PDA

View Full Version : Top Dressing Application's

Ray&Christine
02-27-2011, 07:03 PM
We want to buy a motorized top dresser spreader after 5 years of using wheelbarrows.

For each average lawn 50 x 120 ft with average house (approx. 3500 sqft of lawn) we use about 1 cubic yard of triple mix top soil when spread with a wheel barrow/shovel. Our customers seem satisfied with the results.

Our concern is if we buy a motorized top dresser spreader that it spread more evenly and we will be using 2-3 cubic yards instead of 1 cubic yard we are currently using on the lawn. If this is the case we will have to double triple our pricing.

We have never used a motorized top dresser. Do you think we can still get away with using 1 cubic yard of top soil for the above size lawns?

JDUtah
02-27-2011, 07:56 PM
In other words, do any top dressers apply as thin as 1 yard of compost to 3,500 square feet (or roughly one third of a yard per 1,000)?

Compostwerks LLC
02-27-2011, 09:21 PM
In other words, do any top dressers apply as thin as 1 yard of compost to 3,500 square feet (or roughly one third of a yard per 1,000)?

Yes JD, with ease.......

http://www.compostwerks.com/Eco-Lawn-Compost-Top-Dresser.html

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc417/compostwerks/top_detailled.jpg

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc417/compostwerks/DSC_0074.jpg

JDUtah
02-27-2011, 11:32 PM
Oh I know. I was waiting for someone with experience of an actual topdresser to respond. I spread 50 lbs of compost per 1k with my modified Spyker 288, albeit not with ease lol. (OP is asking for one that will spread roughly 264 lbs per 1k)

Ray&Christine
02-28-2011, 09:19 AM
We have opportunity to demo ecolawn topdresser at dealer's store but I find it hard to judge how much soil its applying.

we tried another topdresser 2 years ago in a backyard approx. 1,000 sq ft we must of used 15 bags of soil and it spread it heavy and we couldn't turn the machine (huge tire marks. It was a really heavy machine. How is the ecolawn topdresser for turning.

ICT Bill
02-28-2011, 10:50 AM
I know that guy, looks like that site needed a little organic matter

Compostwerks LLC
02-28-2011, 12:32 PM
We have opportunity to demo ecolawn topdresser at dealer's store but I find it hard to judge how much soil its applying.

we tried another topdresser 2 years ago in a backyard approx. 1,000 sq ft we must of used 15 bags of soil and it spread it heavy and we couldn't turn the machine (huge tire marks. It was a really heavy machine. How is the ecolawn topdresser for turning.

It's easily turned with one hand and will only leave marks in the turf if the ground is very wet.

A bit more effort is needed to turn the machine if it's stationary but it's pretty rare that you'll have to do that once you've experienced a short learing curve.

Ray&Christine
03-01-2011, 05:57 PM
I found this video on cubic yards of soil applied.

1 cubic yard of topsoil will do 1000 sq ft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcbH5cHKue8

so for 3000 sq ft. I will need 3 yards.

JFGauvreau
03-01-2011, 06:08 PM
Those are pretty nice and hold a lot of top soil, I'm pretty sure they aren't cheap either.

Snapper12
03-01-2011, 10:00 PM
We have two ecolawn top dressers and they are very good. They turn very easily and are easy to operate. (just make sure to keep it clean and use dry compost)

If your putting down compost, don't put down less than a yard per 1000sq ft.

Snapper12
03-01-2011, 10:03 PM
Also, a modification we made was to put a double wheel on the back. It is more balanced and handles heavy loads easier.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
03-02-2011, 12:55 PM
I would LOVE to get into topdressing, and the machines on the market are very good, but the price they command is so premium right now, it is forcing me to sit on the sidelines for a while.

JFGauvreau
03-02-2011, 01:10 PM
I would LOVE to get into topdressing, and the machines on the market are very good, but the price they command is so premium right now, it is forcing me to sit on the sidelines for a while.

Ya the machines are so much more efficient and profitable than using some wheel barrow and trowing dirt everything and then raking everything.

You need to expect to do a lot of top dressing in one season if you want to pay back those expensive machines.

