PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using this aerator?

eco.lawns
02-26-2011, 11:05 PM
http://www.jrcoinc.com/product.asp?id=1

What do you think? will it work as well as a unit that pulls plugs? Thanks for any input!

eco.lawns
02-28-2011, 02:46 PM
Any and all input is always appreciated

eco.lawns
02-28-2011, 11:35 PM
ok lets change it up a bit... what aerator(brand/model) will you be using in 2011?

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-01-2011, 01:08 AM
I am hoping to buy a Turfco XT5 later in the season. Tired of renting every year.

Is that the JRCO hooker aerator? Am interested in seeing what other guys think too.

fatboynormmie
03-01-2011, 02:21 AM
I believe the jrco unit just pokes holes and dosen't really pull plugs.I will be starting out with a Lawn solutions 21"aerator but it too pretty much just pokes holes and leaves no plugs either.I'm interested in the turfco xt5 but have a feeling it's going to give the same results as the unit I have now.I wish there was a rolling tine machine that pulls plugs like a plugr unit.That unit would be on my trailer.As far as ztr mounted aerators also check out z- rator they have spoon type tines and should throw plugs.

JRCO
03-01-2011, 10:54 AM
Just a quick point of clarification. Yes, the Hooker aerator does pull plugs. The difference is they are soft (or loose) plugs rather than hard compacted plugs. As you see on our website, as you move forward the tine hooks and pulls up the loose plug which breaks apart right away on the surface. Hence the name "hooker".

Feel free to give us a call, eco.lawns, if you have any questions. Thanks for everyone's input. It's always good to hear feedback.

Bill
JRCO, Inc
800-966-8442

turfcobob
03-07-2011, 10:22 AM
Any and all input is always appreciated

That is aeration but, I would really question the Quality. Spacing of the holes, amount of soil removed, depth of aeration and movement of soil under the surface is minimal. Aeration in it's most minimal form. In the world of real aerators this unit would not pass muster.

eco.lawns
03-07-2011, 08:56 PM
JRCO, does it tear up the grass to badly? seems that it might

JRCO
03-08-2011, 10:52 AM
Hi Eco,

No, it really doesn't tear up the lawn badly at all.

Here's a video clip for a closer look. Our website, jrcoinc.com also has a photo gallery with pictures of the aeration pattern as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJnirJmTxvo

Thanks,
Bill

eco.lawns
03-08-2011, 10:17 PM
JRCO, Looks pretty good in the video. Im guessing the "hooker" style aerators don't need to be waited down like the "plug" style aerators do because I didn't see any weights in the video.

aeration
03-09-2011, 02:07 AM
Purchase a Lawnsolutions. You won't regret it.
www.plugitlawn.com

eco.lawns
03-09-2011, 11:32 AM
Wow that lawn solutions ride on machine looks pretty awesome. How much did that run you?

fatboynormmie
03-09-2011, 11:12 PM
I came across an older jrco unit this week for 250 bucks so I picked it up to give it a try.Fabbed up a mounting bar to attach to the 2" receiver's I have welded on the mowers.I made the main tube a little long because my pm152z is over a family friends on a demo and didn't want to make the tube to short.I can always make it shorter.The jrco unit was in decent shape and only needed a new switch and the moisture dried out of the actuator.I greased all the zerks and tested it out on my 34z.My ground is super soggy in spots due to all the rain and found traction limited due to the extra weight up front on the hooker.I did actually get stuck once .Will have to try once it drys out a bit.Can't wait to try it out on the 152z.Was able to make 2 passes on one section of my lawn and was surprised at the job it did.It left nice holes in the ground at least 2 1/2"-3'' and the holes were the size of my finger in circumference.I actually liked how it pulled the soft plug and threw it on top of the lawn.All the dirt and grass from the hole was on top of the lawn and the soft plugs would allow for faster breakdown back into the lawn vs a traditional plug .I don't see a real disadvantage or detriment to the lawn.Will have to do somemore testing in different conditions and report back.

Also wanted to give Bill from Jrco props for excellent customer service .He was very helpful and sent me pdf 's and answered all my questions I had on the unit.THANKS BILL!!!!!!

aeration
03-10-2011, 12:56 AM
Eco.lawns: Check LS website. I think they are priced at $8500+delivery this year. Aeration is kind of fun now.

fatboynormmie
03-20-2011, 11:09 PM
Got the Hooker mounted to my 152z and it did pretty well.The ground was still damp but the larger mower had no problem's pushing it.The 34z had traction issues while turning but the ground was still damp.I think the 34z will do better in dry conditions we will have to wait and see.Found plug depth from 2 1/2 -3" and the tines threw all the soil on top of the lawn.I found running the tine engaged almost all the way down (3/4) allowed for easier turning while still pulling great soft plugs .One thing I didn't care for was my tires got caked with muddy soil due to the damp conditions.Was only able to travel at about 1/2 speed of the mower.Any faster seemed to give the tines a little bit of problems and would jack knife themselves.To fix the head you just had to lift the tines and put back down.The newer units look like they can take the higher speeds.The overall length of the hooker and mower makes for a very large footprint and really wouldn't work in smaller size yards.On larger yards it would work great.I do like how you can stand the unit on end for storage .This saves alot of storage and trailer space compared to my lesco pull behind. Beware the unit is heavy and loading it on and off the mower is alot easier with 2 people.I can do it myself but it's a struggle.I will follow up later as ground condition's change. Got 2 video's will have to figure out how to upload them.

eco.lawns
03-21-2011, 12:32 PM
thats a good find fatboy, thanks for the update and good work on the fabrication

fatboynormmie
03-21-2011, 05:20 PM
I can't figure out how to get the url from photobucket over to lawnsite.I copied it but when I try to upload it sends a failure message.I have 2 video's showing the unit in action.Anyone have any suggestions?

dwost
03-22-2011, 02:47 PM
Hey Bill (JRCO), I'm looking at several different models but am considering the hooker. Can you ship direct? If so could you PM me with a shipped total for one being sent to zip 44839? I have had great results with my 60" tine rake dethatcher. I can vouch for their quality and customer service, they are top notch! Thanks

Don

cuttin-to-the-Max
03-25-2011, 11:43 PM
Thats not gonna work well unless the is soft! Thats the only problem with ZTR-Aerators! I HAd a Gator-Rator it was nice but it only worked REALLY REALLY well after a night of rain or in the early morning with the dew on the grass... Not enough down pressure WITH the front wheels off the ground! heres some pics
I had it on a JD 667 Stander FYI they dont make gator rators anymore.

Brown & Co.
05-10-2012, 02:52 AM
The "Gator-Rater" looks like a mean MF. But is it too bulky? (Too much machine)

The Jrco unit looks too good to be true... AND as always of coarse its gonna have to be wet for it to work well. EVERY time you aerate the ground needs to be soft. If wetting it down or waiting for a good rain is what it takes to work then do it. I recommend it Highly.

Now my question for "Jcro". Ive got a Wright Stander 32". I was reading on the "Jrco" website that the smallest Wright you offered a kit for was the 36". Now, I know I can make it work out...I may not be the best welder but I know it can fasten something up. My other question is why the heck is the JRCO Soft plug aerator listed as $2000 msrp? When its clearly made from about 200-300 dollars or less worth of parts and bolts without a single solid weld? It does look like a high dollar, very clean, very smooth running DIY project. Also Ive researched that the tines loose shape of coarse just as you will need to replace the tines or any other aerator. Whats the replacements cost or maintenance on them to fix that issue? I am very interested but NOT for $2000. Maybe we can write up a deal or something because I am also looking at two other Jrco Products as well. Email me at Help@mybrowncompany.com or Ill try to catch your PM when I get on here once in a blue moon.

JRCO
05-10-2012, 03:25 PM
Hi Brown & Co,

Thanks for your post in this thread. I'll send you an email this afternoon but I'd like to clarify a couple quick things publicly.

Not true on the "gonna have to be wet for it to work well" part of your comment. It actually works best when conditions are somewhat on the dry side rather than wet.

With all due respect, our attachments are not "DIY project[s]" made in someone's back shed or garage. I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion. We've been in business for 36 years and are proud of the quality products we bring to the market. Customer service is our top priority.

The 32" Stander, in regard to the mount bar fit, has some clearance issues for us. The front caster wheels are very close together and we need them to be able to spin all the way around without hitting the mount bar. So, it's not a matter of welding something up. It's a clearance issue.

