PDA

View Full Version : Time to clear 1,000 square feet of leaves

greenchoppers
02-22-2011, 04:22 PM
Hello,

Anyone have an average or estimate to clear 1,000 square feet of leaves on a lawn? We do not have a leaf vacuum...everything picked up by hand.

We haven't done many leaf jobs and was just thinking perhaps 1-hour per 1,000 square feet is about average with 2-people.

Does that sound about right?

Agape
02-22-2011, 04:36 PM
Are you asking how long it will take? 1000 square feet is only 20X50 and although it is a small area, variables like beds area, Is there ivy or ground cover? do you have a blower and how powerful to get out of bushes or are you just trying to rake around all of them?

Are there enough oak trees surrounding that it is 2 feet deep in leaves? etc.....

No one can give you a good answer based on your info.

greenchoppers
02-22-2011, 04:48 PM
I am trying to come up with an average. I don't mean to give any specific job information because it is not about one job.

Let's narrow it down a little more....wide open area; no ground cover, not even grass (just dirt); 10-foot radius flower beds around trees; leaves are 3 inches thick on average. Blow leaves in a big pile, then rake to collect.

greenchoppers
02-22-2011, 04:48 PM
Are you asking how long it will take? 1000 square feet is only 20X50 and although it is a small area, variables like beds area, Is there ivy or ground cover? do you have a blower and how powerful to get out of bushes or are you just trying to rake around all of them?

Are there enough oak trees surrounding that it is 2 feet deep in leaves? etc.....

No one can give you a good answer based on your info.

Yes, i am asking for average time to clear leaves in this amount of area.

CircleC
02-22-2011, 05:05 PM
mow it up with my Navigator....15 min($45)

Raking with 2 dudes...$70. $35 per man hour. Thats what I would do....

greenchoppers
02-22-2011, 05:07 PM

Thank you.

Agape
02-22-2011, 05:08 PM
I am trying to come up with an average. I don't mean to give any specific job information because it is not about one job.

Let's narrow it down a little more....wide open area; no ground cover, not even grass (just dirt); 10-foot radius flower beds around trees; leaves are 3 inches thick on average. Blow leaves in a big pile, then rake to collect.

well, 3 inches deep will be quicker to rake into piles than to try to blow into piles and 2 guys and a tarp is faster than two guys with buckets.

And two guys that do a lot of leaves will be faster than 2 who haven't done many leaves at all............

.........This is why I don't give estimates over the phone, which is kind of what you're asking us to do.

What you think is 1000 Sf. may be 1500, and what you think is 3" may be 5".....etc...

What I can tell you is to bid for the worst case scenario- what you think 2 guys can do in an hour often turns out to be an hour and 45 minutes, (which means instead of paying $30 in labor, you're paying $52.50- which is significant if you only charge $100 based on two man hours and dumping)Also, you have to pay for your guys to go to the dump and unload etc... so plan, charge enough for problems and get some experience and you will know exactly how long it will take you to do such a job.

I was just throwing out easy numbers for examples by the way, your numbers may vary.

greenchoppers
02-22-2011, 05:17 PM
well, 3 inches deep will be quicker to rake into piles than to try to blow into piles and 2 guys and a tarp is faster than two guys with buckets.

And two guys that do a lot of leaves will be faster than 2 who haven't done many leaves at all............

.........This is why I don't give estimates over the phone, which is kind of what you're asking us to do.

What you think is 1000 Sf. may be 1500, and what you think is 3" may be 5".....etc...

What I can tell you is to bid for the worst case scenario- what you think 2 guys can do in an hour often turns out to be an hour and 45 minutes, (which means instead of paying $30 in labor, you're paying $52.50- which is significant if you only charge $100 based on two man hours and dumping)Also, you have to pay for your guys to go to the dump and unload etc... so plan, charge enough for problems and get some experience and you will know exactly how long it will take you to do such a job.

I was just throwing out easy numbers for examples by the way, your numbers may vary.

I am not asking for an estimate over the phone, I don't do those either. If I say it is for 1,000 square feet, it is for 1,000 square feet because I measured it with my measuring wheel and I own a calculator to calculate square footage. I do know a little about what in the world I am doing here.

Nevermind, I'll find what I am looking for elsewhere.

Agape
02-22-2011, 05:20 PM

I have a $150 minimum for any job as I have to pay for fuel and my workers to drive to and from the site and to dump if it's one single weed, or 15 minutes with a navigator and I spent a fortune getting my name out etc...

CircleC
02-22-2011, 05:49 PM
How do you figure $150. Soooo...does that mean you are charging $75 per man hour. Dude....you got some "HIGH" over head. Good luck....I see you are in OR. Hit me up when you are selling your dump truck....gotta keep that over head low...ask PROCUT how that high over head is treating him.

Agape
02-22-2011, 06:06 PM
How do you figure $150. Soooo...does that mean you are charging $75 per man hour. Dude....you got some "HIGH" over head. Good luck....I see you are in OR. Hit me up when you are selling your dump truck....gotta keep that over head low...ask PROCUT how that high over head is treating him.

I'm saying I have a minimum, not that I charge $75/hr. in fact I don't do an hourly charge as I've spent thousands of$$$ on equipment to speed things up.

Pretend that I have a job on the other end of town, It will take only an hour for two guys, or Two man hours and produces half a load of debris, then lets say I have a barkdust job the next day or some other reason I need to have my truck empty, (whatever). Also, that my maintenance day in that area is already full, so I can't squeeze it in.

Then I have 2 guys loading and driving to the site =(1 man hour)
The job.................................................................. =(2 man hours)
Then drive to the dump, unload, and drive back to the shop =( 2 man hours)
( doesn't include dump fees)
so I'm paying now for 5 man hours ($75) + dumping and fuel, and you want to charge it as 2 hours at $35 per hour!!??

DUDE! let me know when you want to sell that navigator! Yes, I have a minimum fee, maybe I'm busy and have other jobs that day, maybe I don't....It's not my job to hustle so I can give the customer a deal. my job is profit.

Agape
02-22-2011, 06:15 PM
P.S.- I own all my trucks and equipment, no payments except my house.
And you would only spend a bunch of money on my dump truck so you could go faster and charge less, wich makes absolutely no sense.:cool2:

c3wlandscaping
02-22-2011, 07:56 PM
agape. thanks for the advice. it helped me not get screwed in the future. i was wondering the same thing actually.

CircleC
02-22-2011, 09:19 PM
Ya....thanks for your help. I have been charging $10 per lawn doing 4 an hour thinking I was making $40 per hour. Dang! I was wrong!

Thats pretty cool you have everything payed for...I cant wait til that happens. I just got a 2011 F350, I gotta pull a big 5x8 trailer. I gotta get more $10 lawn to make that payment...hope I can!

:nono:

Just kidding....Im not that off tha deep end! When you said $150 min charge I misnderstood. I do the same thing on single jobs...

Agape
02-22-2011, 09:52 PM
yeah, it's winter and we're all a little tense!