PDA

View Full Version : Tearing up the yard with an excavator

Century Landscape
02-26-2011, 08:05 PM
Hey guys,

How bad do you think a mini excavator would tear up turf provided it was fairly firm? I'm talking about a Bobcat 325 mini ex and assuming no rain within the last 48 hours on a well draining yard.

Does anybody try putting out plywood or some type of pad to protect the lawn, or is this a waste of time? I'm worried about making turns more than anything else. I'm gonna be using it to remove some shrubs and hedges directly next to someone's house and will of course have to track through the yard while doing it.

Do you normally have a whole lot of trouble with the machine "walking around" while digging? I was thinking so long as I was curling with the bucket instead of pulling the bucket that it shouldn't be too bad.

Ah well, any thoughts or experience relating to the matter would be appreciated!

fastpine
02-26-2011, 10:12 PM
I am quite interested in the answer to this questionas well..

kodak mowing
02-26-2011, 11:53 PM
as long as you dont do much twisting you should be fine,but the will dig up the grass if you have to turn alot,straight in and out would be your only shot of not ripping up the grass.

tlc1994
02-27-2011, 12:41 AM
Simply put like Kodak, go straight you'll be fine, any tight maneuvering and the grass will rip right out.

MFNA
02-27-2011, 03:47 PM
try using a Terramite Small backhoe Loader available from Sunbelt Rentals. Used machine several times I drove it across a customers front lawn no sweat. couldnt even tell it was there. Besides you'll be able to take the wieght off the ground while digging as the machine will be sitting on outriggers and the bucket raising the wheels off the ground.
Regardless of machine, make sure its dry and not cold otherwise you WILL SINK. best of luck!

Landrus2
02-27-2011, 03:53 PM
It will need grading

RidgeRun10
03-02-2011, 10:32 AM
We always put plywood down when doing this. Driving on the lawn, as long as you are straight in and straight out is not the problem, it is when you are actually operating the equipment. Keep the plywood under the machine when you will be digging and you should be fine. The cost of cheap plywood far outweighs regrading, reseeding, ect...

b&b landscapes
03-04-2011, 01:26 PM
:walking:there will be minimal damage and as far as turning goes....

turn left: turn cab 60 degrees left, bring bucket down with flat bottom of bucket on ground, press bucket down until left treads are approx 6" off ground, now rotate right tread forward at the same time rotating cab to the right.

turn right: turn cab 60 degrees right, bring bucket down with flat bottom of bucket on ground, press bucket down until right treads are approx 6" off ground, now rotate left tread forward at the same time rotating cab to the left.

PRACTICE ON THE STREET A COUPLE OF TIMES

I have done this with a cat 345 and 375 and did very minimal damage

KrayzKajun
03-04-2011, 02:16 PM
well i doubt he will be doing it without tearing up the ground since it like a monsoon across most of the state of louisiana right now LOL

its spring in Louisiana time to get out the rain suits!