PDA

View Full Version : new fastrak still in the crate :)

eyewall
09-14-2002, 12:16 AM
Well, I picked up my new FasTrac at FedEx this morning. Its still sitting in the shipping crate though. I did not have time to unpack it, since I had to get to work. I'm just a guy out in the country who needed a good mower. This site helped me out tremendously in making that decision. THANKS ALOT! I demod one last week, and was quite impressed. So, I'll put the seat, driving controls, and hour meter on tomorrow, and see if it fires up! :)

Later...cm

Dan1944
09-14-2002, 09:47 AM
DONT FORGET THE OIL !!!!!

Good luck with your new Z

I just picked up a new Mini on Tuesday, unloaded from the trailer and parked it in the garage. Have not looked at it since :mad: :mad:

To busy cutting and to dang tired at night, maybe tommorow I will put it thru it's paces ;) ;)

Dan the lawn care man

eyewall
09-22-2002, 11:39 AM
The seat, arms, hour meter, etc attached easily. Checked out the motor, oil, etc. The motor would not fire at first, plenty of fuel, but not getting to the clear fuel filter. I looked around, and discovered the fuel shutoffs below each tank. Open those, and we were up and running. Mowed my lawn in little under two hours. It normally takes 3 and a half, and not a flat piece of ground on it. Sure is fun now! Love this mower, excellent piece of equipment!:D

captdevo
09-22-2002, 10:25 PM
where are you in iowa? why did you have to prep it yourself???

eyewall
09-23-2002, 12:01 PM
I'm southeast of Des Moines about 16 miles. I ordered the unit on-line and it was shipped to me in the factory crate. The motor was ready to go, it just need fuel, and to open the tank shutoffs.

captdevo
09-23-2002, 01:02 PM
i didn't realize online sales were allowed......since i'm a sponsor, looks like i'll be selling them here on lawnsite:D :D :D :D

dave

bjw
09-23-2002, 07:53 PM
Where did you order the unit online. What is their address???

captdevo
09-23-2002, 08:38 PM
i've got them online now!!!!

click here to see!!! (http://www.rpm-co.com/prod17.htm)

free shipping, no tax outside iowa!

Floridalandcare
09-24-2002, 04:03 PM
Those prices are alot more than what I paid for mine

captdevo
09-24-2002, 07:27 PM
Floridalandcare....come on now, tell the truth!

that's not what you told me in this email!........Capt Devo, Sorry I didnt get back with you sooner,I didnt really know how to navigate through Lawnsite.com.But the dealer I deal with is ------------They sell at the MSRP but they are real new to this area and is the only Hustler dealer in the area .

NOT!!!! if they sell at msrp, i beat them by hundreds!

what did you pay for yours??? now, let's be honest here!

Florida is like Iowa, it is a distribution state for Hustlers, not dealer direct.....which mean$...."middleman".

RichR
09-25-2002, 09:11 AM
Captdevo, not to be rude or anything......but i beat the price you offer on the Fastrak. In fact by several hundred $. I got the Fastrack with every possible option (excetp the soon to be baggin system) for about what you sell the unit for. But I think your prices are pretty good and very fair. I am in Michigan and ordered it from Indianappolis Ind. The local Hustler dealer in my city wanted full MSRP, probably because they are only a commercial dealer to golf courses. But, like i say, your prices are still a good deal.

All in all...i really wouldnt of cared what i paid for this mower. I think it is worth every penny. I mow 3+ acres of my property. I couldnt of found a better machine for the price range. There are not many "estate"/"heavy duty home" type mowers out there.
The Fastrak is in a class of its own! What ever anyone pays for any of the Hustler products....you just cant go wrong!!!

Happy Hustler owner in MI.

captdevo
09-25-2002, 07:57 PM
:( it's a shame they are selling soooo cheap...(for the market that is)

that's the best i can do, given the state i'm in, and the sales bracket i'm in, if i booked 70+ machines, i could compete.

i'm in small town iowa, so it's not feasible....(unless alot of people want to order some, then i'll surely beat them!!! ...lol):D

some dealers make their money in the showroom and the shop, some just in the shop.

gene gls
09-25-2002, 10:23 PM
Where are you "online buyers" taking you Hustlers for service????

Gene

RichR
09-27-2002, 08:11 AM
Gene, as far as maintenence and the small aspects of taking care of the Fastrak, i do it. If i need to service the hydro, or any other harder and more techinical aspects...i have a choice to take it to the commercial dealer about 20 miles away or a much better dealer that has great customer care and service about 45 miles away. So when it comes time to take it there, i bite the bullet and trailer it there. At this point i only have less than 30 hours on it. I will take it to one of the dealers in the spring before i start cutting again. I knew this going in when i baught it. I know that there are others that may not have a dealer around for miles. That is always something i have thought about, what will they do for service or maintenence they cant handle. But then, that is also why i baught a Hustler...so i have the best built machine on the market for my needs. That way i wont have to make trips to a dealer constantly with problems....like a few of my neighbors with other brands....which i wont mention. I live out in the country on a nice lake...most of my neighbors have 2+ acres of lawn. I talked to several of them last spring before i finally made my decision to purchase the Fastrak. They are all jealous now!

syncom2
09-27-2002, 12:55 PM
Mr. RichR (and others)…
Not being totally up to speed as to what FasTrac engines are available, but remembering that a Honda 20 HP was on the list, what for engine do you have on your FasTrac? The reason I've asked is because of all the bad rap/grades that the LCO boys here on LawnSite have been giving the larger sized Honda engines. Still… other than what I've read on LawnSite, not one dealer that I've spoken with in 2003 has given me any valid reason(s) to believe that a Kawasaki would serve me any more faithfully. One dealer that I spoke with, who said that he had sold 20 or so FasTracs this year, said that one elderly lady customer had returned hers to his shop. Her problem was some dirt that had accumulated in the carburetor. The debris was removed and she went merrily on her way. Unless my eye fixes upon something else here in the next few months, I'm looking to purchase a Super MiniZ, with a 24 HP Honda by the time the grass greens up next spring. Maybe I'm about to make a major mistake… pickin' a Honda that is. I dunno… I'd like to hear some pro and con info firsthand… and not from someone who is jealous that their machine isn't painted a shade of Hustler yellow! Easy easy easy there… just kiddin' ya know! :)
mb

Dan1944
09-27-2002, 03:47 PM
Get the Kawi, big honda's have reputation for a reason, among reliabilty is the parts availibilty problem. Run a poll on lawnsite and see the results for your self. as far as the bias issue on my part being an issue ,Yes, I have a new Hustler Mini Z 52" with the 23 Kawasaki. You cant go wrong getting a Hustler period, Super peice of equiptment. Engine choice you might. I did a lot of reserch in this site and other sites as far as engine choice. I would not hesitate buying a Honda 21" with a small motor, they are indeed almost bullit proof. My 2c. Good luck with your Hustler Z.

Dan the lawn care man

syncom2
09-27-2002, 07:53 PM
Dan,
I appreciate / respect your opinion and the sharing of your homework with me concerning the package that Hustler offers for their engine selection.
If Honda's reliability and parts availability with the senior HP's is such an issue with everyone - those that actually drive these machines up and down the lawns across America, I wonder why Hustler's fine engineers gave the green go-ahead light to their team of managers to use this engine manufacture? Why allow a "weak link" to arise in such an excellent designed and manufactured product? I dunno…
If it were possible for me to custom hand-pick the engine that I'd like to see 'em use in their smaller line of mid-mount Z's, it'd be a three-banger Kubota… with a water cooled system of course. Sure, you'd pay more for it upfront, but isn't keeping the blades a-turnin' the name of the game? As all know so well, one's gotta cut the green in order to have their pockets lined in green… so I'd think it of being that way.
As it now stands, I'm not inta the business line of the LCO operation… yet. But still, I'm thinking down the road $$.$$ here from the get-go. Yes, presently I'm just a homeowner who has a long-term plan up his sleeve - causing an itch that I've yet to seriously scratch. So there's no tax advantages in store for me for purchasing any equipment at the moment. For the immediate time being, I just want something propelling me along that'll wet my appetite for providing an unsurpassed local LCO operation, when/if that time ever arrives. Maybe I'll forever end up just being a happy-go-lucky… grinnin' landowner - one that can't get his grass to grow near soon 'nough for him to whack it off but for one more cycle!?!
So then Dan, are you finally getting some serious hours accumulated on your Z machine? I know that you mentioned from the on-set there… 'bout a month or so ago it was, that you were too busy to even get its tires stained.
Also, I was wondering if you or anyone out there has or are considering adding some lights to their rig. I know that once mine arrives, whether it be mid-winter or next spring, that adding a good lighting package will be on my list of things to do. And I do not wish to install just your ordinary tractor light kit. Hopefully there's something out there on the market scene that will take the high vibrations it'll need to absorb… as well as provide a brilliant light source. Most likely, if the electrical system can handle the load, I'd like to have two mounted on the front end as well as two on the rear… unless I can purchase a light that'll really sweep the degrees on the rearward side.
Again, thanks to one and all!
mb

