PDA

View Full Version : Help deciding on new WB Hydro

Jimbo
09-13-2002, 12:31 AM
Well I have lots of extra money in the Biz checking account and I have been thinking of updating some equipment. Heres what I currently have.

22" Push mower
36" WB Belt drive
52" ZTR

I want to upgrade to a Hydro WB, but I am unsure what size I want. I currently only have one property with a gate that is less than 38" wide. The rest are all big enough to get the Z on but I dont always us it on them.

Think I should go 48" or stick with the 36"? If there are any reasons you feel a certian way I would like to know.

I guess that Hustler gatemaster isnt going to be ready in time or I would probably buy that. Oh well.

Jim

LAWNGODFATHER
09-13-2002, 12:38 AM
Exmark Turf Tracer 52"

Same width and pattern as your ZTR.

Same blades, same spindles, etc......

How many guys you got working?

Why not take in the gates?

Scag48
09-13-2002, 12:47 AM
You've already got a 36", go for a 52" Exmark Turf Tracer. I love my 36" and have used a 52" a little bit. Exmark is probably your best bet. Good luck.

Scotlawncare
09-13-2002, 12:52 AM
get the 52 turf tracer. same blades on all three mowers. 48 is not bad to have but keep it simple as far as blades go. don't get a hydro 36. waste of money with occasional use. stick to the 52.

Scot

Jimbo
09-13-2002, 01:03 AM
Thanks guys...... some more info.

Just me mowing at the moment but I want to be prepared if I need help in the future.

The 36" belt drive is going to be traded in on whatever I buy. Thats why I am having a hard time deciding. I already have one account that I can only do with a small machine. That being said I am not going to buy a $4000.00 mower for one account.

Oh yeah, I also use the 36" at my own home.

Jim

marley
09-13-2002, 01:04 AM
YOU MIGHT TRY A EXMARK HYDRO VIKING, SUPER TUFF!!

LAWNGODFATHER
09-13-2002, 01:11 AM
I don't know your whole situation, but why don't you use the ZTR in that backs that it will fit in?

On the one you can use the push mower.

What I see is being solo you will be using the Wb more and the ZTR would be sitting on the trailer because you will use the wb for the backs, then you will have to switch mowers to do the back, so you might as well use the 52" Wb on the whole lawn.

Why a Wb in the first place? You said your ZTR wil fitt in all but one?

Jimbo
09-13-2002, 01:25 AM
LGF-

I started with the WB, and it comes in handy when I need to Bag, so I think it is good to have.

About using the Z on the backs... Several of my properties either have steep off chamber hills (with chain link fences at the bottoms) or lots of tight spots, and the Z does not like them to much. Lots of tire spin and damaged turf because of the extra weight too.

Oh yeah...The one child care center has several gates and it is a pain in the rear getting off the Z to open and shut gates so I find myself using the WB, but not all the time.

Jim

TJLC
09-13-2002, 08:47 AM
I have both a 2001 Exmark 52" hp, 23 Kohler and a Viking hydro 48, 18 Kohler" with a steerable sulky. I find myself using the w/b far more than the Z. I thought I would use the Z more but with the w/b and sulky combo I can do anything that the Z can do. So now I find that one machine is all I really needed after all. I'm now in the process of trying to sell the Z and buy a second w/b, probally a TTHP 48". I know this will seem insane to some here that I choose a w/b with sulky over a Z but for my paticular situation this works best. As far as hydro over belt, I have owned both and prefer the hydro hands down for ease of use. Good luck.

Doc Pete
09-13-2002, 12:40 PM
I'd think about a 48 with a velky/sulky/hulky/ bulky or what floats your boat;) . Second, it's a no brainer to go with something without pistol grips. Naturally, the Hustler has the best system. Also, the 48 Hustler with 17kaw, will pull you along just fine. I have many lawns where a 48 is actually faster than a rider. As far as the one lawn with a gate, either drop the lawn, get the person to put in a bigger gate( which I've had people do), or just keep the 36 for that one/two lawns.
Finally, the Hustler is just much faster than any pistol grip machine, and that's why I'd go for it.
Pete

John Gamba
09-13-2002, 02:18 PM
2002 Turf tracer 23 Kohler 52 ultracut deck. Look at all The options On there web.
John

HarryD
09-13-2002, 05:35 PM
i myself like the pistol grip type mowers . one reason i have popeye forearms :D
just called local dealer today loooking into a turf tracer 52" with a 2001 power unit with pistol grips and a 2002 deck all new for about a 1k less then the 2002 ecs system power unit

TLS
09-13-2002, 05:45 PM
A 48" walkbehind is SHORTER in overall length than a 32/36". I'd talk that ONE yard with a small gate into installing a larger gate. Tell them it'll save money in the long run.

A 48" is a nice size, however, when you go to a 52" machine, your HORSEPOWER choices really soar! With some 48" mowers, your limited to 15hp, jump for that extra 4" and go up to 23hp!! It doesn't make ANY sense, but...

rodfather
09-13-2002, 06:29 PM
Check out Ferris before you buy anything...I think they are the most reliable WBs available...and we have been using many of them for the past 8 years.

I believe the hydro pumps themself have either a 4 or 5 year guarantee.

lawnworker
09-13-2002, 08:32 PM
I would get a 48 turf tracer, becouse you have a 52 already for bigger jobs. Alot of gates are 48" , plus the free play to make the gate swing , so a 48 fits through real nice. Good luck with whatever you buy, later now.

Doc Pete
09-13-2002, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by HarryD
i myself like the pistol grip type mowers . one reason i have popeye forearms :D
just called local dealer today loooking into a turf tracer 52" with a 2001 power unit with pistol grips and a 2002 deck all new for about a 1k less then the 2002 ecs system power unit

Since I sound like a broken record, I won't bother to say anything other regardless of how soft they are it's the control system and not the hardness of the grips. But then guy's still talk about pistol grips...... their loss............what a shame......
Pete

Flex-Deck
09-13-2002, 09:20 PM
Jimbo - eXmark, Hustler whatever - Just get something with the biggest engine you can get, and add the Flex-Deck for another 18" of trimming and contour mowing excellence. 36" WB + Flex-Deck =54" mower - fold up the Flex-Deck and it only adds 2" = 38" thru gates.

Get the 52" with the 23 HP engine and you now have a 70" trimming monster mower.

Thanks, Brad - PS It has got to be Hydro to appreciate the benefits of the Flex-Deck.http://52X-Along Landscape

bubble boy
09-13-2002, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by rodfather
Check out Ferris before you buy anything...I think they are the most reliable WBs available...and we have been using many of them for the past 8 years.

I believe the hydro pumps themself have either a 4 or 5 year guarantee.

and if you don't need to do true zero turns, a ferris Single Drive hydro will save you $

LAWNGODFATHER
09-13-2002, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Switchless@aol,com
Hustler is just much faster than any pistol grip machine, and that's why I'd go for it.
Pete

I don't think so!!

First you say you can't use a ZTR, then you buy a home owner model, then you say Hustler messed up the design of their Walk Behinds, now you say you can out run and out manuver a pistol grip, T-Bar, or ECS machine. Also you said you mower doesn't have enough Horsepower. I know I left much more out.

Now we are starting to figure out what is wrong with you, wish you would make up your mind.

BRING IT ON!!!!

Doc Pete
09-13-2002, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by LAWNGODFATHER
I don't think so!!
First you say you can't use a ZTR, then you buy a home owner model, then you say Hustler messed up the design of their Walk Behinds, now you say you can out run and out manuver a pistol grip, T-Bar, or ECS machine. Also you said you mower doesn't have enough Horsepower. I know I left much more out.
Now we are starting to figure out what is wrong with you, wish you would make up your mind.
BRING IT ON!!!!

Damn, it nice to know I'm so important. Glad I make for interesting reading.........OH, just a little secret, both you and Brad are trying "way" too hard........
Pete

LAWNGODFATHER
09-13-2002, 11:27 PM
Hey if you want to bring Flex-Deck into this, I will smoke you with the mower pictured. Before it was just with a run of the mill 23hp Turf Tracer, now it is a run of the mill 22hp Turf Tracer with a Flex-Deck.

Who's got lawns half way between me and him.

