PDA

View Full Version : Lava rock, pros and cons

Sweet Tater
02-22-2011, 11:52 AM
I ave a custoomer that just bought a new house and the landscape sucks so we are going to redo it. However it has lava rock in it instead of mulch and she loves it, I dont think its a good item for flower beds but really dont know that much about it. CAn those that have worked with it or have knowledge of lava rock please give me some pros and cons about it. We are in north east Mississippi, and it can get to 100 degrees and above in the summer and redclay soil, just so you have an idea of what I am working with.

MowHouston
02-22-2011, 12:13 PM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=lava+rock+pros+and+cons :D

gunsnroses
02-22-2011, 05:32 PM
Pros= none......(5 minutes later) nope still cant think of one

Cons= it looks like a 1982 pile of junk Mcdonalds job
= someday... some poor sap will have to remove it....that will suck

* disclaimer----this is based on my opinion

JB1
02-22-2011, 05:40 PM
expensive to put in but then you are done, no more mulching. I like it.

93Chevy
02-22-2011, 05:50 PM
I'd rather have river gravel, or colored limestone. Lave rock is too light and will blow out of beds with backpack blowers if there's some wet leaves in there.

Think Green
02-22-2011, 11:45 PM
Tater,
Lava rock is predominantly sold at the big ticket stores because it is used in flowering pots and urns. It has that appealing color for indoor decorations along with colored glass stones and polished stones.
I have one commercial building with lava stone on 4 pathways. It floats, it floats,it floats.
Cannot get the leaves out it worth a hoot!! Weeds will still grow through and around their bulk at 2-3 inch depth.
It seems that the use of these rocks is up to the eye of the beholder as long as you lay out some con's, then the customer will not be surprised to learn the hard way. Or Not!!!

Chris McCrary
02-25-2011, 12:34 PM
I had that crap in my flowers beds. Why on earth would someone want to do that? It ends up everywhere. It floats, it gets blown around, makes nice noises when you run a unsuspecting piece over with the lawn mower. If you ever don't like it, its a pain to get out.

MarkintheGarden
02-25-2011, 06:08 PM
I hate lava rock for all the reasons mentioned, and one not yet stated; If you are using landscape fabric with lava rock on top, it is hard to keep any landscape plants alive and healthy. Juniper and yews seem to survive, but everything else dies, or barely survives the conditions.

Johnny test
02-27-2011, 06:21 PM
Some pros are that it is lighter than stone and being that its porous it has a insulating effect. Giving a lower surface temp that would help during a drought.