PDA

View Full Version : 800 Gal. Gas

Phishook
09-12-2002, 02:19 AM
Just ordered 800 gal. of gas today(Wed.).

$1.36/gal. * 800 gal. = $1,088

think this was a bad idea? This should get me into mid January. Plus, now I won't be paying some one to sit at the gas station for 15 min. every morning.

Just hated putting that money up knowing it'll be 1.20 the rest of the year.

vipermanz
09-12-2002, 04:42 AM
you don't have worries about it going stale?
do you use a stabilizer??

Guido
09-12-2002, 04:49 AM
It shouldn't. 800 gallons won't last all that long,....if your using it in trucks too. I would think you would have caught a little bit of a break when buying in bulk, but I guess not.

You'll just have to watch the prices, when they fall, figure out how much money you lost due to price drop, and put that against the manhours that would have been spent going to/from and at the station.

I'm not sure what the numbers will say, but I think you made the right choice. I would think you save more in labor costs and wasted hours by doing it this way.

vipermanz
09-12-2002, 04:52 AM
Stale was the only thing off the top of my mind, how about flat or sour?:D

stslawncare
09-12-2002, 10:57 AM
licenses/permits needed for this?

geogunn
09-12-2002, 03:21 PM
for my needs I always find a place with no waiting. and I am usually needing to stop for a snack or drink anyway. personally, I can't see any time savings.

GEO

Guido
09-12-2002, 03:26 PM
You may not loose any time stopping, but a crew on their own might turn a quick fill up into breaktime!

It all ads up!

LAWNGODFATHER
09-12-2002, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by stslawncare
licenses/permits needed for this? Depends on state, city ordeneces, zoning.

I have a big tank also and their is no permit/license needed.

Gas/fuel in that quantity does not go stale. Look at your neighborhood gas station.

Buying in bulk does not constitue a discount, in most cases it is that same or more than pump prices. When you buy gas you buy it from a small tanker truck, unless you have a gas station. There is a middle man. You also pay all taxes up front, keep track of what you use in mowers, and deduct those out of your taxes. Road tax by fueling trucks does not get deducted.

I don't use the tank anymore as it wont fit at my new shop, but we have a gas station right around the corner, and get enough gas to last 3-4 days with each stop there. We only really go because the trucks need it first, so we refuel everything.

Advice time from my findings; when you have been doing this long enough you know about how many gallons of gas you will need each day. Buy gas cans to hold the gas for use each day.

If the trucks didn't require gas first I could go the whole week just off the gas cans. If I bought more cans they could fill the truck with cans to finish the week, but I like using a seprate pump to fill the trucks to keep exact tract of how many gallons of fuel the mowers use each and every week.

Likestomow
09-12-2002, 10:53 PM
Should have come to Nawth Gawja --- it's only $1.159

BigJim
09-12-2002, 11:07 PM
:cry: It's $2.19 a gallon here,I just filled up my truck:cry:

Phishook
09-13-2002, 03:10 AM
No permits needed here.

I did get an .08 discount, that brought it down to what it is at the station where we normally filled up.

Didn't really think about it going stale, but agree w/LGF that lage of quanity shouldn't varnish too fast.

Dosn't the Iraq issue make you wounder :confused: