PDA

View Full Version : hearing protection

snapper
09-13-2002, 11:35 PM
Has any body used the ear plugs that are some kind of plastic, and you just push into your ear? I found some for 99 cents the other day when I bought parts for my blower. They are echo brand, have a string connecting them together. They seem to work pretty good. Does anybody else use them? Do you like them? Thanks again, Snapper

bruces
09-13-2002, 11:45 PM
I've used them all year.

roscioli
09-14-2002, 12:04 AM
Have never used them... but how about headphones? Peltor makes some great ones,,, the worktunes are ok, and the selects are awesome. Selects add digital tuning, but subtract am/fm. Selects also have a mic that you can turn on or off to hear whats up outside of the headphones. Selects can get pricey, worktunes like $65

HarryD
09-14-2002, 01:08 AM
i use them . the minute i get out of my truck i put them in

i like them and have not had any problems using them

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32051&highlight=hearing+protection

Tim Canavan
09-14-2002, 01:22 AM
Huh? Speak up:D

I got some from a ramp guy that works at the airport. They're not the one's that are like earphones. They are attached together by plastic and you put then around your neck in between yards.

Bushman
09-14-2002, 02:24 AM
I have had great luck with Stilh headphones.
They have been very comfortable, quite and durable

DLCS
09-14-2002, 02:51 AM
Snapper,

You can get almost any type of hearing protection on a cord. I get mine from Conney. I think they got good prices. www.conney.com

Mike

Phishook
09-14-2002, 04:50 AM
Check out the Noise Reduction Rating. The higher the number the more protection, That is what you're looking for, Right?

The reusable rubber ones I tried had a NRR 25. Didn't fit my ears good. Felt like putting sand papper in my ears after a few times. They wern't dirty, they just lost that soft tex. **

E.A.R Classics NRR 25. They are the yellow foam ones. They're OK. Cheap & comfortable. Don't stick'em in too far! Had to use needle nose pliers to get the out of the helps ear!:eek: One time use, so that's about 8prs. a day.

Peltor Worktunes NRR 25. They do help the day go by faster and keep your ears clean. But, then you are replacing noise with noise, and I was getting a tan line arround my ears.:eek: ***

Howard Leight MAX NRR 33. Orange pre-shapped foam. Verry comfortable. One time use, but I streach them into 2-3 uses. ****

If you use plugs and not muffs, make sure you put them in right. Roll them up, then pull your ear up with other hand to open the cannel up, then put it in and hold untill expands.
Pulling your ear up may sound stupid, but it works and they stay in place longer.

gravedigger5
09-14-2002, 11:27 AM
snapper, ANY KIND OF EAR/HEARING PROTECTION IS BETTER THAN NONE. I had to shout so the people on here that don't use it could hear me. I grew up on a farm and have spent the last 14 years in a factory, always around noisy equipment. Between saftey training and personal experience have learned that the only thing more or just as important than hearing protection is eye protection. Both senses are what get you through everyday, so take care of them, they can't be replaced. I use green foam ear plugs. try to use same pair all day, unless they get greasy or extra dirty. Take care of those ears and eyes, and goodluck, Marc

Safety Isn't Always Fun :mad:
But Necessary:)

Cleve
09-14-2002, 06:00 PM
Just a note regards the "ear plug" type protection. I spent many years prior to mowing in a manufacturing plant that was very loud. Ear plugs were required at all times. One of the most noticeable problems I found was that they tend to push ear wax back into your ears. This can create major problems for some folks.
I finally switched to using the muff types all the time. Less ear problems after that.
I've always used the muff types while mowing and never found any that would really quieten the noise of my Walker diesel. That is, not until I started using the Peltor Selects. These things work perfectly. And they are comfortable. Turned off, they are almost silent. Turned on, they allow you to hear everything outside and can even enhance low sounds. You can even carry on a conversation as if you weren't wearing hearing protection. All this without allowing anything dangerous in. Turn the radio on and it sounds like it should. Wish I had found these things years ago.
Cleve.

walker-talker
09-14-2002, 09:35 PM
Right now I use a cheap pair of ear muffs. In the past I have tried the expandable foam type and threw a set of radio ear phones on top of them and this works well. I would love to get a set of Peltor Selects someday.

MATT

J. Bret Holder
09-15-2002, 11:50 PM
We've been using Howard Leight QB2 Earbands for at least five years now. They are comfortable, they don't get in the way, and they are especially lightweight. THEY WORK VERY WELL!

www.howardleight.com

http://216.120.94.37/cgi-bin/WebObjects/HLSite.woa/wa/page?key=bands

MikeLT1Z28
09-16-2002, 12:00 AM
one of the exmark dealers here sells a safety glasses/ear plug combo thing. the plugs are built right into the glasses. i think they are around $20.

kppurn
09-16-2002, 12:42 AM
Right now I just use regular ear plugs. They do a good job. Like someone said, anything is better than nothing. I was thinking about trying the elvex fm headset. Has anyone used these?

Doogiegh
09-16-2002, 01:14 AM
I use the Peltor worktunes and they are outrageous.. I keep them on the passenger seat next to me and put them on as I get out of the truck and put my keys in my pockets.. Turn them on and get going on the job right away., Being able to listen to the radio, while still hearing what the mower is doing is a 2 in 1 benefit. It keeps me motivated to keep going and I love rock n roll, and it protects my ears so they don't ring at nightime..

If my peltors broke, I would buy a second pair immediatly.
Gary