Dan1944
09-27-2002, 11:31 PM
syncom2:

I have a confession to make, indeed I was and am still busy (Florida) so it grows overnite here and most have irrigation systems. I was intimidated by that big yellow machine !. I had the dealer load it on my trailer, and my first attempt in driving it off was my first time driving a "Z". Backing off the trailer and seeing the front wheels do 180"s on you is frightening. Luckily no one was around to see me inch off the trailer. I got it into the garage with out hitting anything and said to myself this is going to be a long learning experiance. Boy was I wrong! In side of 1 hour the controls feel like an extension of your arms and brain. My rough cut equiptment use to be a 38" Cub LT and a 42" Craftsmen LT, inside of 1 week I cut down my rough cut time by 1/4 "NO BULL " and have been improving on that. One thing I will not compromise on is a Quality job and the Hustler has not let me down. I now have the craftsmen parked in front of my local Ace hardware store with a FOR SALE sign on it. The CUB I will keep as a hopefully never needed backup. I have picked up 6 accounts since I started using the Z and have not solicitated anyone. I hope you fulfill that dream you have. I did.

Dan the lawn care man

gene gls
09-28-2002, 12:27 AM
Syncom2, Dan 1944, Rich R,

I questioned your service availiblity for "online ordering" because I have had nothing but trouble with my Hustler Z 60" from the getgo. I bought a demo unit with very low hours from a very repitable Hustler dealer. Week 1 the choke knob pulled off and we had to use vise grips for over a week until a new cable arrived. I have sence found that this is a common problem with the 25HP Kawie engin. At 100 hours the Bac-Vac unit and Donaldson air filter were installed. At 150 hours we started having problems with engauging the blades. The engin would cut out and die. At 170 hours we got a new carb instaled. It took 1 week for the carb to be delivered. At 180 hours we lost the right wheel motor along with a pump. The mower sat at the dealers another week waiting for parts. I just got it back today. We have 80 hours on the Bac-Vac unit and have had 4 cracked blower belts. The dealer has checked the set-up out and can not give me an answer to my problem. I have had it less than 3 months and it has set at the dealers for almost 3 weeks durning that time. I am not a happy Hustler owner. I have purchased another used Walker unit for a spare machine and it looks like it will see more use than I expected. I know I'm not the only one having problems but it looks like I'm the only one on this forum admitting to having problems. I'm glad I only bought 1 Hustler unit. Its going to take a lot of convincing on Hustlers part for me to get another one.

Gene

RichR
09-29-2002, 08:57 PM
Gene, I own a Fastrak. It has a Honda GXV620- 20hp engine. People have reported problems with some of the Honda engines above 6 hp models...but exactly which ones? Dodge made a k-car and also makes a viper. Enough said on that issue about motors, however, i would of baught a Kohler over a Kaw if i had the choice. I have had both on past mowers, and the kohler was so much better. But so far i only have less than 30 hrs on my machine. So i can not really give you much feed back on it at this point. Also, how was the enginge treated has alot to do with it as well. I clean the air cleaner prefilter evertime i mow. (3 acres)

I baught a brand new Hustler, not a used one. So i know it will not be someone elses problem that i baught. I have been down that used road before...i shall never return to it. Also, your machine is not the same unit as mine, so i cant see comparing apples to oranges here.

Hope this helps the way you look at Hustler. I spent months figuring out what machine to purchase....and so far, im very happy.

gene gls
10-01-2002, 10:57 PM
RichR,
A lot of Hustler parts are interchangable. Keep your fingers crossed that your Fast Trac has different parts than my Z.

For the update,

At 192 hours the left hydro is going. Its back to the dealer for another week or so. Long story on oil contanamation from the right side going out last week. Looks like Hustler may need a seperate oil resevoir for each wheel motor.

Gene