Also, to really make use of the maneuverabilty of the Hooker aerator, you'd want to have the larger drive wheels that the 48" and larger Standers offer. Those have better traction for the aerator.

It's the same reason we don't recommend the aerator for walkbehinds. Larger drive wheels help make the most of our aerator's tight turning and manueverability.

Again, I'll send you and email to go over this a bit more this afternoon. Also, feel free to call me at 800-966-8442 if you'd like to discuss it over the phone. Anyone who has questions can call me anytime. I'd be glad to talk with you.

Thanks for your interest in our products.

Sincerely,
Bill

Brown & Co.
05-10-2012, 04:42 PM
Hi Brown & Co,

Thanks for your post in this thread. I'll send you an email this afternoon but I'd like to clarify a couple quick things publicly.

Not true on the "gonna have to be wet for it to work well" part of your comment. It actually works best when conditions are somewhat on the dry side rather than wet.

With all due respect, our attachments are not "DIY project[s]" made in someone's back shed or garage. I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion. We've been in business for 36 years and are proud of the quality products we bring to the market. Customer service is our top priority.

The 32" Stander, in regard to the mount bar fit, has some clearance issues for us. The front caster wheels are very close together and we need them to be able to spin all the way around without hitting the mount bar. So, it's not a matter of welding something up. It's a clearance issue.

Also, to really make use of the maneuverabilty of the Hooker aerator, you'd want to have the larger drive wheels that the 48" and larger Standers offer. Those have better traction for the aerator.

It's the same reason we don't recommend the aerator for walkbehinds. Larger drive wheels help make the most of our aerator's tight turning and manueverability.

Again, I'll send you and email to go over this a bit more this afternoon. Also, feel free to call me at 800-966-8442 if you'd like to discuss it over the phone. Anyone who has questions can call me anytime. I'd be glad to talk with you.

Thanks for your interest in our products.

Sincerely,
Bill

First and foremost ..."Not true on the "gonna have to be wet for it to work well" part of your comment. It actually works best when conditions are somewhat on the dry side rather than wet. "

I was refering to the lawn being soft...not just wet...if wetting it helps to "soften" it then do it.

"The 32" Stander, in regard to the mount bar fit, has some clearance issues for us. The front caster wheels are very close together and we need them to be able to spin all the way around without hitting the mount bar. So, it's not a matter of welding something up. It's a clearance issue. "

Ok this is not going the way I expected...probably just going to go with another brand.

Caster wheels in the way? Traction Issues? this all sounds like a lazy mans copout for not actually thinking through the problem...I have the answer and i want one but...Im getting second thoughts.

My big problem is that you feel you needed to clarify youve been in business for X number of years...that usually comes back around to bit you...it is now...Lets just say Ive been in business for 50 years does that make me more right that you? I dont think so...

And of coarse its a DIY...you build it yourself dont you?

For clearification...I was not bashing your products quality...mearly making MY OWN observation...so you were asking how I came to that conclusion...I used my own eyes.

Lastly ...traction...the Wright stander is exactly like the 36 when it comes the parts (wheels, controls, pumps, tanks, hoses, bolts, the only thing thats diferent is the length of the blades and the wide of the deck.

So whats this stuff on wanting a bigger wheel...traction has NOTHING to do with the size of the walkbehind or Ride-on...it has to do with your wheels...sure the added weight, width...long story short the tires footprint to the ground. the part that is rubbing me the wrong way the most is that with these facts known...you make a kit for the 36 but yet say basically no it wont work etc and start talking about 48"

Im sure you know your product better than I. Im not here to inform you about these things...I dont feel like the quality service your speaking of is as good as you think.

Im interested in your product I asked a very clear question that you have dodged....why do you feel that asking that much for this attachment is acceptable.

Maybe we can start over...Im going to continue looking other directions though...hope this can be amended.

JRCO
05-10-2012, 05:13 PM
No offense taken, nor any intended, Brad. I just wanted to answer your questions.

I left you a voicemail a few minutes ago. If you'd like to talk, give me a call when you get a chance. Sometimes it's easier to discuss things over the phone rather than back and forth via forum posts.

Thanks!

Bill