PDA

View Full Version : would make a good advertisment

tnmtn
02-23-2011, 02:32 PM
i have never seen this being done before but thought it would be great for an add campaign. yesterday the truck was towing 8 railcars today 3. maybe this is common but just new to me. kind of raises the bar on what did you tow today.

bobcat_ron
02-23-2011, 04:19 PM
There also used to be a rail system that had the truck trailers right on the rails and they would just swap off the rail wheels, but now the inter modal sea can system has taken over.
Posted via Mobile Device

wanabe
02-23-2011, 05:12 PM
That looks like a truck that was made by Brandt. They have a drawbar, nuckle, and hose with a glad hand just like the loco's do. The cars are ballast cars, so im sure they were working in that area and needed to dump some rock.

GWhunter
02-23-2011, 06:07 PM
Those cars have to be empty, the drive motors for the rail to road trucks are either hydro or just guide wheel with the rubber tires contacting the rails. That is a really cool site to see.

Matt

93turbo
02-23-2011, 07:44 PM
Those cars have to be empty, the drive motors for the rail to road trucks are either hydro or just guide wheel with the rubber tires contacting the rails. That is a really cool site to see.

Matt

So what are you thinking rubber on steel gets less traction then steel on steel:rolleyes:Besides its not like hes towing up a 6% grade or something:laugh:

bobcat_ron
02-23-2011, 07:52 PM
It doesn't take much to get a hundred tons of weight moving on steel rails.
Posted via Mobile Device

tailboardtech
02-23-2011, 08:29 PM
It doesn't take much to get a hundred tons of weight moving on steel rails.
Posted via Mobile Device

but it takes a lot to get them stopped, i seen a pickup pulling a flat car that was a site. i watched a cat 930 wheel loader going up the tracks (Amtrak) last week that was weird

alco
02-24-2011, 11:00 AM
It sure looks like a Brandt Road Railer to me. One of the older ones that was built on a Western Star chassis instead of the Peterbilt chassis they are using now.

They were developed initially for farmer co-ops that had bought up the branch lines the railroads were casting off or abandoning. The thinking behind them, is that instead of needing a locomotive, one of these units can move the small number of grain cars on a line, then easily and quickly drive to the next spot cars need to be moved, saving a ton of time and money. That way, the farmers still had rail service available to them, instead of having to truck everything farther to get it to a rail terminal.....and cheaper shipping.

bearmtnmartin
02-25-2011, 12:12 PM
I used to work for the railway with my backhoe. They would get me to partially deflate my tires and drive down the tracks. I put my bucket down and used the wheel brakes to steer. The guy who does it now has a set of rail wheels he clams up to guide him along.

I would take a book along because I would work maybe an hour out of 8. Lazy sods. The only time I ever really broke a sweat was when a coal train hit 4 horses that had got out of a field. You would be amazed at just how many pieces a horse can be cut into by a train. lol. A lot of shovel work.

hvy 1ton
02-25-2011, 04:40 PM

Matt

The drive motor is the ISX up front. :laugh: The road wheels are just to keep it on the the tracks. All three back axles drive with super singles because duals don't work so hot. In fact, I was under the impression that they didn't work at all until i saw a F350 dually high railer in Unstoppable. The heli pilots in that movie were nuts.

bobcat_ron
02-25-2011, 07:42 PM
The only time I ever really broke a sweat was when a coal train hit 4 horses that had got out of a field. You would be amazed at just how many pieces a horse can be cut into by a train. lol. A lot of shovel work.

That's awesome. :laugh:

The Iron Horse meets the meat horse. :cool2: