PDA

View Full Version : Trading rent for mowing?

Johnny test
02-27-2011, 05:02 PM
I was recently offered a apartment in trade for mowing the property. The rent is normally about 750 per month. Has or does anyone else do this. What would be some pros and cons?

SDelPrete
02-27-2011, 05:06 PM
how big of an apartment complex is it?

Johnny test
02-27-2011, 05:11 PM
Well lets just say that the two are of equal retail value. At least I would adjust my services to make it equal.

MOturkey
02-27-2011, 07:04 PM
Sounds like a good deal. Just get it all in writing. How often to service the property, etc. Also, is the mowing covering the whole year, or just during the season?

Dogbonz
02-27-2011, 07:11 PM
I only do things for my wife in trade! ;)

JB1
02-27-2011, 07:32 PM
if you can make it works, it sounds good.

fatboynormmie
02-27-2011, 08:05 PM
I barter service work with my son's daycare provider and it work's out well for me.I also ended up with extra work from her other family members.Like someone else stated get it in writing.

jbalm
02-27-2011, 09:01 PM
Whenever you trade..make SURE its fair (if they are charging full price then you charge full price)...it is in writing (especially dealing with housing!!)...and don't forget to report it as income (it can/will bite you)

alexschultz1
02-27-2011, 09:07 PM
dude please tell me how you landed that, id love to pay rent for mowing the lawn

Clark Griswold
02-27-2011, 10:37 PM
Where you going to park your vehicle with all the lawn equipment?

Hope you have an enclosed!

sildoc
02-27-2011, 10:51 PM
I did that when I was a kid. Now I would prefer the cash!!!:laugh: I trade some work for my storage space. I come out way ahead. As stated before make sure you claim it or if and when you get audited they can place a price far above what it actually was.

eco.lawns
02-27-2011, 10:54 PM
con: complaining residents will know where you live

sildoc
02-27-2011, 11:41 PM
con: complaining residents will know where you live
very true. My parents always complained. And that was decades ago!!!:laugh:

CLS LLC
02-28-2011, 09:19 AM
If it is going to be of equal value, I don't see the benefit. The problem with bartering is someone will get screwed. If you're sure it's not going to be you then I guess there's no problem with it. But I'd rather you bill them your price, and they bill you their price. It still comes out to a wash, but no one ever feels screwed.

Although, on the flip side, this could work out for you either way, because you're trading a business expense for a personal one essentially taking $750 of income from your business tax free. So in that aspect it could work out. Although, that being said it also technically wouldn't be legal.

sweetz
02-28-2011, 09:29 AM
It would be legal, if he reports the income as business income.

CLS LLC
02-28-2011, 09:33 AM
It would be legal, if he reports the income as business income.

That's a big IF. And ultimately in my opinion would defeat the purpose of the barter at all. Then just bill for your service and pay your rent.

SDelPrete
02-28-2011, 10:15 AM
If its equal and neither party would get the "I'm being screwed" feeling then I don't personally see a problem with it. However not to sure if its legal but even if it only works for a bit then you guys can just bill each other and go from there.

sweetz
02-28-2011, 10:16 AM
That's a big IF. And ultimately in my opinion would defeat the purpose of the barter at all. Then just bill for your service and pay your rent.

The other part of it though, is he might not get the account if he doesn't barter. My shop is exactly the opposite though, they hire me for services on their property, pay me...then, I pay them.

hackitdown
02-28-2011, 10:45 AM
I trade plowing for winter equipment storage. Works for me.

93Chevy
02-28-2011, 10:47 AM
Don't trade services like that...it's tricky business. If he proposed the idea to you, that means he's got you by the balls. First one to suggest something like that knows they can get you.

I don't know the guy personally so I can't make a good character judgement. But all I'm saying is be careful.

I personally think it would be better to keep business as business...bill them like everybody else, and pay your rent like everybody else.

Johnny test
03-01-2011, 06:45 PM
Well, I gave them my bid on the property today. Turns out that the rent equaled about half of the retail value of the mowing services. Booo.

One thing I discovered is this. Normally I pay 600per month for a nice town home. They want to offer me a home valued at 750per month. Under normal circumstances I would not rent from these people at that price so I took the difference between the two rates and added that to my service charge. Now I will be getting that 750 dollar apartment for 600. I also threw in my storage cost.. Oooppps, If I get it yay! if not, no sweat off my balls... I figured its better to give them a offer "I" cant refuse than say "No"

Cross your fingers..LOL