PDA

View Full Version : Fertilizing in Michigan

dr grass
09-12-2002, 04:06 PM
I want to start Fertilization next year as a full service. as of now we throw down a few bags here and there. i need any type of information to start me off. anything to get the ball rolling with this. anywhere from pricing, to what types of fertilizer, to what to put into the contracts..... any help would be great. thanks alot!

shep :blob3:

f350
09-14-2002, 01:31 PM
start here http://www.michigan.gov/mda

as far as fertilizing contracts it's a pipe dream, not gonna happen here

Runner
09-14-2002, 04:52 PM
First, it takes the certification, and to aquire a business license, you have to work under a licensee, while certified, for two years before being able to apply pesticides. ;)

dr grass
09-14-2002, 08:43 PM
do you need a license to spread grainular fertilizer? i thought the license was just for chemical application?have ive been breaking rules for a while now?

shep

Sammy
09-15-2002, 12:05 AM
Shep, No. As long as it is just fert.

f350
09-15-2002, 11:48 AM
i dont understand why you guy's do this, apply only fert that is. there is no value in doing this, when i say value i mean to the homeowner. see we try to sell a complete chemical and fertilizer program and use pitch material such as, you will free up your time, we are pro's and it raises your property value. then a guy like you with no knowledge comes in and spreads fert from kmart.. i'm sorry but that is a piss poor way to make a buck. if you want to be in the fert game than learn like everyone else who is legal.

dr grass
09-15-2002, 07:49 PM
f350 - look puke. if you would stop and read the threads you would answer your own question. the reason why people do this is because chemical fertillizing is illegal (without license) and grainular is not ... seems pretty simple to figure out to me. what do you mean a guy like me. you dont know who i am first of all, son. you tell me to go learn how to do it the right way?? isnt that what im doing with this post??? tell ya what, why dont you just quit posting on my threads and ill show you the same. its idiots like you giving the rest of us a bad name.

shep :angry:

f350
09-15-2002, 08:06 PM
sure pa, if you would look at my post, it would be clear that YOU offer a service of no value, thus leaving a bad taste in the clients name when a true chemical firm needs to step in. i really hope your intentions are not to learn lawncare of your pc, oh your right i dont know you, but i know the type..
"its idiots like you giving the rest of us a bad name. "

sorry guy, but this is the small minded jibber jabber that throws blows in the greens industry. so many " owners " are driven by their EGO ,
( like yourself, i dont know you personally but i have enough time in customer service roles to know you far better than you think )

????chemical fertillizing is illegal (without license) and grainular is not ... seems pretty simple to figure out to me. ????

hmmm, pretty simple huh, so liquid fert is illegal huh and granular is not.. ok, see you need to go work for the big green and learn.

look puke, ok guy... go shine you mower bud

Runner
09-15-2002, 08:06 PM
Shep,
As far as I can see or tell, no, you haven't been doing anything wrong. I'm pretty sure, from previous discussions, that you are just spreading fert. This is totally legal. It's when you get into the herbicides, insecticides, fungicides, and all the others that requires the licensing. - and for good reason; I'm sure you agree.;) Incidentally, does this mean that I'm out of your aunt's property next year for fert?:confused: lol, get ahold of me, and we'll do lunch or breakfast one of these times!:)

LAWNGODFATHER
09-15-2002, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by dr grass
the reason why people do this is because chemical fertillizing is illegal (without license) and grainular is not ... seems pretty simple to figure out to me.

Since it was so easy to figure out then why did you just post this?

Chemical fert and granular fert are one in the same, they are both fertilizers, now once you start applying herbicides and pesticides then it is illegal without a license.

