PDA

View Full Version : Troublesome landscape plan

JShe8918
02-22-2011, 11:07 PM
Note. I do have my plant setters lisc. However i do not have my landscape design lisc. therefore I am not charging for the plan by anymeans.

First off I am looking for a little direction on what you would change. A few problems I am running into include: Imbalance of carrisa holly on one side as opposed to the other, not sure what to use in front of the house (areas with a few shrubs drawn in and the area in front of that. Which has nothing drawn in), as well as i am struggling with the area around the rear where the crawlspace door is. The end where the drive is due north and everything is full sun. This is located in central Alabama zone 7. This yard does not have irrigation which posses a threat. I have tried to upsale demoing the walkway to go back with pavers to get rid of the odd square corner that is mixed with the rounded edge closest to the house and adding irrigation both were failures. The plants used as foundation plants are Indian Hawthorne snow, carrisa holly, pittosphroum, and knock out roses. Trees used are balled and burlapped crepemyrtles red (forgot the species), coral bark jap maple, and small ornamental 5 gal jap maple. If anyone is willing to give me a little guidance it would be appreciated. Attached is the drawing. This isn't for the clients viewing but rather a rough draft of what i think is a good starting point that could use some revision.

Thanks,
Jonathan

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x156/Jonathan818_2007/BJandChipsPlanforbrandon.jpg

White Gardens
02-23-2011, 07:39 AM
I think what would help is if you could post some pics of the site.....

Though I'm not fluent in zone 7 plantings, it would still be nice to know the house color, and any other existing aspects to the structure to help out.

Kiril
02-23-2011, 08:33 AM
My 2 cents. If there is no irrigation, you should be limiting your plant choices to regionally appropriate species (ex. natives). Actually. I believe you should do this in either case, but with no irrigation it becomes even more important to choose carefully.

JShe8918
02-23-2011, 02:01 PM
I agree with both of you. I will take some photos today of the house and I am going to touch base with the clients as well. Thanks everyone
Posted via Mobile Device

FLCthes4:11-12
02-23-2011, 03:53 PM
How bout some loropetalum, gold mound spirea, and maybe cleyera by the crawl space. The irrigation not that big a deal. Up sale on putting in some drip and just connecting to the hose bib on the house. It has been my expirence that a homeowner is much more likely to turn the faucet on and let it water than watering each individual plant. Nice simple looking job wish i had bout three of those a week.

JShe8918
02-23-2011, 05:35 PM
I had thought about cleyera but even with it pruned back hard the root system would eventually grow under the house causing foundation problems won't it. Not familiar with spirea. I'll check into it. My goal is 15 jobs like this for the year.
Posted via Mobile Device

JShe8918
02-24-2011, 08:42 PM
Here it is. It is a simple and honestly not my taste however it is money and will look much better when i am done. First things is we need some shutters big time. Black is my color of choice. In the plan i have made some changes. I will upload the revisions later tonight when i put the finishing touches on it for re-evaluation. I believe it is a far better plan than the one i previously submitted. It completly changes all of the plant material. Nothing is the same other than general arrangement. It uses annual flowers, sango kaku "coral bark" japanese maple with lime green leaves, nellie stevens hollies, james stevens holly, burford hollies as hedges, lantana, and a large water fountain.

JShe8918
02-24-2011, 09:02 PM
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x156/Jonathan818_2007/IMG_0785.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x156/Jonathan818_2007/IMG_0786.jpg