PDA

View Full Version : Palm Trees

TexasFire221
02-25-2011, 08:45 AM
Anyone have any expierence with palm trees. I landscaped a commercial property around Sept of last year and planted about 55 palms. Well last month with our record lows they are all toast. Not only my palms but all palms here in my area. Will they generally bouce back? I can take some pictures if needed for you guys to evaluate. All the frawns where brown but still upright. Well this last week every palm tree in my area has ever single frawn dead and completely limp and hanging. I read somewhere that it you tug on the center most frawn and it is still in place they are probably OK. It this true? Can anyone help me out?

Florida Gardener
02-25-2011, 07:14 PM
What palm?

A copper fungicide should have been applied to the bud right after the cold. If you can pull out the spear leaf(newest frond) right out, yes, the palm is dead. Post pics

TexasFire221
02-25-2011, 07:18 PM
I'll post some pics tomorrow. They are Mexican fan and sago. Ideas about the copper but just didn't get it out. I thought they were looking decent but two weeksafter the freeze they are defiantly showing the effects as of right now the frawns closest to the center are still holding well.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
02-25-2011, 07:33 PM
Sago is not a palm. Not sure what the lows were but washys should be pretty cold tolerant.
Posted via Mobile Device

Agape
02-25-2011, 07:35 PM
I don't know Bro's!
any time someone asks me; "whats wrong with my palm tree?" I tell them "It's in Oregon":dizzy:

TexasFire221
02-25-2011, 07:36 PM
What makes a sago not a palm? Washitonias are tolerant to 18 degrees and it was close to 15 degrees for 2 days straight.
Posted via Mobile Device

groundskeeperllc
02-27-2011, 10:50 AM
The Mexican Fans and the Sagos will come back out, they are both pretty hardy but will show damage when it drops below 24degrees, you can cut back them both to bare trunks, the sago will take a little while to pop out but the Washingtonia "Mexican Fan" will pop out fast, now if you planted Queens or Pygmy Dates you can count on all the pygmys to be dead and about half the Queens to be dead

midlandlawncare
03-01-2011, 01:01 AM
I have planted over 30 25ft= sabals up here in mid georgia , did well as long as you dig a big hole and don't bury too deep , fertilize correctly , and DONT smack the bud while installing.I also have done pindo's ( date palms) and washys.Washys do not tolerate the cold , at least not the teens , killed them the first year , ( tried to tell them ) Sabals did well , even recovered after dieback , [I]slow[I]growers though. The sago is not technically a palm , if they are not really established a hard freeze will kill them , and if they live they will take a while to regrow the fronds. You'll know what you've got in a few weeks , check the center at the bud , look for new growth. If you can pull out the center frond its dead , but i've seen a lot recover , just takes a while for new leave to come in. Just gotta stay with hardy palms if you can , sabals , pindos , windmills , etc. I know that doesnt help you now , best of luck and keep an eye out for new growth when the temps rise. btw i've kept some sensitive palms safe by wrapping the trunks in christmas lights in winter , gotta wrap them heavy though.