PDA

View Full Version : This may sound silly but

South Florida Lawns
02-22-2011, 01:35 AM
Anybody go to Disney or Bush Gardens and only look at the landscaping? The few times I been to both places as a kid (cant stand long lines/crowds) I only really paid attention to the landscaping.

I saw that picture in the other thread of the mickey logo outta pansies and that reminded me of the killer landscape designs they use.

I bet I'm one of the very few that would buy a ticket just to see the green part of these parks. Heck drink beer all day long at bush gardens, and look at the neat designs, I may have to take a trip this year.

unkownfl
02-22-2011, 01:37 AM
I have a platinum pass to the previous Busch parks. My aunt use to be in charge of Epcots horticulture about 10 years ago now. I always look at the landscape at sea world then I go look at the reef tanks. I don't even ride the rides anymore.

Landscape Poet
02-22-2011, 02:10 AM
Anybody go to Disney or Bush Gardens and only look at the landscaping? The few times I been to both places as a kid (cant stand long lines/crowds) I only really paid attention to the landscaping.

I saw that picture in the other thread of the mickey logo outta pansies and that reminded me of the killer landscape designs they use.

I bet I'm one of the very few that would buy a ticket just to see the green part of these parks. Heck drink beer all day long at bush gardens, and look at the neat designs, I may have to take a trip this year.

My wife makes me go to Disney about every other weekend if she can. I do just as you have mentioned. I spend more time looking at the landscape than I do the rides.

A couple of weeks ago when I was there I was noticing right outside of the entrance to the Magic Kingdom they push mow as it was evident from the tracks in the turf. Hard to believe that they would not push productivity.

I would had to guess what those guys spend on plant materials alone in a year, but I can tell you if you see a plant in decline, it will most likely not be there when you visit next week! If only our customers would just let us pull and replace.....we would all be to busy to post on LS:laugh:

Landscape Poet
02-22-2011, 02:12 AM
I always look at the landscape at sea world then I go look at the reef tanks. I don't even ride the rides anymore.

Sea world is not bad either......I do not care for Universal's efforts.

Ric
02-22-2011, 12:26 PM
Yo

Last time I remember being in Disney World was 5 years ago to meet with Bobby Gedd and his family. Bobby being from NJ had no idea what our plant are and was amazed I knew all the names. Hello they are the plant I deal with every day.

MY POINT IS. While it has been a while since I was in Disney World, the MAINTENANCE HAS SLIPPED BAD. Whites Flies and scale on the plants and dirt and dust on the building that use to be cared for daily. Now that was in good times when money was flowing. I am wondering what it is like now that we are in a recession

TYCINC
02-22-2011, 12:27 PM
Its everywhere I go, not just theme parks. . landscaping is a way of life

TYCINC
02-22-2011, 12:30 PM
and I notice a ton of **** work. I just dont get it, it pisses me off- Id never leave a job that way, and if I did I know the client wouldnt let it fly- but it flies for these other dumbasses

Landscape Poet
02-22-2011, 08:02 PM
Yo

Last time I remember being in Disney World was 5 years ago to meet with Bobby Gedd and his family.

Did they mistake that little short guy for one of the seven dwarfs?

Ric
02-22-2011, 11:59 PM
Did they mistake that little short guy for one of the seven dwarfs?

Mikey

I believe Bobby Gedd was ban long before you became a member on LS. However Bobby and Calvin have got to be the most infamous members that LS ever had. I used to Bump Calvin's most famous thread once a year for the new member before the mods closed it.

South Florida Lawns
02-23-2011, 01:55 AM
Thats crazy about Disney, bet its from cutbacks.

I have heard some crazy rumors from downstairs about BG being paid to make posts, ya know to stir things up on LS and get ppl posting. he always managed to come back under different names.

Calvin was a great poster, I think he had the post about taking a 36 wb down a set of stairs in a customers gated back yard, only to find out that there was now way to get the mower back up so he left it and had to dissasemble part of the fence or something.

There was another totally crazy member gardepanzer or yardpanzer forget the name he would post threads and you could totally tell when he was on and off his meds.

My fav guys on here was fairway

Landscape Poet
02-23-2011, 10:32 AM
Mikey

I believe Bobby Gedd was ban long before you became a member on LS.

That does not mean that I do not know who he is or that I have not had interaction with him Ricky. So like I asked, did that short little man get attacked by some kids that were thinking he was a dwarf.

Landscape Poet
02-23-2011, 10:37 AM
Mikey

I believe Bobby Gedd was ban long before you became a member on LS.

