PDA

View Full Version : Printers that print addresses on postcards?

walker-talker
02-22-2011, 10:13 AM
Anybody out there have or pricecd a special printer that will print the addresses onto postcards? I was just thinking if a guy wanted to do some mailings every year, religiously, could he save money by doing the mailings himself?

I know I would have to hire somebody to design and print the postcards and purchase the mailing list everytime, but I think a guy could save some money if he bought the postage permit and did the printing of the addresses himself.

Anybody figure this stuff up? Figure what your break even point would be based on how many postcards you would have to send out?....100,000? More...less?

PTP
02-22-2011, 10:41 AM
Unless time is a major factor, your best option is to peal and stick labels.

I believe that the cheaper machines start around 5k and that might be on the cheap side. You could probably pick up something used for around half that. On the bright side though, the machines are rated for around 30 million pieces of mail.

stevenf
02-22-2011, 02:02 PM
I am considering doing mailouts myself next year. I will do the small labels myself. It takes a long time but it will save a ton of money!

gasracer
02-22-2011, 02:31 PM
If you have your client list in your computer it will take a few minutes to do the labels yourself. You find your label size or model in the list and go with it.

walker-talker
02-22-2011, 04:42 PM
If I am going to do a mailing of 15,000....I am not going to use labels and do them myself...no way..no how...lol. I think the local printer service for that amount was around $250. If I was going to do maybe 1000 or less, I might consider labels and doing them myself.

If I was going to purchase a printer and postage permit, I would have to have plans of doing A LOT. I am talking 50K-100K a year...for the next 10 years or so. I would have to make it really worth it. I was guessing one might be bought for around a couple grand or so...guess I was wrong.

walker-talker
02-22-2011, 05:30 PM
I have been searching for an hour now and can't even find printers that do this

kgcs
02-22-2011, 07:22 PM
I currently do this. You do not need any special printer for this. I bought a laser printer last year from office max and it works great for this purpose. The printer only cost $60 dollars and the toner for it, if you buy it on the internet, only cost $25, and it is good for 3,000 pages. So, that would be good for about 25k postcard address.

I use a feature in Microsoft Word called mail merge that pulls all of my address from an excel spread sheet a puts it on each postcard. You just got to play with the settings though to get it to print on the correct part of the postcard.

PTP
02-22-2011, 07:41 PM
I have been searching for an hour now and can't even find printers that do this

Google "address printer" and that should get you going. There are also people who sell them on ebay.

kirkmbrown2001
02-22-2011, 08:16 PM
Look at dymo label printers. I don't have one but I know you can print postage with the dymo software. You can also print address labels. Just a thought!

JeffNY
02-22-2011, 09:02 PM
Just throwing it out there, Overnightprints.com can print them fairly cheap, and label them, and mail them for 34c each. Thats where I get mine done. Bought the mailing list from the county, and just upload it when I order the cards.

walker-talker
02-22-2011, 10:32 PM
Kevin, how many can you put in the printer at one time?

JeffNY...that's not that good of a deal. Adeas, the banner at the top of this page, will do them for .26 each if you order at least 5000 of them. I am looking to get cost down around .17 each.

JeffNY
02-22-2011, 10:33 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

kgcs
02-23-2011, 05:48 AM
The printer holds 250 sheets of paper but since postcards are thicker it will hold about 100 of them
Posted via Mobile Device

kgcs
02-23-2011, 05:59 AM
The printer holds 250 sheets of paper but since postcards are thicker it will hold about 100 of them
Posted via Mobile Device

JeffNY
02-23-2011, 07:36 AM
I was talking about the postage, not price per card. Price per card is around 5 cents.