PDA

View Full Version : Who has a QR code for their business? It stands for "Quick response"

tradeyouraccounts
02-24-2011, 01:34 AM
Who has a QR code for their business? It stands for "Quick response" They started back in Japan in the mid 90s and are becoming more common for businesses to use now, is anybody using one? I just got one generated. You just need to use your camera phone with the QR code reader to scan it for the info on the code. I got the free code generated with AT&T and the code reader app.

Brodie
02-24-2011, 04:12 AM
I have seen this on a couple of thing that I have purchased but never really knew what it was or how it worked.

How does it work?

What sort of application does it have for the lawn mowing industry. How could we use this technology.

Im always interested in new technologies, especially if it will make things easier and quicker?

tradeyouraccounts
02-25-2011, 12:53 PM
Its a code that can be generated for free using various software and then can either have your website embedded in the link or your business contact details. The when someone scans it with their camera phone using code reader software it gives you the details within the code. ATT do a free code creation and have free reader software. Its new at the moment here but well established in Japan where it started out.

Lefet
02-25-2011, 12:57 PM
How or why or what would someone scan to get this information. I am completely clueless as to how this will help. Pardon my ignorance.

tradeyouraccounts
02-25-2011, 01:51 PM
Im new to the concept of it as well but theres talk that it will become more popular in the states this year. Microsoft is developing systems for its use and it was invented by s subsidiary of Toyota over 10 years ago. apparently it can save time as suppliers and retailers can create a code and users can scan it with their phones and get all the information on a product, direct you to a businesses web page or automatically create a contact in your phones address book without having to type in all the details and they can have a business phone number automatically dialed by scanning it. Google QR codes theres a ton of info on it.

grass-scapes
02-25-2011, 05:30 PM
Here is what its supposed to actually do.
Take your android phone or your Iphone and get a barcode scanner free. Open it up and scan the barcode here.

BAM. It takes you to a website.
Now, Imagine having that code on your advertising. say you advertise on those boards above the toilets in bars. someone, using their Iphone can now have a way to contact you when they get sober.

You can put many different types of info into it. A phone number would work well too, since most scanners are on phones. With the proliferation of Iphones and Android based phones, having a QR code in your advertising makes good sense.

tradeyouraccounts
02-25-2011, 06:02 PM
Im just looking at your site now after scanning the code it worked well!!

Lefet
02-27-2011, 06:18 PM
Okay I downloaded a reader to my phone then scanned your code.
Have to say, I'm impressed!!
How else can you get a code for yourself and where do you keep it? How do you transfer it to where you want it?

castlerockmo
02-27-2011, 06:24 PM
Is this kinda like husqvarnas add in I think it was turf( or lawn and landscape)? if it is its pretty cool, took a pic and then went right to a page about the P-zt!
Posted via Mobile Device

tradeyouraccounts
02-28-2011, 05:31 PM
Okay I downloaded a reader to my phone then scanned your code.
Have to say, I'm impressed!!
How else can you get a code for yourself and where do you keep it? How do you transfer it to where you want it?

I got my code from ATT's website but if your not with them heres another http://qrcode.kaywa.com/ you then save the image to your computer and transfer.

Lefet
02-28-2011, 05:34 PM
I got my code from ATT's website but if your not with them heres another http://qrcode.kaywa.com/ you then save the image to your computer and transfer.

Thanks!!! :cool2:

grass-scapes
02-28-2011, 07:16 PM
Ive done mine with a vcard...a website....a phone number. I figured that I would put the vcard on my next ad and when they scan it, it adds me to their contact list on their phone.

Loriena
03-04-2011, 09:25 AM
We are putting qr codes on our enclosed trailers this spring--the code will direct to a video on youtube where I give a personal introduction/greeting and an overview of services we offer. At the end will of course be our contact information.

I did a bit of research on qr codes and found that the industry that seems to be using them the most is Realtors...lots of tips that can cross over to us easily.

A great website to use when generating them is QRJumps.com this site allows you to create a code that can be displayed somewhere that is more permantent (trailer, yard signs, shirts, etc.) where you may want to change the landing page...w/o recreating a qrcode and having to republish/print new shirts/signs/trailer lettering.

This is a good idea--because at certain times of the year I may change my youtube video to highlight a seasonal service. Or, if the code is on a sign I may want to highlight THAT specific project showing before/after photos to them, etc. Then, the next time I post that sign in a different yard I can have a different url associated with the same qr w/o having to reprint/throw away signs.

I'm new at this too...but if you use qr codes you will be standing out ahead of the majority of landscape companies and for sure will be noticed. Just do a little research first to avoid stupid mistakes... like, if you put a qr code on your business card, dont link the qr code to the contact information page of your website...they have this information in their hand already--give the person a tour of past projects in the photogallary of the website instead.

shade tree landscaping
03-04-2011, 10:36 AM
now if you put it on an enclosed trailer, obviously your going to make the image of the qr code larger,does that effect it in anyway?

Loriena
03-04-2011, 10:58 AM
no. the code can be enlarged w/o problem. When in Austin TX this winter I saw that one realtor in town had signs posted (traditional) for the house that was for sale. Right below it on about a 24" x 24" yard sign was a QRcode. I did not have a reader on my phone at the time, but I imagine when scanned it took me to a virtual tour of that house, and maybe a few others he/she had for sale in the area. Pretty cool, eh?