That does not mean that I do not know who he is or that I have not had interaction with him Ricky. So like I asked, did that short little man get attacked by some kids that were thinking he was a dwarf?:laugh:

DLCS
02-23-2011, 11:37 AM

I have heard some crazy rumors from downstairs about BG being paid to make posts, ya know to stir things up on LS and get ppl posting. he always managed to come back under different names.

Calvin was a great poster, I think he had the post about taking a 36 wb down a set of stairs in a customers gated back yard, only to find out that there was now way to get the mower back up so he left it and had to dissasemble part of the fence or something.

There was another totally crazy member gardepanzer or yardpanzer forget the name he would post threads and you could totally tell when he was on and off his meds.

Fairway and Calvin are the same guy. Actually he has used a dozen different names.

DLCS
02-23-2011, 11:39 AM
The last time I was at Disney World was in November of 2009. I was more interested in the landscapes than the rides.:)

Ric
02-23-2011, 12:13 PM

Gardenpanzer was Power Reel also and he used a Reel Mower. However his real job was Hydroponic farming a commercially viable crop. His Farm is now located in LEGAL Calf.

Fairway and Calvin are the same guy. Actually he has used a dozen different names.

DLCS

Yep old Calvin was a real joker, His Mower down the steps thread was published in Turf Magazine I believe. It has been Copied and Pasted all over the Internet.

The last time I was at Disney World was in November of 2009. I was more interested in the landscapes than the rides.:)

Back on Subject::

DLCS

I don't think coming from the Mid West and not knowing Florida Landscape, you can fully appreciate how unkempt Disney World is today Compared to before the Disney Euro bath. At one time a very well trained staff took excellent care of Disney. LS Members like Tim Smith(ATAK) Greg Alman and Marc Smith got excellent hand on training working at Disney World working with a very educated Staff & Management.

Ric
02-23-2011, 12:23 PM
Just had to add

Back in the Late 1960's up until about 10 years ago Disney World was considered the PLACE to work as an apprentice. It did not matter what field you were in, Disney was the PLACE. Many people with College Degrees went work at Disney just so they could put it on a resume. Many of these people went on to very rewarding Professions because of their Disney Experience. No I never had or took the opportunity to learn at Disney World.

DLCS
02-23-2011, 12:51 PM
Ric,

I noticed a couple of years ago that Valley did most of the lawn and landscape maintenance at Disney and their surounding properties, is thats till the case?

DLCS
02-23-2011, 12:53 PM
Just had to add

Back in the Late 1960's up until about 10 years ago Disney World was considered the PLACE to work as an apprentice. It did not matter what field you were in, Disney was the PLACE. Many people with College Degrees went work at Disney just so they could put it on a resume. Many of these people went on to very rewarding Professions because of their Disney Experience. No I never had or took the opportunity to learn at Disney World.

I know quite a few from my area who went to Disney after college for internships and to have Disney listed on their resume. One was a proffesional dancer that started his career with Disney.

abrightday
02-23-2011, 05:10 PM
I worked in Disney Pest Management in the early to middle 90's, I was taking care of Port Orleans, Dixie Landings, MGM, and Epcot, also did service calls all over resorts 2nd shift,, as I understand it from some of my buds still working there, they are out sourcing more and more,,people are worried about their jobs,,but hey, when I had it we spared no effort to keep the place looking great! But it turned more and more into do more and more, for less and less,, I saw the writing on the wall and started my own business.:clapping:
www.YourLandscapePro.com
Boy the stories I could tell,, I should write a book,,,

Ric
02-23-2011, 06:31 PM
I know quite a few from my area who went to Disney after college for internships and to have Disney listed on their resume. One was a proffesional dancer that started his career with Disney.

DLCS

Yes all professions but those wishing to get into acting or performing really got a break at Disney. I think a internship in the performing arts is still a good ticket.

I worked in Disney Pest Management in the early to middle 90's, I was taking care of Port Orleans, Dixie Landings, MGM, and Epcot, also did service calls all over resorts 2nd shift,, as I understand it from some of my buds still working there, they are out sourcing more and more,,people are worried about their jobs,,but hey, when I had it we spared no effort to keep the place looking great! But it turned more and more into do more and more, for less and less,, I saw the writing on the wall and started my own business.:clapping:
www.YourLandscapePro.com
Boy the stories I could tell,, I should write a book,,,

A bright day

Yes a lot people had opportunities at Disney. Some just did not absorb the wonderful knowledge and are still asking questions instead of answering them.

abrightday
02-23-2011, 07:46 PM
It's by asking questions I feel others would like to discuss, it brings out more great dialogue from such knowledgeable people as yourself Ric, and I do answer questions also, like telling everyone what I use to treat weeds in St. Augustine,, unlike others I know of.:) So how about it?? What are you using??:hammerhead:
www.YourLandscapePro.com

South Florida Lawns
02-24-2011, 08:01 PM
Very interesting information here guys thanks. Marc Smith is a great guy and knows his stuff.

I do remember the euro boom lol at Disney thats when I was there last actually. Its been a while.

Ric
02-24-2011, 08:36 PM
It's by asking questions I feel others would like to discuss, it brings out more great dialogue from such knowledgeable people as yourself Ric, and I do answer questions also, like telling everyone what I use to treat weeds in St. Augustine,, unlike others I know of.:) So how about it?? What are you using??:hammerhead:
www.YourLandscapePro.com

A Bright Day

You seem to be missing the point I specialize in controlling weeds that others can't. For example Bermuda and Torpedo Grass in St Augustine. I am not about to give away my trade Secrets that I took years to learn so every Tom Dick and Harry can low ball me. Very Seldom do you even see me post in a thread about selective weed control. Gregory will tell you I will takes those secrets to my grave

OK So hate me for being proprietary about my weed control, But I have put enough information on LS about other subject to more than make up for it.

Very interesting information here guys thanks. Marc Smith is a great guy and knows his stuff.

I do remember the euro boom lol at Disney thats when I was there last actually. Its been a while.

South

Yes Marc Smith is a good guy, But right now he is mad at Lawnsite and refuses to log on. I don't think any one realizes how successful Marc actually is. But Marc would be the last to brag which is typical of people who actually have it. Those who are Broke are the ones Lying (Bragging) about how much they actually DON"T HAVE.

Florida Gardener
02-24-2011, 08:52 PM
Anytime I see a post or thread by Marc smith or az gardener, I always read it and usually learn something. What happened with him?
Posted via Mobile Device

South Florida Lawns
02-25-2011, 03:07 AM
Oh Ric lol Bermuda in St. Augustine is one of my pet peeves. You would make a lot of money in my area these days doing what you do. I have killed off my entire lawn to rid of the nasty looking Sahara Bermuda.

Landscape Poet
02-25-2011, 09:33 AM
Oh Ric lol Bermuda in St. Augustine is one of my pet peeves. You would make a lot of money in my area these days doing what you do. I have killed off my entire lawn to rid of the nasty looking Sahara Bermuda.

Killing off like a third of mine now to rid it of bermuda too. The lawn overall is in good shape especially considering it was a rental for years before we purchased the home....but of course anytime it seems I feed the SA - the Bermuda take more advantage of the fert than the SA and spreads just a little further.

MR-G
02-25-2011, 09:43 AM
Disney employs between 600-800 people for grounds maintenance depending on season...they also grow all their own materials...there is a "backstage" tour you can take of the nursey and groundskeeping facilities...pretty impressive i must say...for a theme park.

Ric
02-25-2011, 11:24 AM

South

I am on the Gulf Coast of Florida, But like the old TV Show and for the right price.

HAVE SPRAY GUN WILL TRAVEL

wire Ric SW Fla.

abrightday
02-26-2011, 04:17 PM
Hey Ric, no one hates you,, I just keep on trying,,thanks for all your input!!:waving:

Ric
02-26-2011, 04:26 PM
Hey Ric, no one hates you,, I just keep on trying,,thanks for all your input!!:waving:

Adullday

Trust me I could care less if you or anyone else hates me. But You might want to reserve a place in line to Piss on my grave. I believe spot # 434 is still open.

abrightday
02-26-2011, 09:15 PM
Whatever Ric,,

MR-G
02-27-2011, 09:26 AM
Another thing to consider about the condition of the landscape at WDW is the fact that we in florida have seen some extremely cold temps. during the past 2-3 winters...that does not help the tropical plant materials disney likes to use....they have also become more environmentally aware and do not use as much water, fert, and chems. as in the past...they experiment with many different types of horticulture practices...some work well, others do not....they have some real good horticulture talant there and will eventually bring the resort back to its original state....they are innovators in the biggest ways....

jsslawncare
02-27-2011, 09:43 AM
Yes I noticed, could not afford to do anything else.

ProMo
02-27-2011, 11:12 AM
Disney employs between 600-800 people for grounds maintenance depending on season...they also grow all their own materials...there is a "backstage" tour you can take of the nursey and groundskeeping facilities...pretty impressive i must say...for a theme park.

I know a nursery owner that grows annuals for wdw