PDA

View Full Version : How do I bid on trimming shrubs?

RR's Lawn Service
02-27-2011, 02:19 PM
I am just looking for what it the best way to bid on trimming shrubs. Thanks in advance.

XLS
02-27-2011, 02:40 PM
go do them a year and tell us ,knowledge is always the best way to know

Landrus2
02-27-2011, 03:56 PM
I am just looking for what it the best way to bid on trimming shrubs. Thanks in advance.

we need to see what you are trimming :weightlifter::weightlifter::weightlifter::weightlifter:

FLAhaulboy
02-27-2011, 09:38 PM
Quote an hourly price & if they want the debris hauled off, charge extra. If you quote a set price instead of an hour rate, you'll screw up eventually on most jobs and lose money because you'll miss calculating how long a job will take you to complete...sooner than later.

BanksPower
02-27-2011, 10:44 PM

We bid them at a $1 a cu. ft. as long as we do not use a ladder, $3 a cu. ft. if over 5' high. This also depends on how wide they are and if a hedge clipper can cut them. Rule of thumb: $70 an hour. Clean up and disposal.

starry night
02-27-2011, 10:55 PM
We bid them at a $1 a cu. ft. as long as we do not use a ladder, $3 a cu. ft. if over 5' high. This also depends on how wide they are and if a hedge clipper can cut them. Rule of thumb: $70 an hour. Clean up and disposal.

Uhhhhhhh. per cubic foot?

kilgoja
02-27-2011, 11:35 PM
by myself on average is takes 1 hr for every 10-15 bushes...counting trimming, cleanup, and all....i did a job with 40 bushes and it took 3 1/2 hrs by myself...the bushes were small to medium sized....and they were already shaped well...if you have to reshape them and such it's gonna take longer

BanksPower
02-28-2011, 08:54 AM
Uhhhhhhh. per cubic foot?

Just caught that... had mulch on the brain last night.

starry night
02-28-2011, 09:57 AM
Just caught that... had mulch on the brain last night.

It wasn't meant to be a jab. Even after 28 years in business, I learn new things all the time. So I wondered about this measurement for estimating trimming. :laugh::laugh:

landscaper7
02-28-2011, 10:03 AM
I charge $50 per man hr for plant and tree pruning.

RR's Lawn Service
02-28-2011, 01:04 PM

Thanks, I appreciate all the advice. All the plants/shrubs are small to medium size. I would say none are 4ft tall. I have been mowing for about 10 years but never really got into the mulching, trimming, or landscaping part of the business. I am making a full time go at it this year so it is time to expand the business. I just wanted to make sure I knew how to bid before I start throwing numbers out and not know if it is a fair price for me and the customer. Thanks.

betmr
02-28-2011, 01:48 PM
Thanks, I appreciate all the advice. All the plants/shrubs are small to medium size. I would say none are 4ft tall. I have been mowing for about 10 years but never really got into the mulching, trimming, or landscaping part of the business. I am making a full time go at it this year so it is time to expand the business. I just wanted to make sure I knew how to bid before I start throwing numbers out and not know if it is a fair price for me and the customer. Thanks.

You should be sure you know what you are doing, before stating that. Not everyone knows how to prune.

starry night
02-28-2011, 01:53 PM
Hedging vs. pruning. Big difference.

betmr
02-28-2011, 03:54 PM
There are plenty of techniques in either, Shearing or Selective Pruning, that need concideration. You kinda should know what you're doing, BEFORE, you charge people money for it, don't you think?

RR's Lawn Service
02-28-2011, 05:09 PM
There are plenty of techniques in either, Shearing or Selective Pruning, that need concideration. You kinda should know what you're doing, BEFORE, you charge people money for it, don't you think?

I completely agree with you on that. I wouldn't want to pay someone that doesn't know what they are doing. I have trimmed shrubs before for an organization I belong to and also prunned their trees but I have never charged them. I was just wondering what a fair price is more than anything. Thanks.

Darryl G
02-28-2011, 05:20 PM
I give an estimate and bill hourly plus disposal. My minimum would be around $125 unless it's something minor like a few boxwoods or something for a regular customer that could be done while there mowing or something.

newjerseylandscaping
02-28-2011, 05:34 PM
ALL is the hourly with or without disposal

PROCUT1
02-28-2011, 07:54 PM
Enough to cover your expenses and make a profit

XLS
03-02-2011, 12:53 PM
on top of a per bush price we charge $25 per 45 gallon can we fill with clippings we fill.

isnt it amazing how many different ways you can charge for bushes , i tell you the best way to do it is keep it simple ,and figure it out on your own , really