Snapper12
03-02-2011, 09:42 PM
Also, you gotta think about hauling the compost. An 8,000 sq ft lawn requires 8 yards... you get the point. An acre requires an 18 wheeler load.

fl-landscapes
03-02-2011, 10:12 PM
We have two ecolawn top dressers and they are very good. They turn very easily and are easy to operate. (just make sure to keep it clean and use dry compost)
If your putting down compost, don't put down less than a yard per 1000sq ft.

or you can buy an earth and turf 100sp and not worry about whether or not the compost is dry.....just saying. I spread moist compost all the time with mine.

Snapper12
03-02-2011, 10:22 PM
Moist is ok. Wet is not.

Turf Tech
03-03-2011, 12:25 AM
I spread about 150 yards of compost very easy last year with my Eco Lawn. I cant imagine any other way of doing it. I hope to do about 250 yards of compost this year. It spreads as thin or as thick as you want. Moist compost is no problem. Wet compost will clump up and is a mess. I dont know of any spreader that does great with really wet compost that includes the SP100. I have an older Turfco F15 that is the same set up. It spreads wet stuff ok but it is just mud balls on the yard. The Turfco unit is like dancing with an elephant compared to the Eco Lawn. If anyone is looking for an old Turfco unit I will make you a deal.

fl-landscapes
03-03-2011, 11:03 AM
I spread about 150 yards of compost very easy last year with my Eco Lawn. I cant imagine any other way of doing it. I hope to do about 250 yards of compost this year. It spreads as thin or as thick as you want. Moist compost is no problem. Wet compost will clump up and is a mess. I dont know of any spreader that does great with really wet compost that includes the SP100. I have an older Turfco F15 that is the same set up. It spreads wet stuff ok but it is just mud balls on the yard. The Turfco unit is like dancing with an elephant compared to the Eco Lawn. If anyone is looking for an old Turfco unit I will make you a deal.

that old turfco doesnt compare to the sp100. The ecolawn isnt much more than a giant rotary spreader. Im not knocking it, Im sure its decent but no way does it compare to the conveyor and brush expelled system on the sp100. The sp100 is also clearly built to last a lot longer with superior materials. Maybe treegal can check in, she was going to be a dealer for ecolawn and she can give a good comparison. I run my sp 100 on hills full with one hand no problem and thats not an exaggeration its a fact. If Phasthound see's this maybe he can chime in. I know he loves his sp100 even though he is selling it because his business is going in a different direction.

Turf Tech
03-03-2011, 02:29 PM
My good friend is the Texas dealer for Ecolawn. I purchased his first unit. I looked at the Sp100 in Kentucky. I used both the units in the demo area. I liked the Eco more. If you like your Sp100 keep on trucking with it. I like my Eco pretty well don't think I will change anytime soon. Obviously it is pretty productive. If I can spread 150 cy per week. Like I said I hope to get up to 200-250cy per week.
Posted via Mobile Device

jonthepain
03-03-2011, 05:26 PM

i'd love to lose the wheelbarrow but the cost is prohibitive at the moment.

fl-landscapes
03-03-2011, 06:42 PM
My good friend is the Texas dealer for Ecolawn. I purchased his first unit. I looked at the Sp100 in Kentucky. I used both the units in the demo area. I liked the Eco more. If you like your Sp100 keep on trucking with it. I like my Eco pretty well don't think I will change anytime soon. Obviously it is pretty productive. If I can spread 150 cy per week. Like I said I hope to get up to 200-250cy per week.
Posted via Mobile Device

no doubt my friend, Im not trying to knock the product and I am sure its a good, productive machine. I just went with the sp100 for two reasons. I think it is built a little stronger and I think the system will spread moist compost better. I actually like the rotory action of the ecolawn spread as it is probably more forgiving and spreads a larger swath. 150 cy a week why dont you have a cushman mounted on a gator?

starry night
03-03-2011, 08:09 PM
150 cy a week why dont you have a cushman mounted on a gator?

fl: I was thinking the same thing. If I was spreading that much, I would be sittin' down for the ride.

jonthepain
03-03-2011, 08:35 PM
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e248/jonthepain/mulcher.jpg

starry night
03-03-2011, 08:46 PM
You don't have to worry about weight on a lawn with that rig. You just park in the street and shoot.

jonthepain
03-03-2011, 08:49 PM
is that awesome or what?

:D

JFGauvreau
03-03-2011, 09:59 PM
Lol a stone slinger, nice one

Turf Tech
03-07-2011, 03:07 PM
Cushmans and Gators dont go thru gates very well. My average yard is 6-12k sqft range.

starry night
03-07-2011, 03:42 PM
(sorry made a mis-post)