PDA

View Full Version : Bark blowing - $300 for 3 yards?

c.hutton
02-24-2011, 01:25 PM
Hey, im just getting a little bark blowing business started and was wondering if i am realistic with my pricing. I have made up flyers and have a spring special of 3 yards composted bark blown in for $300. I can haul about 8 yards at a time so i can do a few jobs in one go. let me know what you think.

ron mexico75
02-24-2011, 01:38 PM
Who will only need 3 yards? That's very little mulch isn't it?

$100 dollars per yard........maybe in Beverly Hills.

XLS
02-24-2011, 01:48 PM
what most guys doing when blowing around here is their old install rate plus $75.00 a load and the time savings makes them the money but its all up to you i would say its closer to $250 for 3 yards

Ron most every job we do is a 3 yard or less mulching.

XLS
02-24-2011, 01:50 PM
and again it all depends on the depth your installing at 2'' you need more per yard because your going farther on a cubic yard ....... and the blower will be thinner on a pass then by hand . other guys sell it by the weight when blowing it just a though

nobagger
02-24-2011, 02:08 PM
IDK, I rented a bark blower before for a 80 yard job and of course it broke down and left us spreading the remaining 40 some yards by hand in 90 degree weather and about 70-80% humidity....that was fun. But, when it was working we seemed to use a lot less and it took about half the time to finish the final product. Around here guys are getting around 75-85/ yard installed plus maybe 25 bucks for a delivery fee. Your price seems to be in line (at least with our area). Heck if you were closer we would sub you out. A blower uses less product, leaves a better looking finished job. BTW nice set up.

GreenI.A.
02-24-2011, 06:15 PM
never mind flyers, I would contact all the other landscapers in your area and offer to have them sub you. Some guys around me have them, and almost every nursery has one, the landscaper just subs them out. The landscapers crew still does most the work, but the operator gets good money for maning the truck/hose.

I think most HOs wouldn't know what blowing mulch is

c.hutton
02-24-2011, 11:54 PM
Sorry i should have said, my minimum is 250$ and then from there its about 50$ a yard. there are 2 big blower companies around here but they are a 800$ minimum, so i want to get everything under that. i will be getting something out to the landscapers shortly.

JFGLN
02-26-2011, 01:27 AM
Cool set up. I have been using recycled yard waste compost instead of bark to mulch beds. Can your machine handle that kind of product?

XLS
02-27-2011, 12:08 PM
in my spare time i crunched numbers and i recant my statement .
It would have to be a $300.00 3 yard load as a minimimum . And depending on other factors i would be happier at $350 for 3. it cost alot more for that unit then our old small discontinued finn

Landrus2
02-27-2011, 12:15 PM
It all depends how big the job is for a big job like 100 to 300 yards you should be negotiable

ReddensLawnCare
02-27-2011, 10:29 PM
I have never blown the mulch before, so this may be an obvious answer, but how do you measure to make sure you are actually putting 3 yards when you are doing more than one in a day? I know roughly how much one yard of mulch looks like in my trailer so I can go by that. Is that what you do?

ReddensLawnCare
02-27-2011, 10:30 PM
Oh..and are you they guy that broke your arm with that machine? If so..how is it healing up..if not..then just disregard that :)

c.hutton
02-27-2011, 11:26 PM
ya i just go by whats in the hopper and with what works to get the job done. lots of times its just do the job an then you tell them what you used after. yes that was me that wrecked my arm. its healing good. still dont have full movement but its slowly coming back

XLS
03-02-2011, 12:13 PM
you can measure the beds and tell them it will take 3 yards and then when you blow it in bill the 3 yards and not worry if its 1.75 ot 3 yards the job is done

ReddensLawnCare
03-02-2011, 05:50 PM
you can measure the beds and tell them it will take 3 yards and then when you blow it in bill the 3 yards and not worry if its 1.75 ot 3 yards the job is done

I feel like that is cheating the customer big time. I want my customers to get what they pay for and nothing less. I dont tell a customer I will plant 100 annuals at 100 bucks and then only need 75 and still charge them 100..i think that is so wrong...but thats just me. You do whatever you feel ok with I guess

hackitdown
03-02-2011, 06:10 PM
Around here, mulch goes for $75 to $85 per yard installed. It does not matter if it is blown or shoveled, it is the same to the customer. I have heard that a yard of blown mulch covers more than raked.

