PDA

View Full Version : How to get rid of Rubella plants?

greenchoppers
02-21-2011, 09:31 PM
Hello,

We have a customer that has a small, but very persistent patch of Rubella in her flowerbeds. She wants to get rid of the Rubella altogether. She has tried pulling the plant out and its roots but it comes right back.

I thought of painting on glyphosphate and then pull after it dies. Any ideas?

Picture attached.

greenchoppers
02-23-2011, 01:09 AM
Bumpity bump bump.

Az Gardener
02-23-2011, 01:23 AM
Its actually called Ruellia and its pretty easy to pull. You just have to be sure you get it all. you could use a small paint brush and paint the leafs with glyphos if you think thats easier.

Florida Gardener
02-23-2011, 01:36 AM
haha, that's what i thought he was referring to. Az, you guys have that in AZ? I hate the stuff. Way overused here and invades everything.

rob7233
02-23-2011, 01:57 PM
Mexican Petunia can be a nice plant that gives pretty purple flowers that open especially in the morning. I use it in my own yard as part of a focal point but I keep it contained. Otherwise it will spread.

So,it's either the wrong plant in the wrong place or the damn landscaper's fault! :hammerhead:

Like bermuda in SA, ya gotta keeep after it, till it's gone. Spray, paint, bomb or burn, but it's not happening with just one treatment or anytime soon.

greenchoppers
02-23-2011, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the replies. I will try glyphosphate and see how it goes.

Florida Gardener
02-23-2011, 11:42 PM
Mexican Petunia can be a nice plant that gives pretty purple flowers that open especially in the morning. I use it in my own yard as part of a focal point but I keep it contained. Otherwise it will spread.

So,it's either the wrong plant in the wrong place or the damn landscaper's fault! :hammerhead:

Like bermuda in SA, ya gotta keeep after it, till it's gone. Spray, paint, bomb or burn, but it's not happening with just one treatment or anytime soon.

Rob

IMO it's one of those plants that is not worth the flowers. Yea, they look ok, but they don't look awesome, when you trim they look barren, when you don't trim they look weedy, and they are another invasive to keep after. I feel the same way about Bougie's. The flowers are showier, but trimming is a PITA, and they always end up getting top heavy.

ReddensLawnCare
02-23-2011, 11:58 PM
Roundup...let dry...water....let die... wait two weeks roundup again...let dry...water again. Then remove