PDA

View Full Version : Flex deck on 36" metro 12.5 kaw?

ranger520
09-14-2002, 04:37 AM
Will this combo work. it looks like a great deal as every account I have has low hanging trees.

heygrassman
09-14-2002, 09:22 PM
LGF?? FLexDeck??

Ranger... I am pretty sure that you can use FD on a 36" Metro 12.5 could be a lil threatening...

LAWNGODFATHER
09-14-2002, 09:59 PM
I don't know your whole situataion, but it would be a great addition to your repertiore.

Power in tall wet grass might be alittle short.

You could always remove it in the 20 seconds that would take. Would save bookoo trimming.

I know the feeling of low hanging trees, that's what we use it for the most.

Flex-Deck
09-14-2002, 10:55 PM
Ranger520 - The one you see is a 15 Kawasaki - I do have a customer that has one on a 13 HP beltdrive JD , but you must realize that hydro motors take more power. He gets along great, but I would definitly recommend the 15.

If you are a regular finish mower, and don't let things get out of hand you would be OK. But I would still recomment the biggest engine you can get - especially if you have a sulky that it has to pull.

Thanks, Brad - BTW - It is one hell of an attachment and will blow your mind if you ever get one.http://36X-Along Road-BBQ02-Good-Head Cut off

ProMo
09-15-2002, 10:18 AM
I was interested in the fd for my 36 tthp but it has cut like **** since i bought it and dont think it could handle this I posted on exmarks forum and then got a call saying the distributor would fix it under warranty I took it in and all they did was replace a 1 week old set of blades and belt and said i must have rolled the mower because it has a bent front frame Ive measured everything and cant see were anything is bent and it still cuts like its underpowered ive lost all my faith in exmarks product so will not be looking into adding this on the exmark maybe on a future mower if it will work well in thick st augestine grass

65hoss
09-15-2002, 10:43 AM
Promo, you put this here to slam on eXmark. I've been keeping up with your thread about this in the eXmark forum. They have given you great attention to your problems. Nobody else would have come close to helping you like they did. They have your machine working better than it ever has, as you yourself stated. You are going to be having it checked out in the off season when there is more time.

Now you come on this thread and say you've lost all faith? They have given you more attention than I've seen them give anyone. They have done several things on the machine, and it is way out of warrenty. They've done it just to help you out. I just don't get it!

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=30759&pagenumber=3

65hoss
09-15-2002, 10:49 AM
Sorry to get a little off topic Ranger. As far as your original question, I have the metro with 12.5 kawi. Its a good motor. It has real good torque. If your side discharging the 12.5 hp kawi should do fine.

1MajorTom
09-15-2002, 10:49 AM
Hoss is correct.
I have followed that thread in the eXmark forum closely too.

eXmark doesn't reply in the commerical forum. They use their MFR forum to answer questions, so I doubt they will see this.
But I hope members go to the thread that 65hoss posted, so they too can see how fairly eXmark has treated Promo.

ProMo
09-15-2002, 11:37 AM
i wasnt slamming, exmark hasnt even answered my last posts but this machine has problems it always has and still does my problem is in either the blade speed or the pto it shows adjusted then the next time i use it it shows the belt to tight i was trying to see how this flex deck would work in thick st aug grass and stated that i didnt think it would do well with the way my machine cuts i thought exmark was helping but it solved nothing if i spent the 250 dollars on a new frame its not going to solve the way this machine cuts if i wanted to slam exmark i would but im not

65hoss
09-15-2002, 11:58 AM
Promo,
As to the 12.5 hp kawi, flexdeck, and St. Augustine I think if you were cutting regularly and side discharging the 12.5 would handle it. If you are using the mulch kit I don't think it will under all circumstances. The 12.5 kawi has enough power to run the mulch kit well, but adding a FD to it and having heavy growth would be to much for it. I say all this as my opinion based on I mulch 100% of the time with my 36" metro. In ideal conditions with the mulch kit and FD it would be great.

ProMo
09-15-2002, 12:00 PM
oops my last 2 posts never showed up on exmarks forum that explains why they were never answered guess i have to retype them. I have the 15 kaw my post that didnt appear was asking about play in the front deck hangers because it seems exsessive,I want to get this machine right and would love to have some extra deck for my larger backyards im considering either the flex deck or looking into the hustler machine thats coming out due to trailer space

roscioli
09-15-2002, 12:27 PM
Ranger- I have the same mower and think the combo would work as long as you dont let the grass get too high. Also, keep in mind folks that this is a GEAR drive, meaning that most of the benefits of the FD (manuverability) would be gone. You cant pull up to things then back out of them easily, but you do get the extra deck space.
PROMO- Exmark has been WAY more than fair with you. I have read that entire post, and honestly, I wouldn't have been that fair. I applaud eXmark for their work with your mower. Also your posts are VERY difficult to read without any punctuation.

65hoss
09-15-2002, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by roscioli
Also, keep in mind folks that this is a GEAR drive, meaning that most of the benefits of the FD (manuverability) would be gone. You cant pull up to things then back out of them easily, but you do get the extra deck space.

Yep, its a gear drive. Exact machine I have. I've been convinced that having the extra cutting width with the FD is the better reason for having one than the trimming it could save. It wouldn't save us really anytime in trimming, but it would save lots of time when your in a 5000 sf back lawn with a 36". Pull thru the gate, and then drop the deck for a 54" cut instead of 36".

ranger520
09-15-2002, 12:52 PM
Thanks for all your grat comments. Just to add, most of the cuts that I do are weekly to every 10 days. I occationally get 1 acre to 1 1/2 acre lots to cut but most seem to be under 13000 ft2 and the extra 18" would pay for it self really quick. As for the manuverability of a gear drive, I am 5' 11" and 260 lbs and have muscles that I never new that i had before. I am manuvering the machine like would be required anyway. And I also do not use a sulkey so the 12.5 kawy is just taking care of the mower. Thanks again. by the way the mower has the best cut of anything in its class that I have demoed. You can not get anymore even then even.

ProMo
09-15-2002, 02:06 PM
yes exmark has great customer service ,the distributor said i have a bent frame wich i dont believe (nor would it cause the problems i see)anyways ill continue that topic with exmark hopefully they can help me resolve the issue with my machine wich i tried to have looked at while it was under warranty and was told there was nothing wrong with it, this machine according to my calculations has about 200 hrs on it. On to the topic of the flex deck I would like to see some pics of a thick st aug lawn cut with it on a wb because im going to try keep the ex for a few more years and have a few lg back yards with 38" gates

LAWNGODFATHER
09-15-2002, 02:35 PM
Promo you get that mower to Brad for a Flex-Deck and I will get it cutting like you think it is supposed to cut.

ProMo
09-15-2002, 03:22 PM
I just reposted to exmark and my wife took over (ouch) now im leaning more towards the flex instead of a new machine, If I can get this machine to cut the way my other mowers have ill be ready to try the flex deck (who wears the pants in my house lol)

Flex-Deck
09-15-2002, 09:44 PM
Thanks 65 Hoss and Roscioli - I think you both have a very good perception of what the Flex-Deck can do - And what it will work the best on

And since I have been chastized as to posting too many pics, I will not do one here

Thanks Again - Brad