But I do have to agree that you are only doing half a service, what about the other half? Most of what people want is weedcontrol with the fert.

dr grass
09-16-2002, 12:01 AM
hmmmmm ive been in customer service since i was around 4. ( when i would go door to door selling people a look in my bag that i had full of rocks) graduated to shoveling snow around 6 or so ... started mowing around 10. and he knows me better than i may think so ... lol. oh well ... he'll go far. now whats srong with learning someting off the computer .... hell, people get college degrees off the computer .... strange! id say roughly 60% of my research on business is done on the computer. the other 40% from talking to people, reading books, magazines, phamplets, etc.....
lawngodf... the reason i posted it is so a certaing ford driver could figure it out better. and thats pretty much what i do ... in the spring i put down some pre-m, followed by weed/feed, than a winterizer if the client requests. i didnt know i was a fertilizer "scrub" at least i have enough common sence to ask how to do it right and learn it properly.
runner ... thanks a million man. im just trying to pick up on some new tricks to make money with. i didnt know that you put anything down at my aunts! ill get ahold of you soon.

Shep :dizzy:

LAWNGODFATHER
09-16-2002, 01:43 AM
Pricing you can do one of two ways.

Take you product weight and divide by cost then times by application rate then times by 5 to get you a charge per 1000 square feet.

Lets say a 50# bag of fert that costs $10;

$10 divided by 50 = .20cents, times application rate of 4 pounds per 1000sq/ft = .80 cents per 1000sq/ft cost, time 5 = $4 per 1000sq/ft charge per an application.

Add up all the costs for all applications per 1000 sq/ft at their specific rates then times by 5, then divide by amount of applications/visits.

Say 4 applications/visits; applying 50 pound bags of fert costing 2-$10 2-$15.

You get .20 and .30 per a pound both applied at 4#M = .80 and 1.20 time each by 2 then add together you get $4 your cost per 1000sq/ft total for 4 apps, now times 5 = $20, then divide by 4 = $5 per 1000 sq/ft averaged price.

Now for small lawns you might want to have a just to show up charge in addition to this pricing scale.

This will get you started.

f350
09-16-2002, 10:36 AM
ok man, i never try to argue with fools, but i need to defend myself here... it's a shame that you could compare being in a service business with shoveling snow or selling rocks at a mere age 4.... sure people have college degree's of a pc, but there is no replacement for ojt... your comments on me going far, sir forgive me if i seem out of line, but i am leaps and bounds ahead of you.. honestly. your best bet is slow your roll and stop tryin to take me off at the knee's, it's not gonna work. so listen fred bear if you want some sound advice on business activity in michigan, relax, through all of non-sence i still have a great idea for you doing work in grayling. i frequent that joint also.. so instead of sitting at your pc getting into roid rage, pull up the trash can and throw your ego in, then listen up

Expert Lawns
09-17-2002, 05:12 PM
hey shep, i'm with you on this one. not one of my customers is satisfied with these big companies that are solely fert and pest appliers. they do a half *** job and the lawns prove it. so when a customer asks me if i can fert their lawn the RIGHT way, i say of course. i go get my spreader and fert. apply as needed and price as neccesary. that way we both know it was done and done right.

hey f350, what does the f stand for? i bet its 3 letters and rhymes with bag

f350
09-17-2002, 06:05 PM
"Do not criticize what you do not know"

hmm, thats at the bottom of your tag,, interesting.

ok mower jock, get all the right tools and we'll talk.
"so when a customer asks me if i can fert their lawn the RIGHT way, i say of course. "
this is really funny, so that bag of scotts is the right way huh, what about weeds and insects? i know you have no license, givin your last post. it amazes me how you guy's slam tgcl or the other big 3 in michigan, yet not one you have worked for them. they are a wealth of information and the training is spectacular. like i said before, little less ego and a little more sence buddy. i'll tell you what both of you spend an 8hr day on a mower then we will compare reciepts at the days end.. better yet lets compare customer refferal letters. i have a complete book of them,

"hey f350, what does the f stand for? i bet its 3 letters and rhymes with bag"
thats creative, i'm impressed with your critical thinking skills, can you open my bottle of moett with your teeth? if you can i have a job for you.

expert lawn, i didn't come to your job and kick over the frickin tomatoes, so please tool check yourself.. go change the propane valves in your trailer...

i'll be at tycoon's at my usual table around 8, lets talk lawncare, really.. tell sara your with me

Runner
09-17-2002, 07:58 PM
Gentlemen,
I think we can do this without the namecalling, bashing, and the the other negativity. Now, I'm with, for, and behind all of you guys, and I think we all share a common goal. Make that THE common goal. Please, let's be men about this, and not make this into a mockery of Michigan.;) Actually, truth be known, while getting started, I, myself, had to sub out my spraying while I did the granular. I then went to work for the co. that does it, and still help out as this guy is a great friend. You have to start somewhere, some people just follow different routes, I guess.

