Weeding by Hand:
Hand weeding shrub beds - beds that are mulched to at least a 2" depth
Light Growth: 3 Min. per 100 sq. ft
Moderate Growth: 6 Min. per 100 sq. ft
Heavy Growth: 9 Min. per 100 sq. ft

Weeding by Elimination:
Weeding by Elimination - using a non-selective herbicide sprayed on individual growth within shrub beds that are mulched to at least a 2" depth
Light Growth: 3 Min. per 1,000 sq. ft
Moderate Growth: 6 Min. per 1,000 sq. ft
Heavy Growth: 9 Min. per 1,000 sq. ft

Think Green
02-24-2011, 04:09 PM
Agape and Luke,
I can see where you read into my original post as unprofessional. The omission of raking from the sentence on a one hit customer was forgotten. This would lead anyone to believe that a bed will look like sour apples. In all cases, we still use a line trimmer, hand pull out weeds from the plants, apply glyphosate, pendi, ornamec, or razor pro. Either way with combinations. This is done after the material is cleaned out of course. THEN MULCH!!
We would hope to obtain a customer from bed cleanouts afterwards........most times we get them. Quite often enough............the customer opts out for a one time a year service.
Thanks for bringing this out in debate!!!

Agape
02-24-2011, 04:43 PM
Agape and Luke,
I can see where you read into my original post as unprofessional. The omission of raking from the sentence on a one hit customer was forgotten. This would lead anyone to believe that a bed will look like sour apples. In all cases, we still use a line trimmer, hand pull out weeds from the plants, apply glyphosate, pendi, ornamec, or razor pro. Either way with combinations. This is done after the material is cleaned out of course. THEN MULCH!!
We would hope to obtain a customer from bed cleanouts afterwards........most times we get them. Quite often enough............the customer opts out for a one time a year service.
Thanks for bringing this out in debate!!!

well, glyphosate is absorbed through the pores in the leaves, and you just whacked off... the leaves. the others you mentioned sound like brand names that I'm un familiar with.
I'd like to see the beds 3 weeks after you leave as it may be why customers "opt out" (nice way of puting it) for the one time service.

Please send pics of your work before, after, and 3 weeks after,so I can use them as sales tools against going with "other" companies and the value of a more "Quality oriented" company.:dizzy:

Think Green
02-24-2011, 06:43 PM
Agape,
You want to criticize a company you know nothing about, then you can Private message meand we will hash it out there. I will not glorify your ego in acting like a 20 year old fluff boy!
You do know how to use the system.

Agape
02-24-2011, 08:58 PM
Fluff this!
I can't possibly believe that you operate in such a manner, take roundup with you when you estimate and spray right then, doing it after is lazy and not in the best intrest of your customers. We don't need to be "pen pals" for me to tell you this. there will be no PM.:gunsfirin

greenchoppers
02-24-2011, 09:07 PM
well, glyphosate is absorbed through the pores in the leaves, and you just whacked off... the leaves. the others you mentioned sound like brand names that I'm un familiar with.
I'd like to see the beds 3 weeks after you leave as it may be why customers "opt out" (nice way of puting it) for the one time service.

Please send pics of your work before, after, and 3 weeks after,so I can use them as sales tools against going with "other" companies and the value of a more "Quality oriented" company.:dizzy:

You are not perfect either. I am sure in your 100,000 years of landscaping experience that you have under your belt, you made a mistake somewhere along the line.

Give the guy a break.

StihlMechanic
02-24-2011, 09:12 PM
So a re-cap. When weeding its not faster to just pull them by hand? I confused.

Florida Gardener
02-24-2011, 10:43 PM
Not sure what planet some if you guys live on, but green seems to run a great business. I did a job the other day in which the lady didn't want me to "put much effort into it" so I sprayed roundup on the weeds and mulched. If someone won't pay for hand weeding, why would you do it??
Posted via Mobile Device

Agape
02-25-2011, 02:21 AM
If You really believe it's better to string trim weeds, cover them with mulch, and put some chem down-than it is to first treat the weeds, and get poison into the roots first, so the weeds don't "sprout up like weeds"?

pulling weeds by hand may be faster than hoeing in a single square foot if the beds are already maintained and have 3-4 weeds per foot and even then you can move from foot to foot faster on your feet with a hoe than on your knees, but people don't usually call me until I need a shovel more than a hoe for a one time job.

Even green chops who has 20 threads asking how long everything takes, thinks it's a mistake, based on his post. but hey, if thats what flies in Alabama...:confused:

Think Green
03-02-2011, 08:20 PM
I can see that Agape was the only LCO that saw through my corrupt intent of this thread with my response.
1. A window costs way more to replace than to weed by hand.
2. A automobile costs way more to repair than to weed by hand and with herbicides.
3. Improper use of a herbicide warrants weed outbreaks and unneeded call backs at the customers expense. The integrity of the business was compromised.
It has been performed in my area for decades as seen by myself and other LCO's. The mentality of the line trimmer junkie is second nature to some.
If I hijacked this thread, then I am sorry! The original poster obtained a well planned post from a generous member on this site. So I played the dumb boy to make a point at the expense of my better knowledge.
So since the posts stopped with Agape, I thank you all for not tearing me apart. Don made a valiant point of quality in business. Whether it takes the use of sophisticated tools and herbicides, the way you utilize them is real critical.

Agape
03-02-2011, 10:44 PM
.....sooooo....we're cool?...lol