PDA

View Full Version : How many Dumps per charge on your trailer

4 seasons lawn&land
02-23-2011, 01:28 PM
Ive been having charging issues on my dump trailer since new. After having it worked on its up to 2 dumps per charge. It is a 7 ton. How many dumps do you get on yours?

eco.lawns
02-23-2011, 01:34 PM
I dont have a dump trailer and im not great with wiring but wouldnt there be a way to have it charging from your truck as you drive. Im thinking of how you could do it through your existing trailer wiring harness.Then it would always be ready. Anybody do this?

4 seasons lawn&land
02-23-2011, 01:42 PM
yes you can do that. Im planning on doing it with my truck but Id still like to know how much the deep cycle batt should be good for.

bobw
02-23-2011, 02:11 PM
Ive been having charging issues on my dump trailer since new. After having it worked on its up to 2 dumps per charge. It is a 7 ton. How many dumps do you get on yours?

The only guy I knew with a dump trailer got rid of it for exactly that reason. They were getting 2 dumps and then having to run jumper cables to continue working.

After one season they got rid of it and got a dump truck.

4 seasons lawn&land
02-23-2011, 02:29 PM
ya I want a truck bad

Evan528
02-23-2011, 02:44 PM
I can dump my 12ft dump trailer 3-4 times when fully loaded with mulch.... that last dump does take a bit longer.

Just bought a new Isuzu Dump and looking forward to not having to worry about how much juice I have left and if i will be able to dump!

Will still probably keep the dump trailer for spring cleanups as its much lower to load debris into than the dump truck.

GreenI.A.
02-23-2011, 05:41 PM
I have a buddy who took care of this problem. He bought the jumper cables that bolt onto the battery post and have a quick connect. These are simular to the jumper cables alot of tow companies use to that they don't have keep popping their hood. Basically one end of the cable hooks to the batery, he then ran the other end along the fram and attached it to the traler hitch mount, that end has the female plug. then the second cable attaches to the trailer battery and it's other end has a male plug which plugs right into the cable at the hitch

Junior M
02-23-2011, 05:45 PM
wow, really? it should charge from your truck.... take it a trailer place and get that fixed..

bobw
02-23-2011, 05:49 PM
wow, really? it should charge from your truck.... take it a trailer place and get that fixed..

Junior - It isn't that dump trailers aren't getting charged; its that they use a very low trickle of juice to recharge the battery through the trailer plug. If you dump the trailer a couple of times, the battery is so run down that you can't charge it fast enough for the next dump.

AdvLandscapeLLC
02-23-2011, 06:55 PM
I'll do nine full capacity dumps a day cold or warm out, I set the trailer up to charge off the truck whenever the truck is running. I run approx 350-400 cords of wood a year with the trailer and it hasnt failed me yet. it is a 7x16ft bri-mar gooseneck dump any questions shoot me a message on here.

-Mike:usflag:

4 seasons lawn&land
02-23-2011, 07:23 PM
thats great. You get that many dumps with a charge wire from the truck. Whats your turn around time?

ParkWelding
02-23-2011, 07:35 PM
I apparently have the same dump trailer as you- 2010 LoadTrail 7x14 14k.

I have gotten as little as 3 dumps and as much as 6 dumps depending on the load. I thought the battery would have stayed charged thru the plug.... Bought some wire and a high current quick connect to make a charge plug that will be able to be connected while running loads AND dumping so there will be no limit to dumps per day.

For what I do, I would never get a bigger dump truck again. At least till I needed something 33K or higher on an almost daily basis.

I had an F450 Dump, for me it was useless. Had an International 33K GVW single axle Dump, for me it was less than useless if there is such a thing.

Let me know when you want to sell the LoadTrail cheap. I'll run up 66 and grab it. LOL.

scagrider22
02-23-2011, 08:13 PM
Ive had a few dump trailers and I could dump them all day long non stop as long as it was plugged into the truck. Ive never had to charge/jump one of them and if I did I would have sold them.

4 seasons lawn&land
02-23-2011, 10:25 PM
I apparently have the same dump trailer as you- 2010 LoadTrail 7x14 14k.

I have gotten as little as 3 dumps and as much as 6 dumps depending on the load. I thought the battery would have stayed charged thru the plug.... Bought some wire and a high current quick connect to make a charge plug that will be able to be connected while running loads AND dumping so there will be no limit to dumps per day.

For what I do, I would never get a bigger dump truck again. At least till I needed something 33K or higher on an almost daily basis.

I had an F450 Dump, for me it was useless. Had an International 33K GVW single axle Dump, for me it was less than useless if there is such a thing.

Let me know when you want to sell the LoadTrail cheap. I'll run up 66 and grab it. LOL.

lol, I'll probably keep it even after I get a dump truck, worst case I get a jumper pak but my truck has no charge wire to the plug so thats first. Where did you buy your load trail? I dont see many but its the most stout 7 ton Ive seen. I like it besides the 2 dumps part.

ParkWelding
02-23-2011, 11:08 PM
Got mine from Trailers LLC in Cairo. I looked at all the others around (BigTex, BriMar, CAM, few others I forgot) and liked that one the best. I just wish it had 8 ton axles & 17.5" wheels. That would be near perfect.

Used it to pick up my Bobcat 337 in December last year. Hauled it home from Maryland just fine. Had the excavator with one bucket and the thumb in the trailer. 3 extra buckets and the doors from the trailer in my dump insert. You could say we were loaded down pretty good...

South Florida Lawns
02-23-2011, 11:29 PM
yes you can do that. Im planning on doing it with my truck but Id still like to know how much the deep cycle batt should be good for.

It all depends on what pumps and cylinders you have. I know the dumps I have used were continues and were always charged.

I would say that your pumps are slow and there for use a large amount of juice. Try upgrading that deep cell.

There's a brand that is cheap and very decent quality my brother uses them, I'll have to get the name. Don't waste time on optima yellow tops, optima sucks for the money.

igotdiesel2
02-23-2011, 11:53 PM
There is also a better battery than a deep cycle type. It is like a forklift battery. Higher capacity than any deep cycle. I put one of those on my dump trailer, rewired it with 2/0 gauge wire from ground to bat, bat to selinoid and there to pump. I have got 6 8K dumps out of mine and still had enough power to get it in the air to clean it out at the end of the day. I had mine hooked to the truck with the old battery. It kept blowing fuses in the truck so I took it off. I bought a bigger amp/hour trickle charger and installed it on the trailer. With my inverter in the truck I can charge it all inboard now. Go to a battery store, I like Interstate, they know what you should use and how to do it. -Jason

wellbuilt
02-23-2011, 11:59 PM
Guys you should get 30 /40 dumps from a trailer.
I have had a trailer sitting in the cold since New Years .
full of trash .
Every day or 2 we would drop the box to load trash , then raise it at night to keep the snow off .
We must have 3 tons in there now .
What you need to do is kill the battery dead Then charge it up full .
Then kill it again dead and give it a long slow charge .
This should either kill the battery all together or burn the crud off the lead plates so the battery will take a full charge .
You shouldn't dump the trailers with a low batteries off the truck charge wire it could blow a fuse or burn the wire up .
You should charge the battery's every few months just to keep them in good condition .
Most all of the trailers have a power plug , all you need to do is run a fused 10 gage wire from the battery . John

davidhoy.pt
02-24-2011, 06:03 AM
I have a Bri-Mar Dump Trailer that I bought used a few years ago. I found the same problem. I would start with all of your connections, make sure they are clean, protected and tight. Try heavier wire for your positive as well.

I also add a 4 gauge "Direct Charge" (with a fuse) from the battery of my truck. (You can get these supplies from an auto supply or AW Direct.) As long as you only dump the trailer with the truck running, you will never hurt the truck's battery and never run out of FAST dumping ability.

I would never trade my dump trailer for a "T-tag" size, its cheaper to own and my capacity is better than any small dump truck.

ParkWelding
02-24-2011, 06:37 AM
"We must have 3 tons in there now . "
I think we are talking about loads double that weight.

"What you need to do is kill the battery dead Then charge it up full .
This should either kill the battery all together or burn the crud off the lead plates so the battery will take a full charge ."
Sorry, I don't buy that at all for any lead acid battery. I have run my battery as dead as I feel comfortable and slow charged it with an intelligent electronic charger for weeks. It still will not dump more than 4 or 5 full capacity loads-5 to 6 tons.

" You shouldn't dump the trailers with a low batteries off the truck charge wire it could blow a fuse or burn the wire up ."
If you have done your wiring properly this is not an issue and the trailer battery will never be low. Unless you're referring to the charge wire in the trailer harness. Than I completely agree.

" You should charge the battery's every few months just to keep them in good condition ."
The Load Trail trailers both 4 seasons and I have come with electronic chargers that can be left unattended for long periods to keep the battery at full charge.

ParkWelding
02-24-2011, 06:43 AM
There is also a better battery than a deep cycle type. It is like a forklift battery. Higher capacity than any deep cycle. I put one of those on my dump trailer, rewired it with 2/0 gauge wire from ground to bat, bat to selinoid and there to pump. I have got 6 8K dumps out of mine and still had enough power to get it in the air to clean it out at the end of the day. I had mine hooked to the truck with the old battery. It kept blowing fuses in the truck so I took it off. I bought a bigger amp/hour trickle charger and installed it on the trailer. With my inverter in the truck I can charge it all inboard now. Go to a battery store, I like Interstate, they know what you should use and how to do it. -Jason

The battery that came in my trailer is an Interstate. It is wired with appropriate size cabling for the job. I can for sure get 6 8K dumps out of it. But for sure can't get 6 14K dumps out of it. If I were to forego the charging cable from my trucks pair of batteries to the dump trailer, I would definitely look into industrial batteries for the dump trailer.

Chop Stuff Up
02-24-2011, 06:47 AM
You probably aren't interested or close enough but I'm selling a new Deka 8A8D deep cycle battery for $300, it's a $600 battery. 1,450 cold cranking amps. It weighs 160lbs lol.

brianslawncare
02-24-2011, 08:18 AM
i think they sell something like that for people hauling boats. look into basspro,cabelas or gander mountain. im not 100% but i think it goes from youre alltenator to the battery on youre trailer. also i know harbor freight sells a solar charger, you might be abel to mount that to the trailer. or get a new battery and keep a spare with u.

AdvLandscapeLLC
02-24-2011, 08:31 AM
i ran mine into the charge terminal in the trailer harness and have had no problems or complaints in 2 years, every couple months i'll top off the battery on the charger just for good measure.:usflag:

4 seasons lawn&land
02-24-2011, 08:57 AM
The battery that came in my trailer is an Interstate. It is wired with appropriate size cabling for the job. I can for sure get 6 8K dumps out of it. But for sure can't get 6 14K dumps out of it. If I were to forego the charging cable from my trucks pair of batteries to the dump trailer, I would definitely look into industrial batteries for the dump trailer.

I cant get 3 empty dumps out of mine. If you dont have yours hooked up to the truck and charge it up through the plug, how many empty dumps right in a row without a break can you get?
I got mine in Cairo too. Last year the guy at bonded in Averil Park overloaded with crusher. It did fine, the truck on the other hand, not so much, I wont do that again:)

ParkWelding
02-24-2011, 03:56 PM
I don't know how many empty dumps I would get on a full charge. Probably a minimum of 10 up and down cycles. Full dumps probably 5 in a row would be tops now. Less on overloaded trips. Seems like the power down takes a lot more juice than I would have thought.

I got a stout load of crusher at Bonded that the guy loaded right up the back doors. There was 5.5ton and I could just see the joint between the bed floor and front of the trailer. Talk about no tongue weight. Luckily I only had to go about 2 miles. I try not to go there for material when possible. Especially if you're looking for clean stone. The pit Rifenburgh runs just around the corner on RT150 seems to have nicer material.

4 seasons lawn&land
02-24-2011, 04:29 PM
isnt that huffys on 150 or is there another one?

ParkWelding
02-24-2011, 05:25 PM
Thats the one. I think some people still call it Hoffay's pit. I don't really know what it is.

wellbuilt
02-24-2011, 11:05 PM
"We must have 3 tons in there now . "
I think we are talking about loads double that weight.

I have 2 12000lb and one 10000lb dump
The 12000lb trailers will dump more weight but that is what ive been doing since New Years .
"What you need to do is kill the battery dead Then charge it up full .
This should either kill the battery all together or burn the crud off the lead plates so the battery will take a full charge ."
Sorry, I don't buy that at all for any lead acid battery. I have run my battery as dead as I feel comfortable and slow charged it with an intelligent electronic charger for weeks. It still will not dump more than 4 or 5 full capacity loads-5 to 6 tons.

To equalize a LA battery you must first kill it Dead . (Batteries dont get Comfortable )
Then give it a hot equalizing charge 14.6 volts i think .( May be your intelligent charger has a equalizer setting )

Slow charging for weeks is no good Just charge it till its topped off then unplug it .
Im sure i can dump with 5 ton the weight doesn't really make a big difference to the trailer? I load my trailer with a track hoe and pull it to the dump site dump with out a power hook up . Way more then 5 or 6 times never counted .

" You shouldn't dump the trailers with a low batteries off the truck charge wire it could blow a fuse or burn the wire up ."
If you have done your wiring properly this is not an issue and the trailer battery will never be low. Unless you're referring to the charge wire in the trailer harness. Than I completely agree.

If your batteries are low and try to dump your trailer you don't hurt the battery you will heat up the pump motor and you could cook the pump motor for lack of voltage .
Running 12 volt from a truck battery to the trailer is like a 25' run +- 12 volt takes a huge voltage drop and you would need battery cables to deliver enough power .

" You should charge the battery's every few months just to keep them in good condition ."
The Load Trail trailers both 4 seasons and I have come with electronic chargers that can be left unattended for long periods to keep the battery at full charge.
Keeping a battery on trickle causes the lead plats to crud up and cuts capacity of your battery . You should run full charge to half charge.
John

ParkWelding
02-25-2011, 04:15 PM
Its not trickle. Its an automatic electronic battery charger that does what its supposed to do.

Travis E
03-01-2011, 09:26 PM
Whats the best way to enable charging through the truck? I have a pj dump with a 08 super duty.

scagrider22
03-01-2011, 09:31 PM
Whats the best way to enable charging through the truck? I have a pj dump with a 08 super duty.

LOL, unplug it. Or you could install a battery kill switch.

Travis E
03-01-2011, 09:39 PM
ok? I mean to charge the battery on the dump trailer from the truck while i have the trailer hooked up.

scagrider22
03-01-2011, 09:49 PM
ok? I mean to charge the battery on the dump trailer from the truck while i have the trailer hooked up.

Im not sure it should have came wired that way, Ive had three dump trailers and they all charged while they were plugged into the truck.

Travis E
03-01-2011, 09:54 PM
Mine does not and i havn't found any info on a way to besides running a seperate power wire kinda like you would for a snow plow.

scagrider22
03-01-2011, 10:04 PM
I would assume you could run a power wire from the trailer battery to the power lead in your 7 way plug. I would call the manufacturer and ask them or even the dealer you bought it from.

Travis E
03-01-2011, 10:05 PM
So the Center prong on the 7 way plug?

Oasis-Outdoor
03-03-2011, 10:13 AM
It varies with different conditions, but I can get about 6 cycles (power up, power down) out of the battery, between charges. Mine is supposed to be equipped with a "charge" wire that feeds to the trailer through the wiring harness, but I don't think it works. I have a Load Trail dump trailer. My only complaint with the trailer is the wiring. It was extremely shoddy from new. I put a Schumaker trickle charger on the deep cycle battery when I am not using the trailer. I also carry a battery booster box, in case of a dead battery on the tow vehicle or trailer. Hope this helps.

PonyExpress94
03-03-2011, 04:16 PM
Mine does not and i havn't found any info on a way to besides running a seperate power wire kinda like you would for a snow plow.

Start your truck's engine and leave it running in Park with all head/park/tail/turn signals turned off. Now, using a multi-meter test for voltage at the terminals inside the 7-RV plug at the back bumper. You should have one terminal that will produce 12 volts when testing from the ground terminal to the other terminal. Also note most Fords have the circuit functions molded on the 7-RV plug cover which will help you locate which terminal is the ground helping you test the other 6 terminals.

Now take the tester and place one probe in the terminal on the trailer's cord that corresponds to the terminal on your truck that produced 12 volts. With the multi meter set on the continuity tester setting, use the other meter probe touched to each wire in the trailer cord junction box until you hear a beep. When you hear a beep you have found the wire in the junction box that will provide constant 12 volt power to your trailer WHILE THE TRUCK ENGINE IS RUNNING.