Expert Lawns
09-17-2002, 08:38 PM
two people that i know work for tgcl and they say many (not all) of their sprayers have ways to cut time on lawns. then they go home, watch tv and milk the clock the rest of the day. you praise tgcl, but if they can't figure out that employees do this, then they should wake up. don't knock the spreader method. maybe i'm not special enough to be able to brag about having a license to spray pesticide and kill bugs (notice the sarcastic monotone voice) but noone has complained yet.

sorry, i don't know where tycoons is, but if i did know and i walked in there, gauranteed i could pick you out of the crowd. nuff cut downs, sinking to your level has brought back memories of dealing with SCRUB co's.

f350
09-18-2002, 12:42 AM
well u know 2 people out of 1000's of employee's.. i know what your talking about though, i've done it. **** my first year i made 40K.. but, listen dude really if u ever need a strait from the hip guy, i'm it. fred bear can jibba jabber all he wants but i'm the real dwal. tycoons, 8 mile and hoover bro, i'm there mon-thur.. any day you want it from the hip, i'm game..where in michigan are u?
i was rather disappointed u didn't show up, maybe next time, oh ya i bet u could pick me out of a crowd

Expert Lawns
09-18-2002, 10:36 AM
north of you. near flint. thats a lot of time to be spending at tycoons. either the girls are really hot or they have great beer specials. idont make it down that far too often

Runner
09-18-2002, 11:26 AM
Whereabouts are youagain, Expert? Are you in the "Graund Blaunc" area?:D

Expert Lawns
09-18-2002, 01:03 PM
GRAUND BLAUNC township. near fenton and holly. just about as south in Genesee County as you can get. how about you Runner?

(nice touch on the pronunciation) :p

Runner
09-18-2002, 02:47 PM
Based out of the Mt. Morris-Flushing area. Live in Mt. Morris, though.

Five Star Lawn Care LLC
09-18-2002, 07:03 PM
the non- licenced applicators are like the scrubs of the mowing industry, they operate with little or no knowledge about the IPM process and what it is all about. They have no insurance to lay pesticides b/c no insurance company will insure you to do this unless you have a valid licence. Yes i agree you can make a lawn look good if you are not licenced, but what happens when you are encountered with a desised lawn and you dont know what to use, so u apply some pesticeides and that still doent work, and you let it drag on for the whole season and by the end the grass is damaged beyond repair. Its unfair to the customer when there problem could have been fixed with one pestide application if you had the right tools and knowledge about turfgrass managment

Runner
09-18-2002, 08:12 PM
I totally agree with you there. That is, when the non-licensed applicator is uneducated and not even so much as certified. More bad than good can come from that. Not knowing what to look for, misdiagnosing things, etc.. Then again, I know a few techs that work for the big green that can't even tell the difference between chinch bug damage and grub damage, let alone any sort of fungus or diseases. Fusarium what??? Brown patch??? Oh!, That's just dog urine spots!:D And, don't ever ask these guys to mix a tank! I mean a REAL tank, like with Dimension and Iron. These new hires that my friend hires from these companies are totally lost!:rolleyes: It just never ceases to amaze me! Unfortunately, I have a real, real bad feelin', that that's what's going tp happen to this industry altogether. So many people are going to get into it, and end up doing mediocre work, that many customers are just going to throw in the towel, and say To heck with it. And do it themselves, or not even do it. We DO need more MDA patrols out here!