PDA

View Full Version : Angle Grinders

SIG
09-12-2002, 10:45 AM
Does anybody use a 4" angle grinder for shapening blades?

65hoss
09-12-2002, 10:49 AM
Yep.

SIG
09-12-2002, 10:53 AM
65 Hoss,
Then why does everyone go out and buy these bench grinders. I think they are a pain! With the angle grinder I see what I am doing and keep the angle almost perfect.

65hoss
09-12-2002, 10:58 AM
Different strokes for different folks, I assume. I've tried both, and I too prefer the angle grinder. I can control it better and get a nice edge put to it. Bench grinder can and will heat the blade real easy. I can control that better with the grinder. Maybe one day I can justify a magnamatic grinder, but until then, I prefer the angle grinder.

SIG
09-12-2002, 11:01 AM
I'm with you brother! Cheap, quick, easy. I guess it's just you and me bro.

Tidycut
09-12-2002, 12:36 PM
I use a 4 1/2 inch angle grinder. That's not what you asked though, but does that count? :D

Personally I think it's much easier and quicker than using a bench grinder.

Rick

PS. I like this edit feature

NBLL
09-12-2002, 12:40 PM
I've been thinking about getting an angle grinder. Would be handy if you chipped a blade and didn't have spares with you. :)

sdwally
09-12-2002, 01:20 PM
We use both. Most operator prefer the angle grinders, since they are easy to use and can leave the blades on the machines. However, with a bench grinder our mechanics can produce a consistant sharp straight edge fairly fast. I belive the bench grinder is faster(especially if you have big nicks), if you know the tricks and had lots of practice. When using a bench grinder - heavy welding glove are a must.

SIG
09-12-2002, 01:34 PM
Tidycut,
I actually meant 4 1/2" angle grinder. I stand corrected. So, yes you agree with me.
:blob2:

SIG
09-12-2002, 01:36 PM
Hey sdwally,
Love your part of the world, especially up there in LaJolla, awesome place!

HarryD
09-12-2002, 02:18 PM
i use a 6 inch grinder but have used bench grinders . we rigged up a piece of 4 inch channel iron with threaded rod welded to the bottom of it mounted it under the grinding wheel of bench grinder with the gaurd modifyed a bit. worked pretty good , when wheel started to wear we could raise channel iron with the nuts on the mounting rods

yardman1
09-12-2002, 07:49 PM
I use a Dewalt 4 1/2 angle grinder, it is quick and I can get a razor edge in no time at all.

Flex-Deck
09-12-2002, 10:09 PM
I use a 4 1/2 in. angle grinder with the red flexie blades you can get at your local true value hardware store - They do not creat heat - "NO BLUE MARKES on the blade which indicates you just lost the temper." They cut metal like crazy - ar fast, and simple- Bench grinders only heat up the blades - destroy temper, and are slower.

Those are only three reasons I use an angle grinder. speed, quality, and maintaining temper.

Thanks, Bradhttp://52X-Flexed In Ditch

EJK2352
09-12-2002, 10:42 PM
I have an RBG blade grinder that is sitting in the corner collecting dust. I use a 4 1/2" hand grinder with a flex pad and 40 grit disc's. I had a friend of mine who works in a weld shop helping me sharpen blades, he bet me he could sharpen two blades to my one. I said your on. He went to his car and got out his personal work grinder (a 4 1/2" setup w/ the flex pad & disc) and went to it. Well lets say he kicked my butt and did actually more like 2 1/2 to my 1. Haven't used the RBG since. It's a quicker and less expensive blade sharpening setup. We take the blades off the mower and clamp them in a vice. :) ;) :) ED

Jimbo
09-13-2002, 12:16 AM
Anyone have photos of blades sharpened with hand grinders. Everyone is talking about how fast they can put a high quality edge on a blade but I am curious what "high" quality edges look like?

Thanks
Jim

Jimbo
09-13-2002, 12:18 AM
EJK2352- when you need some extra money I'll take that RBG off your hands;)

Jim

Alan Bechard
09-13-2002, 10:21 AM
I use a large handheld grinder with a 7" disc, How does it work? FAST, You can burn the blades obviously but you learn to control that.

I will try and remember to post pictures next week.

I am going to the show in Nashville and hope that the Magna Matic crew will be there. I want to see their grinder work. Not to mention I hope they have a show special on their balancer!

I would not go buy the large grinder to do just blades, but I have it already for my other passtimes.

Al B