PDA

View Full Version : Bobcat E80

Asphalt/Dirt Man
02-26-2011, 08:29 AM
Has anybody operated one? Seat time in one? Not just speculation or hearsay..

I know they are made by Doosan. They spec out pretty much like any other 8 tonner. I read through all the speculation and hearsay, but have only heard from 1 guy who operates one. So has anybody operated one?

We own and operate Bobcat Skid loaders and are looking to add a 8 ton mini for tearing up asphalt, parking lot additions, and general excavation.

bobcat_ron
02-26-2011, 10:20 AM
Look around before buying one, I tried one out and so did my Dad and we both said the travel speeds were too slow, and excavators must have REAR mounted engines for better stability, Volvo learned this the hard way too and it killed their mini excavator sales.
Darn nice cabs though.

Asphalt/Dirt Man
02-26-2011, 12:48 PM
Thanks for your response.

I did see that the travel speeds were down compared to others.

Stability also meaning tippy or do you just get alot of feedback in the cab?

bobcat_ron
02-26-2011, 04:03 PM
Thanks for your response.

I did see that the travel speeds were down compared to others.

Stability also meaning tippy or do you just get alot of feedback in the cab?

It'll be tippy if you run the big buckets we use here, but everyone else south of us seems to enjoy using tiny little buckets, so maybe it won't be as bad.
The Bobcat 430 and 435's were just horrible monsters to keep upright, my Dad bought a Hitachi 27 because it was 10 times more stable.

Asphalt/Dirt Man
02-27-2011, 12:24 AM
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback!

I have operated a 435 and while it operated like it should, the cab was terrible. A/C didn't cool the cab and it was small. I'm 6'5".

ioilyouin
02-27-2011, 09:06 AM
I sat in one and the cab layout was not the same as my E50.

Asphalt/Dirt Man
03-09-2011, 10:56 PM
Well, went to the Bobcat dealer to see the E80 and E50 in person and give them a test in their yard.

E80 while being very impressive visually, huge huge cab, super quiet, was slower than my 90 year old grandmother. Boom and stick were painfully slow, not responsive, controls took alot of movement to get a response. Me and Barge Man both ran it and were very dissapointed. We didn't get to run it for a long time, so we didn't get it hot. But i don't think it would have helped.

E50 operated better, more responsive and actually had some speed to it. We had to adjust the seat down because it seamed like the cab was made for a short person. Other than that, no real huge complaints. But i liked the cat 305ccr i ran last week better.

Finally to put this in perspective, we drove 5 minutes to ohio cat and checked out the 308 swing boom. Blows the E80 out of the water in terms of speed and responsiveness. Controls are much nicer and if you moved them, it responded with no delay.

Bobcat salesman said other people said it was slow but u don't notice it when your in the dirt. Get it in the dirt he says.
pshh

TomG
03-10-2011, 01:28 AM
Well, went to the Bobcat dealer to see the E80 and E50 in person and give them a test in their yard.

E80 while being very impressive visually, huge huge cab, super quiet, was slower than my 90 year old grandmother. Boom and stick were painfully slow, not responsive, controls took alot of movement to get a response. Me and Barge Man both ran it and were very dissapointed. We didn't get to run it for a long time, so we didn't get it hot. But i don't think it would have helped.

E50 operated better, more responsive and actually had some speed to it. We had to adjust the seat down because it seamed like the cab was made for a short person. Other than that, no real huge complaints. But i liked the cat 305ccr i ran last week better.

Finally to put this in perspective, we drove 5 minutes to ohio cat and checked out the 308 swing boom. Blows the E80 out of the water in terms of speed and responsiveness. Controls are much nicer and if you moved them, it responded with no delay.

Bobcat salesman said other people said it was slow but u don't notice it when your in the dirt. Get it in the dirt he says.
pshh

Remember that the E80 (and 60) are Doosan machines (and the only ones) painted white. I love Bobcats, its the only brand I own and it would take some serious convincing to buy a different brand, but would I buy a Doosan? Ever? Heck no, but that's just me.

I do own an E50 and i will say it is a great machine. If you are looking for a 5t mini, i would recommend demoing it, dig with it, its fast and extremely powerful. I know ioilyouin also owns one and I think he will say the same thing. I actually have a whole thread here on my E50 if you want to check it out. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=336172

Also yes the controls on the E50 are quite responsive.:drinkup::drinkup::drinkup:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypjXJgOmDtU

Asphalt/Dirt Man
03-10-2011, 08:56 AM
Thanks TomG, I have read your thread and was very impressed with what you showed it doing.

I am a bobcat lover myself. The E50 is a heck of a machine.

But through all the rentals we have done we have concluded we need a 8 ton machine. Buckets are roughly double the capacity and the dump height is much taller. We have mainly tandem axle trucks that have very high side boards. The 5 tons still load them, just not as easily.

Now we could still end up in a 5 tonner but we are shoot for a 8 tonner.

RentalGuy
03-10-2011, 11:08 AM

pshh

Was the E80 in Economy or Power mode? That will make a difference in the performance you experienced.

ksss
03-10-2011, 12:38 PM
You might consider taking a Takeuchi TB153 or TB180 for a demo. These machines have the ability to load trucks like a fullsize excavator due to the ability to bring the boom right up along side the cab. It is an excellent truck loading machine. This design beats a typical swing boom design all day. You can also offset dig with out the machine getting pulled around like on a swing boom. After spending a full day on one its pretty hard to look at anything else.

Asphalt/Dirt Man
03-10-2011, 06:15 PM
He didn't say anything about having a different modes. I think it only has one mode.....
It was almost sickening how slow it was. Like half throttle slow. and i had it cranked.
I mean Barge Man and I both ran it. We both thought the same thing. I about want to drive back down there and try it again make sure it wasnt a fluke.

The closest Takeuchi dealer is 2.5 hours away.........
Does seam like it has impressive specs though.

ksss
03-10-2011, 09:29 PM
He didn't say anything about having a different modes. I think it only has one mode.....
It was almost sickening how slow it was. Like half throttle slow. and i had it cranked.
I mean Barge Man and I both ran it. We both thought the same thing. I about want to drive back down there and try it again make sure it wasnt a fluke.

The closest Takeuchi dealer is 2.5 hours away.........
Does seam like it has impressive specs though.

It runs as hard as you would expect it to after looking at the numbers. 2.5 hours away sucks. I have had two of the TB machines. The TB53 had 1500 hours when I traded (needed an EROPS machine) and never had an hour of downtime. I currently have a TB153 with 1500 hours and it has not had an hour of downtime. You may not need much dealer support.

landtech1
03-11-2011, 12:30 AM
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback!

I have operated a 435 and while it operated like it should, the cab was terrible. A/C didn't cool the cab and it was small. I'm 6'5".

I have a 435 and one of the reasons I got it was the room in the cab. Rarely use the airconditioner but the heater works great. Hope you find a good one.

P.Services
03-11-2011, 12:46 AM
Deere makes a pretty mean machine. You may want to check out the 85d. They are FAST and smooth.
Posted via Mobile Device

ksss
03-11-2011, 01:17 AM
Picasso I think the Deere dealer who you bought your 50 from told Deere Const. to pack sand on flooring any more const. equipment. I have not seen a mini ex since yours left and they have 1-2 skid steers at any one time. They used to have a yard full. There is a Deere dealer about 25 miles north that still has both a 50D and 60D. They have been sitting there since the 60 was released in 08 I think. I know a guy could get a killer price on it.

P.Services
03-11-2011, 01:32 AM
I know for a fact that your right. They gave him a hard time for selling mine to me at cost and he just wanted to see it leave. They have a few locations that had 50's and 60's that are going dirt dirt cheap. I wish I could get a 333D at cost!!! I love how the dealers claim to make 2-3 percent on a sale.....come again I paid 48 for mine and the locale dealer wanted 71. I don't believe their song and dance.
Posted via Mobile Device

Asphalt/Dirt Man
03-11-2011, 07:29 AM
I mean I wasn't trying to bash the 435, I just found it small in the cab and the a/c wouldn't even blow on my face. It operated really nicely. Smooth, had power. Just a tad small size wise.

I know, I thought about calling deere up.
Our luck and mine specifically, dealer and warranty support is critical lol More due to our crappy luck than anything.