PDA

View Full Version : Color Temp Comparison

steveparrott
02-24-2011, 08:59 PM
Since color temp has come up a lot, I created a mock series of images varying color temps. I used the photoshop raw image adjustment that allowed me to enter exact color temp values - so it should be close to real life. (Lighting design by John Garner.)

Note that halogen MR-16's are between 2,700K and 2,800K. Most warm white LED's are 3,000K to 3,200K. As you see in the pics, there is a noticeable difference between 2,800K and 3,000K.

Classic Lighting
02-25-2011, 10:20 AM
Steve, this is a great example. I've been looking for something similar to this for some time. I'm amazed at your knowledge of Photoshop.

emby
02-25-2011, 01:45 PM
Hi Steve,

Thats a pretty cool looking demonstration. In your example you have a white surface which is the most reflective surface that us designers will see. With that being said that is why it is so noticable.
I would like to try that on a darker reflective surface such as decidous tree to see if you can notice a difference between those particular two temperatures.
My thoughts are that in the future we will all be working with 3000k and up in temperatures as its very hard for the LED manufactureres to produce enough FC's from any lower temperatures.

Ken

Illumicare
02-25-2011, 04:00 PM
There are no absolutes. If you look at the specifications for GE Constant Color Halogen MR16 lamps (the industry standard in my opinion) you will see that they have a CCT ranging between 2900 and 3050. When you start doing "real world" comparisons of any type of lamp (such as was done in the LAMP program at this year's AOLP Conference) you will quickly realize that no two same spec. lamps produce the same light colour, intensity, beam shape, etc. The variances between 20w BAB 'Flood' MR16s is quite remarkable, both between manufacturers and also between lamp lines from the same manufacturer.

The bottom line is that you have to know and understand the performance and quality of the lamps you are using. The best way to do this is to sample them, install them and compare for yourself. Don't assume that one company's Halogen BAB is going to offer the same performance as another company's. Also don't assume that One Company's "Warm White" LED lamp is going to look the same as anothers.

There used to be a hesitancy to mix and match LED lamps in with Halogen lamps because "they don't look the same". Well after seeing the AOLP LAMP program demonstration, it was quickly realized that wide discrepancies exist between same spec. halogen lamps too.

Here at Illumicare, we have put a lot of time and energy into the optical performance of our lamps. We offer LED MR16 lamps in 2700K, 3000K and 4000K colour temperatures and with a good variety of beam spreads. Our optics are second to none, and when compared up against most name brand halogen MR16 lamps, many designers and contractors actually prefer our optics. No corona effect, no striations or abberations and a nice even, softly diminishing edge.