PDA

View Full Version : Direct Mailings (what are you paying?)

SLS2007
02-25-2011, 12:16 AM
I am currently doing a direct mail campaign, it seems very expensive to me so I am wondering what people are typically paying (per piece) There are some bigger companies around my area that do TONS of mailings and I'm wondering how they can do it...even if they are bigger companies

SLS2007
02-25-2011, 12:45 AM
I would be looking for a total cost on the mailings which would include the postage as well. Thanks to anyone who can give me some insight

Golfpro21
02-25-2011, 10:44 AM
we pay 14cents per piece, includes double sided colour printed, dropped in mail....have to be ordered in batches of 5000, we also get to pick postal codes so we can target specific areas.

CLS LLC
02-25-2011, 10:50 AM
we pay 14cents per piece, includes double sided colour printed, dropped in mail....have to be ordered in batches of 5000, we also get to pick postal codes so we can target specific areas.

That doesn't make sense. Even bulk mailing rates for post cards is somewhere around 19 cents. That's postage only.

To the OP, last year I sent out 2500 just to test direct mail out. I paid somewhere in the range of $900 for everything so that's 36 cents each.

Golfpro21
02-25-2011, 12:05 PM
not here in Ontario.....we look after a company that produces mass mailing magazines and stand alones, they in turn give us crazy rates.......yes we pay 14 cents for printing and for delivery by post

Golfpro21
02-25-2011, 12:07 PM
we sent out 10,000 last fall and were invoiced $1400, and then that is paid via contra

SLS2007
02-25-2011, 12:31 PM
wow that's cheap......I'm paying about .23 for the postage alone. I hired an advertising company to create them for me because we are going to start "branding" my company so we start using repetition in advertisements that we are doing. I also bought a couple of lists so that is why mine are a bit higher in price as well.

silverwoolley
02-26-2011, 12:23 AM
There is a guy here that owns a couple pizza shops... He came up with a coupon letter that he has delivered to 10,000 homes every month. Price is $400 a month and its just a 1 page paper in an envelope that has about 9 coupons on it from different business'. It gets delivered to the door over a 3 week period.

Golfpro21
02-26-2011, 09:12 AM
There is a guy here that owns a couple pizza shops... He came up with a coupon letter that he has delivered to 10,000 homes every month. Price is $400 a month and its just a 1 page paper in an envelope that has about 9 coupons on it from different business'. It gets delivered to the door over a 3 week period.

thats a cheaper option....you just have to be careful though, you are in an envelope with 8 other companies, so you only have a 9th of a chance of catching someone's attention.....we have tried this option, and can honestly say that going solo on a stand alone produces much better results.

Not once have we lost money on sending out stand alones (direct mailiers)
If we spent $1000 on a run, we have never brought in less than $4000 in new business, and that is only for the current season, then factor in that this new customer is going to remain a customer for atleast 2 more seasons (if you keep them happy) and that $4000 turns into $12,000 plus the chance to sell them on other services each year. Then there is word of mouth from those customers, so really if you have a good stand alone, you could be looking at serious revenue over 3 years for a $1000 investment.

eco.lawns
02-26-2011, 09:53 AM
Ive never done direct mailings before. What are some good companys to look into?
Posted via Mobile Device

wright5223
02-26-2011, 10:22 AM
I went threw a guy out of town the last 2 yrs. did a mailing about 40k cost about 12k never do that again, for this year i'm getting postcards done with plan-it graphics "they look real nice" and I'm going with a local company

Golfpro21
02-26-2011, 01:35 PM
I went threw a guy out of town the last 2 yrs. did a mailing about 40k cost about 12k never do that again, for this year i'm getting postcards done with plan-it graphics "they look real nice" and I'm going with a local company

you paid $40,000 wow that's a huge number to invest....that's $3.30 a piece.....did it generate much revenue

willretire@40
02-26-2011, 03:35 PM
Read the post again.
Posted via Mobile Device

grass-scapes
02-26-2011, 07:53 PM
I believe he mailed out 40 thousand and it cost him 12 thousand...If I read it right.

I am going with one of the companies similar to val-pack.
I will get a flyer with coupons if I choose, full color, mailed to 50 thousand homes for somewhere in the 1300 dollar range per mailing. Some will get to multi family homes, none to businesses, but the business people have to live somewhere, right?