XLS
03-02-2011, 06:50 PM
reddens its no more wrong then the guys blowing mulch at X per pound and haveing wet mulch in the morning and by the end of the day its drier and weighs less. as for wrong why are you pricing blowing mulch by the YARD and not THE JOB thats your fault loland its not cheating the client the bed size says 3 yards and you apply it deep enough to kill weeds and look good , i know your not measuring 4'' of hand laid mulch so its no differance then blowing it and it looking good and billing it at the $ for the 3 yards . as long as its a good depth its not going to bite you in the rear .

NEUSWEDE
03-02-2011, 06:55 PM
Question for you why should blown in cost more than hand laid? It doesn't look any better. I think you still need to charge the same as hand laid but your benefit will be in doing more properties faster than hand laid. $100 a yard is pretty steep what are you buying it for? I don't think many will see the value when your there and gone in no time and wonder what they paid for.

ReddensLawnCare
03-02-2011, 07:23 PM
XLS..I see what you are saying. I guess I am so used to pricing my mulch jobs by the yard, but in reality I am doing it by the job based on the amount of yards estimated. You make a good point. and to NEUSWEDE...i think it is probably because the overhead is much more.

Gman2310
03-02-2011, 07:50 PM
I just talked to a Guy in my area with a 60 yd truck, $35 yd blown in, that includes mulch. Is yours $100 with prep and mulch.
Posted via Mobile Device

c.hutton
03-02-2011, 09:49 PM
ya like i said earlier, my minimum is 250$, and that is for 2 yards or less. its got to be worth my while to go out to a job. so then after that its about 40$ a yard. so my price list is this
3 yards- 300$
4 yards- 340$
5 yards- 380$
6 yards- 420$
7 yards- 460$
8 yards- 500$
and then its 50$ a yard after that.
i dont do any prep work, i just come an lay out the mulch.

c.hutton
03-02-2011, 09:52 PM
o and that includes the price of mulch, unless they want something different. i get composted bark from a landscape supply place i used to work at, he is helping me a bit, but i get it for 20$ a yard. red bark mulches are about 25-30$ a yard i think.

NEUSWEDE
03-03-2011, 10:27 AM
NEUSWEDE...i think it is probably because the overhead is much more.

I understand that but how is the client going to justify the extra money for the same thing but takes the contractor less time? That is like saying I am going to charge more because I have a 17 yard truck that cost double what a 1 ton dump does. The larger the over head is more convienence for the contractor so they can do more faster and with less ease and in theory make more money.

If he can get the higher rate cool. Just wondering where some of the business choices are at think that because a contractor spends more the price is higher.

Good luck seems like a cool setup that will work well for you.

NEUSWEDE
03-03-2011, 10:34 AM
ya like i said earlier, my minimum is 250$, and that is for 2 yards or less. its got to be worth my while to go out to a job. so then after that its about 40$ a yard. so my price list is this
3 yards- 300$
4 yards- 340$
5 yards- 380$
6 yards- 420$
7 yards- 460$
8 yards- 500$
and then its 50$ a yard after that.
i dont do any prep work, i just come an lay out the mulch.

Why does your pricing go to $50 a yard after 8 yards? Keep it simple I think clients and potential clients are going to get confused. Trying doing a minium/show up price like $300 for 3 yards with blown in and then $45 for each additional yard. Easier and then you make that inital money plus $25 on each additional yard.

Also with not doing prep I think your going to loose out on business. The prep is the aweful part so clients are going to be more inclined to get it delivered and install themselves. Marketing to other contractors I would price on a per job basis because the way your price is now they won't be interested and on a big job say 30-40 yards might not make out so well with the time spent running back and forth to fill the truck.

Just some input from someone on the outside.

c.hutton
03-03-2011, 12:02 PM
It goes up to 50$ a yard after 8 yards because my truck only holds 8 yards so i gotta do another trip to reload after that, and its alot more work for me. As for the minimum, i could increase it but the way i figured it is, i can go out an do 4 jobs in one trip with the minimum being 2 yards, if i increased to 3 yards i could only do 2 or skimp on the material and maybe do 3 jobs. where i got my pricing is from the local landscape supply delivery cost. 3 yards composted bark delivered from them is 150$, so my cost to deliver and install looks pretty good for the customer having to do nothing. that is also one of the cheapest places to get material delivered.
i am not set up for doing the prep work, and i dont have the time.
As for doing the bigger jobs, i dont want them, its not worth it for me. i will go up to 16 yards then tell them to call the other blower companies who have a 16 yard or 800$ minimum. that is why i set up like i have, is to do everything under what the big guys can do. if its a contractor that needs a big area done, they can rent my blower and feed it themselves.
thanks for all the input.