PDA

View Full Version : Quickbooks help

BLC1
02-27-2011, 08:16 AM
I am making some switches in my quickbooks. I am going to start tracking jobs and costs by classes so I can get a more detailed p&l.

My question is how do I enter into the invoices without putting an item. My items were originally lawn care, landscape, plow etc... Now I am making classes for those so I dont want the items to be the same and have columns and rows breaking down the same info on the p&l.

Does this make sense?

JFGauvreau
02-27-2011, 08:33 AM
Hmm... What are you trying to do exactly? Like keep track of the services you did on some of your customers while using quick books?

BLC1
02-27-2011, 12:38 PM
I want to be able to pull a P&L for each dept. I set up classes to be able to do this but quickbooks wont let me make the invoice without entering something in the item column.

GunnPropertyServices
02-27-2011, 02:11 PM
you have to always enter an item, but you have to set up different items for those different dept or how ever you want to do it

BLC1
02-27-2011, 02:42 PM
Can I just create an item and call it "1" and put that for everything to get around it. I have the classes set up to differentiate the depts.

daveyo
02-27-2011, 05:07 PM
You need to put an item how is Qb supposed to track it. Why don't you just create subitems. What I do is have fert as an item and all the specifics like 18-0-6, allectus, and everything else. I can track exactly what I sold and how much I make from each unit I sold.

JFGauvreau
02-27-2011, 07:35 PM
You need to put an item how is Qb supposed to track it. Why don't you just create subitems. What I do is have fert as an item and all the specifics like 18-0-6, allectus, and everything else. I can track exactly what I sold and how much I make from each unit I sold.

That's nice, how do you make a subitem?

And do you have any idea how to reset your year in QB? Like for my sales receipt, it says I have X numbers of sales receipt, giving me a total of X sales revenue, but that's for the last year, now in 2011, I still have those sales receipt and sales revenue.

I would like to keep those numbers, but also would like to clear it new for this 2011 season, any ideas on how to do that?

BLC1
02-27-2011, 08:09 PM
Dave,

When you create your sub items can you track the cost for each as well. For example, with the classes I have set up, I can track all the income for landscaping, lawn care, lawn maintenace, and the same with the expenses. I can assign an expense to each class to be able to break down how much each dept has made.

daveyo
02-27-2011, 08:19 PM

And do you have any idea how to reset your year in QB? Like for my sales receipt, it says I have X numbers of sales receipt, giving me a total of X sales revenue, but that's for the last year, now in 2011, I still have those sales receipt and sales revenue.

I would like to keep those numbers, but also would like to clear it new for this 2011 season, any ideas on how to do that?

Quickbooks automatically tracks date and time. What are you using sales receipts for?

daveyo
02-27-2011, 08:37 PM
Dave,

When you create your sub items can you track the cost for each as well. For example, with the classes I have set up, I can track all the income for landscaping, lawn care, lawn maintenace, and the same with the expenses. I can assign an expense to each class to be able to break down how much each dept has made.

Absolutely, thats the way it should be done. How do you know where your major income comes from. or where you think you may be able to improve something based on the numbers. My items list is at least 120 to 140 different types of services. From aerating to weeding. When I invoice a customer I put the service I did Specifically like 18-0-3 not fertilizer this way QB easily tracks that service and you can pull up how much income that service generated. You know how much you spent on that item based on how you input it into QB, I use one major credit card for all my expenses so I can easily input that data into my CC account. Another example is I have gas as an item then diesel, equipment and vehicles as a sub item and easily track those expenses separately.

daveyo
02-27-2011, 08:43 PM

When you add a new item right next to it is a sub item box, check it and chose the item you want it to go under.

BLC1
02-27-2011, 10:09 PM
How do you track the expenses along with that. You said you had items broken down all the way to things like weeding. How do you put costs in associated with weeding