I heard a challange!!!!!!!! Don't be scared.:D BRING IT ON.

Was your prior Lawnsite name GaryLA?

Flex-Deck
09-13-2002, 11:31 PM
Switchless - I don't think anyone tries to sell a product on this forum any harder than you push Hustler - Don't get me wrong - Hustler makes a great product, and in fact it is one of the most Flex-Deck ready machines on the market due to the deck skirt following the blade -

In fact am talking to a Hustler rep about putting the Flex-Deck on.

So calm down and maybe go reread some of your own posts as to being very confident and trusting of one brand which in your case is Husler, and I would think they are very happy about that fact.

I am a JD tractor fan, and there is room for a lot of different bias and or confidence in different mowers. There are a lot of good mowers out there and we all need different things to fit our operations.

I push what I run, and what I know does what I need it to do, and I am just like you - I think everyone should have the same thing.

Thanks, Bradhttp://52X-Between Tree House Legs

Doc Pete
09-13-2002, 11:39 PM
Hey if you want to bring Flex-Deck into this, I will smoke you with the mower pictured. Before it was just with a run of the mill 23hp Turf Tracer, now it is a run of the mill 22hp Turf Tracer with a Flex-Deck.

Was your prior Lawnsite name GaryLA?

You gonna walk behind it???? Hey, it's nice to see you've got some hp behind that thing. What size is the deck???? Is it a 48 or 52??? And, what happend to the 14/48 and 17/52???

mowerconsultant
09-13-2002, 11:40 PM

Columbus Ohio is about halfway, and easy to get to.
I am in that area a lot, and would like to witness any competition between the two of you......lol
I could arrange some demo areas.

Later
Pj

LAWNGODFATHER
09-13-2002, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Switchless@aol.com

You gonna walk behind it???? Hey, it's nice to see you've got some hp behind that thing. What size is the deck???? Is it a 48 or 52??? And, what happend to the 14/48 and 17/52???

I've got one of these; velky/sulky/hulky/ bulky or what floats your boat.

Only you were saying 14/48 and 17/52.

That is a Turf Tracer 52" 22hp

PJ nothing against Hustler just ****less, and his poorly designed (he said) modified Hustler Wb that goes 10mph.

This still reminds me of GaryLA and his 11mph Ferris's.

Are you up for this????? I could make it a 2 fer for me I have to be north of where Pj said to oick up a truck I bought.

Doc Pete
09-13-2002, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by mowerconsultant

Columbus Ohio is about halfway, and easy to get to.
I am in that area a lot, and would like to witness any competition between the two of you......lol
I could arrange some demo areas.
Later
Pj

Will my "Workers Comp." cover me if I get hurt racing????:D :D
Pete

Doc Pete
09-14-2002, 12:05 AM

PJ nothing against Hustler just ****less, and his poorly designed (he said) modified Hustler Wb that goes 10mph.

If you want to play, you've gotta pay attention........I've never said the Hustler is poorly designed. In fact I've said it's "ahead of whatever is in second place." However, just because something is good is no reason to sit back and become complacent? The Hustler is the better control system period. Sure, you can play with your pistol grips and ECS (bent pistol grips), T bar, and the Wright double levers. However, the Hustler system is just plain better, right from the get go. Everything is automatic and symmetrical. So, if you and PJ want to “interpret” my words as “poor design”, be my guest. And, if a tire change, which should actually add a cost “reduction”, with results yielding a better cut, faster speeds plus less turn marring, is bad mouthing a company, then so be it.
Petey …… not that other guy……

Doc Pete
09-14-2002, 12:24 AM
And ya know, this just isn't worth...... I've been attempting to offer some honest helpful information. It just ain't my time...... Have a nice day guy's............This is just too much effort for deaf ears..........

roscioli
09-14-2002, 12:25 AM
Swithless sounds like lawnboy82!! :) JK, dont freak. LGF- how did you lose that 1 HP when adding the FD? :) Sorry, I am just in a funny mood tonight, got out of my other job early and am still wired. What a useless post, huh?

John Gamba
09-14-2002, 10:16 AM
Let's Play nice. they are just mowers. And they all do the same thing.

Scag48
09-14-2002, 01:15 PM
switchless-I wouldn't say that Hustler has the best system out there, Exmark does. I read a post on here that said that they were a little goofy and couldn't get it track right or something. But, for a majority vote, I'd say that Exmark has it.

lawnkid
09-14-2002, 01:33 PM
I would look at the Scag line of hydros too. If you don't like them, then I woiuls agree with the Turf Tracer or a Bunton/Bobcat mower. These are all excellent machines but Scag is kinda goin down with everyone but I'll be a Scagmna forever.

LAWNGODFATHER
09-14-2002, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by roscioli
LGF- how did you lose that 1 HP when adding the FD? :)

Model year change. Kohler went up a HP from 22hp to 23hp.

The FD is on one of the older mowers.

LAWNGODFATHER
09-14-2002, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Switchless@aol.com
I realize everyone's still stuck in 1966, but my Hustler WB can cut at about 10 mph, and 6/8 mph is it's normal pace. Plus, it turns faster and is more maneuverable than those "K" turning Z's
Yes, it's not stock, but that's not my fault. Just beause the people at Hustler can't get it right, doesn't we have to settle for it.
Pete

clean green
09-14-2002, 10:51 PM
WHY would you buy a 48" when you have the rider? Get a 36" hydro to get through the gets and use the rider whenever possible. GOOD LUCK!!

Jimbo
09-14-2002, 11:20 PM
Yeah that is what I thought and I figured more people would have had the same recommendation.

Since I have the 52" ZTR to use on open properties I could buy a 36" Hydro Wb for my property and any other properties that have small gates.

The only disadvantage that I see in buying a 36" WB is if I need back-up in case the ZTR is out of commision. If the ZTR is in the shop the 36" is going to take a long time to do the same job.

Jim

P.S. As you can see from my original post I did not include any MFG names. From what this post has turned into you now know why.

Ford, Chevy, Ford, Chevy......Hustler, Exmark, Huslter, Exmark Blah, Blah, Blah.
most of these mowers use the same friggen components. Do you think Exmark, and Hustler make bearings, and Hydro pumps? Grow-up, and if your machine is so damn good keep it to yourself and you should own your piece of the market, and be pulling in a quarter Mil per year in no time-right.
In less of course your pushing product for an MFG, then keep right on hyping it up. Im sick of this Bull-Sh**

Flex-Deck
09-14-2002, 11:46 PM
Jimbo - your right - lots of good machines out there - but you may want to consider the Flex-Deck on that 36" WB backup - to make it 54" cut with the ability to get thru the gateshttp://36X

Jimbo
09-15-2002, 12:16 AM
Your right Brad. I was going to post that but I am still not into cutting up my new machine.
I want a turn key system or all the components and diagrams designed for the exact machine I buy. I dont think you are to that point yet are you?

Like someone said in another post; I cant take the risk of voiding warranty on a $4000.00+ dollar machine due to installing a Flex-Deck.
You need to hook-up with a MFG and try to get factory support.
You do have a good idea!

Jim

LAWNGODFATHER
09-15-2002, 01:07 AM
You wont void the warrenty buy adding the Flex-Deck on the enirie machine. Just the deck, and I think FD picks up where the warrenty does not by adding it. It has to be due to the Flex-Deck to make a claim, but in the long run, the bracket makes the deck even stronger than the factory designed it.

Trust me I had some guys run into some solid stuf with it, and not even faze the mower or FD.

Jimbo
09-15-2002, 03:53 PM
Thanks LGF...I wasnt aware of the Warranty stuff you mention. What about the fit-up for different machines though?

Jim

Flex-Deck
09-15-2002, 09:33 PM
Jimbo - Different machines can be discussed over the phone with me - I only need a few measurements to tell you if it will work - I have worked with people as th where they get on a cell phone of wireless phone in thier house, put the mower in the garage, and we just do the measurements.

By the way - I now have a pdf file on my web page that is an example mounting manual - you may not have to cut out as many things as it shows, but it should give you a general idea.

www.flex-deck.com - Hit the button on the home page that is about 1/3 of the way down about a mounting manual.

Thanks, Bradhttp://36X