PDA

View Full Version : which is better, a Letter, postcard, or flyer?

sergman89
02-24-2011, 03:41 PM
As we all know its time to advertise.

Me and my business partner have decided a letter may be better for a first run at it this year.

I think a post card would be good for the second run, which I get 1000 for 60.

And a flyer might be good for a third fun, maybe even a door hanger!

With your experience Im asking which has the best return on investment?

The letter is a more professional way of saying hi, but alot of people may say hmmm junk mail?

The post cards have a clever design on the front that will catch eyes, and flyers/doorhangers have a 5% return as I read from this site.

Any thoughts, or comments?

Thank you in advance!!

walker-talker
02-24-2011, 04:50 PM
I would say a letter with a hand-written target and return address on the envelope would do the best as far and getting the potential customer to read. I don't think I would enclose a letter, but maybe a flyer. A 5% return on any piece on direct mail is outstanding. I read somewhere that the national average (non-industry specific) is 2.6%. I mailed out 2500 postcards (twice) a few years ago and average 1.7%. In this economy, I would think .5%-1% would being doing ok.

kirkmbrown2001
02-24-2011, 06:01 PM
I put out 200 postcards in a wealthy neighborhood last year and got 1 call for an estimate but didn't get the job. Whichever option you choose, don't expect miracles!:laugh:

walker-talker
02-24-2011, 07:16 PM
I put out 200 postcards in a wealthy neighborhood last year and got 1 call for an estimate but didn't get the job. Whichever option you choose, don't expect miracles!:laugh:

That's a .5% rate of return..not surprising. I have never targeted the extreme wealthy, but I have heard it is a tough market to penetrate (for lawn care).

sergman89
02-24-2011, 11:05 PM
Thoese are insane numbers, I past out 200 very low quality door hangers and I got 6 clients, only 3 were steady though! Then FREE word of mouth recieved another stead 6 from that go at it.

thats not 5% but higher then 2%

I am assuming putting out professional letters (without individual names) might catch a good few eyes. Then bang out some post cards a week later. Then door hangers two weeks after. come april postcard it one more time

Each go at it will be a little over 700 homes so that people know the name of our business and think KM before any other

sergman89
02-25-2011, 06:09 PM
Not to slap anyone in the face, just re-read last post.

Just saying I usually get around a 5% response then word of mouth does the rest.

*Also posting to bump the thread*

bustutah
02-28-2011, 04:17 PM
I've found that the best roi is postcards the cost is low and distribution cost is low. Remember constant marketing is the key do all 3!

sergman89
02-28-2011, 08:33 PM
I've found that the best roi is postcards the cost is low and distribution cost is low. Remember constant marketing is the key do all 3!

Do you know of a place cheaper then VistaPrint to get the postcards?
They have 1k for under 60

and I am thinking about buy an address list of 1k for 40 as well.

Does that sound like a good deal, or is there somewhere better for either?

In the end to mail out 1k postcards it will cost me about 300

Lux Lawn
02-28-2011, 08:47 PM
This year I sent out letters to about 100 local businesses that may require landscaping service's. So far I have gotten 1 call,went and gave the estimate just waiting on a reply. I also sent letters to about 40 management companys in the area, got two calls from them already but no work yet.

sergman89
02-28-2011, 08:52 PM
Im hoping the letter gets in there head, then send out postcards a few times.

Im thinking if I spend 1k on advertising I should get the money back in 1 month of mowing.

1k will get me 3k postcards with address and mailed out and then I can get some door hangers and put them up.

Its a one month process

rnd
03-01-2011, 02:08 PM
Check out our website at RNDSigns.com and see hundreds of layouts for advertisement ideas. Keep in mind marketing is trial and error and tracking your results is the best tool to keep track of what is working

Download a FREE marketing handbook and planner off of our website

Lux Lawn
03-03-2011, 09:14 PM
Been getting a few calls for estimates on some commercial work this week. It sure would be nice to land some of these accounts.

MLI
03-04-2011, 07:49 AM
After a wild winter here, im thinking of offering free plowing for 1 month(customers choice of which month) when they sign a annual contract. Some will scoff at FREE, but my experience is that it cost us $50-$75 to accquire a new customer. That being said.....im not thinking it will snow more than 2-3 times per month.

Landrus2
03-04-2011, 05:04 PM
After a wild winter here, im thinking of offering free plowing for 1 month(customers choice of which month) when they sign a annual contract. Some will scoff at FREE, but my experience is that it cost us $50-$75 to accquire a new customer. That being said.....im not thinking it will snow more than 2-3 times per month.

free snow removal :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

MLI
03-04-2011, 07:14 PM
curious joe....how much does it cost you on average through marketing does it cost you to acquire a new customer? Do you even know? Have you ever done a marketing campaign? What the difference if you give free cuts, free snow etc, or throw thousands into postcards which we d0?! Maybe youre one of those guys that has accounts just falling in his lap all the time. Do tell?!

MLI
03-04-2011, 07:50 PM
....anyone else use some sort of loss leader? We did postcards last 2 yrs in a row,and the results are getting worse with the economy. I think no matter what we do in the near future....we will be throwing money into the wind! Might lay off the marketing until things become more receptive.

Gone Green
03-04-2011, 10:58 PM
From some stuff that I've gathered, I want to open this up for discussion..
Consider all the methods (multiple impressions) that people remember your brand.

1. Once when they see your truck,
2. once in the yellow pages,
3. once online,
4. once in your flyer,
5. once in your door hanger,
6. once in a direct mail coupon,
7. etc.

They (tested and true marketing professionals, not me) say 8+ impressions then success rate hits the roof.

If you don't have the marketing budget to send 10,000 postcards at once, and expect only 0.5% conversion (and no one rightfully does); consider budgeting out 8 rounds of cards/coupons/door hangers/whatever, every 3 months to the same 1,250 targets in your route.

Gone Green
03-04-2011, 10:59 PM
From some stuff that I've gathered, I want to open this up for discussion..
Consider all the methods (multiple impressions) that people remember your brand.

1. Once when they see your truck,
2. once in the yellow pages,
3. once online,
4. once in your flyer,
5. once in your door hanger,
6. once in a direct mail coupon,
7. etc.

They (tested and true marketing professionals, not me) say 8+ impressions then success rate hits the roof.

If you don't have the marketing budget to send 10,000 postcards at once, and expect only 0.5% conversion (and no one rightfully does); consider budgeting out 8 rounds of cards/coupons/door hangers/whatever, every 3 months to the same 1,250 targets in your route.