If you connect a piece of 12 or 14 gauge wire from that trailer cord circuit to the battery's positive terminal with a 20 amp inline fuse you will have a charging current that will recharge your dump trailer battery. The inline fuse is necessary to prevent drawing power from the trucks circuit if the battery is discharged and damaging the trucks wiring. If that fuse pops repeatedly then it is usually a good indicator that your battery is no longer holding a charge and should be checked/replaced.

Hope this helps.

In repsonse to the OP's question. My Bri-Mar 6x10 10,000 GVW dump trailer ran 15 8,000 lbs loads of dirt over the course of 2 days and not once did the trailer run low on battery charge. Round trip between dumps was 1 hour (including loading and tarping) and the trailer has a gravity down cylinder not power down. I can get 5 or 6 loads of moist top soil dumped when towing the trailerf with my 33 hp New Holland tractor before I have to recharge the battery. I originally had a standard Marine lead acid battery but switched to an Optima Blue Top Marine dual purpose battery and love the capacity of the blue top and it's ability to recharge on a low amp circuit fed from the truck as described above.

Oasis-Outdoor
03-03-2011, 08:24 PM
PonyExpress:

Thank You very much for your info. for everyone.....it is good information and greatly appreciated!

cms289
03-12-2011, 02:45 PM
Not sure about all of them, but does it not get voltage from 12 volt on the trailer wire???? the same one that charges the electric brake break away battery???? I know my GMC with the factory tow package had no power to the plug from the dealer, found out you have to put in a fuse for that as it is not set up from the factory. not sure why, but it drove me nuts. Once I put in the fuse, bag, voltage and the batteries stay charged. I would check and see if that is they way it should work for you too. I do not currently have a dump trailer, and the one I use from time to time is not a factory type, and is a little... well, set up by an idiot. I would assume a factory setup would charge the deep cells automatic. I now it did on my old race trailer, and on the one I am building now it will. I know you have an anti drain on the break away bat, but other than that it is easy. I think the factory set up is good upto 40 amps, so that would recharge quickly driving around!!!!

Just a thought, let me know if that was it. I wonder if the the 2500 has the fuse from the factory, the 1500hd did not!

cms289
03-12-2011, 03:23 PM
Ok, just went out to look at it. On the driver side, remove the fuse cover. as you stand facing the driver side front tire with the hood open it will be directly in front of you. The fuse on the upper portion, stud #1*. It should have a redish dummy fuse in the spot with a B+ on it. Remove it and place in a 30 or 40 amp fuse like the 10 or so there. then, BAM, you have 12 volt power to the trailer, I bet it will recharge your batt... Try it, worst case 5 dollar fuse and no change!!! let us know if this helped, want to know if dump trailers will recharge this way!!!!

pro-interlock
03-13-2011, 12:16 AM
I have 6.5 x 12 utility dump trailer and it takes power from the truck during dumping so far in 3 dump trailers I have to replace the battery about once every 2 years.

justanotherlawnguy
03-13-2011, 12:58 AM
I havent read all posts yet:

I have 14 foot 14k dump and was getting 2 dumps per charge. Got a new battery last year and now get 6-7 per charge.
Posted via Mobile Device

Great White Services
03-20-2011, 06:40 PM
I've had mine for about 6 years now and NEVER had any issues or problems with mine. Usually I only do 1 or 2 loads per day when I use my dumper but when I was hauling gravel with it for a buddy of mine I did 3 LARGE loads for him and my trailer worked everytime !!! Pretty hard grunt for the first foot and a half then she just powered up and pushed up with no issues. My trailer battery "trickle" charges off my truck and keeps it from going dead. Even in the winter it works good. As a matter of fact, I am still on my original battery and tires. Just this year, one weld broke on the lid to the hydrolics, and she gets a little rusty (but not bad) every spring. I just go around with a wire brush and knock all the loose paint off and touch it up with "rust" paint. It's a 5X10 tantem axle, that I put 2 foot sides on. Perfect size to get into tight areas yet big enough to haul a decent load with. Also works great for haulin firewood too!!!
Still the BEST thing I ever bought for my small company. I still get people talking to me at the dump EVERY time I use it !!! By the way, it's a PJ trailer.

bengaginc
03-20-2011, 07:38 PM
aounds like you need a new battery

trailbuilder
04-03-2011, 05:57 PM
We haul 4 face cord of firewood per load and we haul 10-12 loads before we charge with our Briar mar 10,000 GVW bumper pull. We have the largest battery that fits.