PDA

View Full Version : best option

cutbetterthanyou
02-25-2011, 09:14 PM
I have to get rid of some stumps at a new acct. ,about 25 junipers. Some guy took out the hedges and left the stumps. They are about 8 inches tall, 2-3 inchs diameter, with 4-8 trunks coming from each stump. I would have pulled them up from the base if the whole bush was there with my bobcat, but i don't think there is enough there to keep the chain from coming off. What do you guys think the best way to get rid of them is? A small walk behind stump grinder about 180 a day, or a mini ex about 200 a day, or hand dig them maybe get some cheap help. Any other option would be great as well.

cutbetterthanyou
02-25-2011, 11:25 PM
Come on guys 20 views and no help. I know it is something i should know how to do ,but i have never had to come back and fix someone elses shotty work. I have never used a stump grinder ,but 2 of my buddys said that is a good way to to it along with the mini idea. I really don't want to dig buy hand ,but i don't want to waste 200 bucks on something that wouldn't get the job done in a day or worse be as slow as just digging them up buy hand. Like i said, i would have pulled the whole thing up at once ,but now i don't have that option. I just don't know what to do, i just know what i would have done.

SperaLandscaping
02-26-2011, 08:43 AM
Mini Ex would definitely do the job quickly. I would personally use that as you can get the roots as well. The stump grinder would get them below ground level after you cut them off with a saw but if you planned on replanting something else there in the future you would be hitting all the roots when you dig. Digging by hand would take a while. Good luck.

ANC
02-26-2011, 10:27 AM
Do you plan on replanting there, or just seeding, etc. what are the plans for this area?

I jump at the oppurtunity to use a stump grinder....love it. I try and talk the customer into it al the time, even when unneeded..."remove the tulip bulbs? no problem, i have just the tool.":)

Agape
02-26-2011, 10:53 AM
I have to get rid of some stumps at a new acct. ,about 25 junipers. Some guy took out the hedges and left the stumps. They are about 8 inches tall, 2-3 inchs diameter, with 4-8 trunks coming from each stump. I would have pulled them up from the base if the whole bush was there with my bobcat, but i don't think there is enough there to keep the chain from coming off. What do you guys think the best way to get rid of them is? A small walk behind stump grinder about 180 a day, or a mini ex about 200 a day, or hand dig them maybe get some cheap help. Any other option would be great as well.

are they big enough to make a notch in the back of the base with a chainsaw so the chain can hook better?

cutbetterthanyou
02-26-2011, 05:42 PM
They are just planting grass there afterward, but i don't want to leave anything sticking up that could damage the mower.(i have to cut the grass there as well)

cutbetterthanyou
02-26-2011, 05:43 PM
are they big enough to make a notch in the back of the base with a chainsaw so the chain can hook better?

I don't think they are, but could you explain this method a little better or pics i'm not sure i understand what you are trying to do with the notch.

Agape
02-26-2011, 06:42 PM
No diagram, but just a "v" cut to give the chain something to grab so it doesn't slide off.

Think Green
02-26-2011, 06:54 PM
Cutbetter,
If you suspect any utilities near like cable,fiber or phone.......have them located to protect your butt.

Century Landscape
02-26-2011, 09:29 PM
I posted a thread pretty much exactly like this a week ago. I decided the mini excavator is 100% the way to go. My thread was "What would you use?" if you want to look it up, I got some good feedback that is applicable.

Going with the mini excavator you should be able to dig all the roots up at the same time as the main trunk and it won't matter how low to the ground all those were cut.

I honestly can't say I've used a mini excavator before, after getting advice on lawnsite and from some people who've used them for similar work - I've decided that is the way I'm going. You definitely don't want to dig this stuff by hand. I think most of us have gone that route once or twice and don't ever want to do it again.:weightlifter: :laugh:

Also an important note what someone said about getting all utilities marked. Huge fine if caught or if something is somehow damaged.

I'll try to reply to your post again in a day or two after I've used the excavator so I can give you my personal experience. It will be my first time, so my impressions should be valuable. :)

cutbetterthanyou
02-27-2011, 10:43 AM
After I think about it a little more i understand the notch ,but they aren't big enough for that. As for the cables i am calling to get them marked tomorrow there are a few ac units to work around so thats a must. Century i'll look up your thread ,but please post your experience. I have dug with a backhoe, but not a mini so i don't know what i'm up against either. I just wish that the rentals had thumbs then i know that it would be perfect.

ANC
02-27-2011, 11:49 AM
They are just planting grass there afterward, but i don't want to leave anything sticking up that could damage the mower.(i have to cut the grass there as well)

if your just going to replace with grass, you can grind the stumps simply below the surface, add alittle top soil. sod/seed, and be done. If you're thorough with your grinding, you should have no cutting issues at all with your mower.
quick job

Century Landscape
03-01-2011, 12:04 AM
Man! It sure was a breeze using that excavator to remove all those shrubs. It was my first time using an excavator and it worked like a champ! I used a Bobcat 325 mini excavator - it did everything I needed it to and there was minimal tear on the lawn.

Hopefully I'll never dig large shrubs by hand again! I'd definitely recommend it for your application. Instead of four or five hours of backbreaking work, it took me an hour and it was a breeze.