When it boils right down to it, it will cost me the same as a phone book ad I had last year which brought in very little business and bunches of calls from areas out of my service range or from people looking for a job.

This is an experiment for me this year. I will have competition from 2 other local companies that do fert apps only, no maintenance.

First mailing will be hitting mailboxes last week in march. A tad late because I missed the first mailing which hit boxes 2 weeks ago.

TheBetterDoorhanger
03-14-2011, 01:44 AM
Hi Lawnsite Members! Have you heard of our innovative Stick-It Postcards & Band-It Stick-It Door Hangers? They are a cost effective way to keep your advertisement in the customers view. Our post card mailings are as low as $0.27 each including postage - full color printing - 9x6 size & Stick-It®.

We have great start up specials on our products and even offer free CUSTOM design services on some of our specials! (No hidden costs – talk to a live customer service rep – lots of Lawn & Landscaping designs to choose from as well as custom design services)

We also have these special offers on our Stick-It® Door Hangers -

5,000 only $295 - FREE UPS GROUND SHIPPING
2,500 only $189 - FREE UPS GROUND SHIPPING
1,000 only $99
FULL COLOR PRINTING & STICK-IT INCLUDED! - 4.25" x 11" - full color front, blank back, gloss cover stock

SEARCH Lawnsite for Adeas Printing & see what other members are saying about us and our products. TELL CUSTOMER SERVICE YOU READ ABOUT US ON A LAWNSITE FORUM & RECEIVE FREE CUSTOM DESIGN!!

www.AdeasPrinting.com/door-hangers
866 - 778-4254
stickit@adeasprinting.com

Hell on Blades
03-14-2011, 02:57 AM
Using a company that does direct mail specific to my area, I paid $0.04 each for a 10k piece mailing. All guaranteed (as good as that is) to owner occupied single family homes. They have a map and I can pick out which zone I'd like to hit. There are discounts for multiple zones and multiple mailings.

DLONGLANDSCAPING
03-14-2011, 03:39 AM
Using a company that does direct mail specific to my area, I paid $0.04 each for a 10k piece mailing. All guaranteed (as good as that is) to owner occupied single family homes. They have a map and I can pick out which zone I'd like to hit. There are discounts for multiple zones and multiple mailings.

can i get this companies name?
If they are doing post card direct mailing, printing and mailing for .04 cents per piece, that is less than 1/9th the cost of adeas.

Where is this company out of? I will purchase 25,000 post cards from them if they can give me that price.

hec, i will purchase 50k post cards and mail 5 times to 10k houses.

That would be only 2,000 dollars and 10k people would see your name 5 TIMES!!!!!!

grass-scapes
03-14-2011, 08:46 AM
can i get this companies name?
If they are doing post card direct mailing, printing and mailing for .04 cents per piece, that is less than 1/9th the cost of adeas.

Where is this company out of? I will purchase 25,000 post cards from them if they can give me that price.

hec, i will purchase 50k post cards and mail 5 times to 10k houses.

That would be only 2,000 dollars and 10k people would see your name 5 TIMES!!!!!!

What he is doing is just like I am. it is a MAILER. Envelope with coupons and ads inside from a group of businesses that would like to send in your "zone"

You pick where you want it, and you pay for those 10,000 single family home mailers. My cost for 50,000 homes is 3 cents per home.

They claim that they pull out most of the multi residences and businesses as they refine their list.

you will NEVER get direct mail at that price. These companies print in volume, mail in volume, and get good rates for doing it. Some people never see the coupon because they just throw it away as junk mail.

Its a gamble, but im not in the phone book this year.

OmahaFriendly
03-14-2011, 01:47 PM
Personally, I think the Val-pak or marriage mail type solutions are a waste. Sure they're cheap but you end up in a pile of 20-50 other marketers.

I've seen a few places in town partner with another non-competitor, preferably something related like dog waste clean-up. They split the cost of the direct mail and split the "ad space".

Depending on if you're purchasing your own mailing list or using the mail-houses list, and depending on quantity, I'd estimate that a post-card mailing is going to cost around .27 - .36 per piece.