PDA

View Full Version : explain this to me

CLARK LAWN
02-23-2011, 11:21 AM
we have a local company here (LCO) who had a major accident a few years back. i wont give to many specifics but his employee almost died and was in the hospital for over a year. from what we heard was the guy did not have worker comp coverage, believe this due to all the benefits they had to cover medical bills. well nothing ever really happened to this guy ad he has actually grown his business since this. i know people in other fields that have had major accidents, one a trucking company and one an excavating company that had major accidents and they both ended up out of business. how can this guy have benefited from this?

JB1
02-23-2011, 11:34 AM
did he change the name of the company.

CLARK LAWN
02-23-2011, 11:37 AM
did he change the name of the company.

nope. i would understand it if he did that but nobody can get it here.

CLARK LAWN
02-23-2011, 11:45 AM
BTW the accidents was 100% due to lack of maintenance of equipment on his part.

stevenf
02-23-2011, 10:39 PM
There is always a way around everything. Thats what lawyers are for, to find the loop hole. They either found something the employee did or did not do that changed the entire case.

kc2006
02-23-2011, 11:15 PM
The incident made pretty much national news, it was in a few threads on lawnsite even. OSHA came in and found there was a known fuel leak on the equipment that caused the accident.

Alan, from the people he hangs out with and stores his equipment with, its no wonder he got out of it all.

GreenI.A.
02-24-2011, 06:43 PM
was it reported as a workplace injury? thats the big difference. If the boss just told the guy to say it didn't happen at work then OSHA or any other state/fed agencies would not be involved. The owner would then be stuck paying all the medical bills plus what ever else to keep the guy from reporting it

CLARK LAWN
02-25-2011, 01:22 PM
OSHA did investigate, guy was flown to burn unit. due to what it was there was no way to say it didnt happen at work.

joshua
03-04-2011, 04:47 AM
it can be simply that everyone that works for that company is a subcontractor. so he actually wouldn't be responsible. never got the whole story on what happened but that was sad.